SHOULD I TAKE MY MDs ON A PLANE OR SHIP THEM?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im considering a plane trip where I'd like to take my 2 detectors (Ace 250s- one for the friend Im visiting). I still have the boxes they came in ( the detectors collapse into 2 pieces). Should I take them on the plane (as baggage, Im assuming) or send them ahead via shipping? Thanks...
If they are small enough to fit in your carry on I would go that route, I would not transport them in their boxes, your asking for them to be damaged or them to be "lost"....... I have hardwired golf case for mine...

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
I have flown with detectors (Infinium and GB Pro) cross-country from Ohio to California, always taken down and packed into carry-on bags, I always kept the alkaline batteries in the control boxes in case TSA wanted to see them operating. Never any questions, although once in LA they got swabbed. I think there are rules that impose size limits on Lithium batteries, not sure if things like the Minelab GPX series run into any trouble on that point; it would be interesting to know if so.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just disassemble mine and put them in a checked suitcase along with the rest of my gear and some detecting clothes for padding. I use bubblewrap around the control head and any other sensitive areas. So far, so good. Check with your airline on what added baggage would cost. it might be cheaper to ship.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a problem taking one on a plane even though an Excalibur looks like a fancy bomb. Pack it well if not putting it in a carry on. I've had more problems with shampoo bottles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions