Learning Curves In Regard To Detector Sounds

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am hoping to finally move up to a higher class detector this year from an ACE 250. I think I have my choice narrowed down to the AT Pro or the Makro Racer. My question is how much of a learning curve did others deal with going from the straight bell tone of the 250 to a more modulated sound that the higher end units provide; regardless of the brand. It seems to me that it will be like going to another country and not knowing the language but once I get it, a whole new world of detecting will open up to me. I'm curious as to how long that process usually takes for other people.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm only vaguely familiar with the AT pro's sounds, and know nothing of the Macro Racer's sounds. But I will answer your question from the perspective of one of the more difficult machines to learn the sounds of: The explorers, sov's, and excals. The tooty-fluty sounds will drive you banannas, if you're not used to it. At first everything sounds the same, deep versus shallow, and TID's are hard to distinguish between, etc.... So here's some tricks for ANY machine where this is an issue:

a) take the machine out to a park that's prolific with modern easy clad. Set the disc. up to reject everything except copper penny/dime and up. Dig 50+ coins.

b) Next day, return, but lower the disc. down to where you accept zinc. Repeat process.

c) Next day, return and lower the disc. down to corroded zincs and beefy square tabs area. Repeat process.

d) Next day return and lower the disc. down to accept round tabs. Repeat.

e) Next day lower to nickel.

f) Next day lower to foil.

THEN the "lights go on" as to all the different sounds. Another good tip is to hook up with someone proficient. Ie.: someone who routinely comes in with the deeep turf oldies. Have him flag some suspected deep silver signals. Conversely, you flag some for him, to see why he would or wouldn't pass it.

Because printed instructions can never do justice to things that involve "sound" and "tones". They have to be "heard", not "read about".

OP
OP
F

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try that when the time comes. As far as hooking up with someone more proficient, that has proven more difficult. I know there are others in the area but in the past four years I have yet to see any.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you arent going to have to learn a whole new language....just a few phrases.Its really not that bad.Toms advice is really good.Any new machine takes 50-100 hrs of use to be competant with,just does.You will be finding things and having fun during that time also.
dont fret

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread