Whites Sierra Madre v.s TDI v.s What I already have for depth only?

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that has experience with the Sierra Madre please chime in. What i'm interested in is depth only, nothing else matters in this case. All I'm looking for is something to supplement the two box in tight locations and am wondering which route I should go. Right now all I have are Sovereigns with 15 inch WOT's. With the same sized coils, which machine will get the greatest depth in all metal, non disc mode? Does the pulse go deeper than the Sierra Madre with the same size coils? Assume ground conditions are perfect with no mineralization. Please help,Thanks.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
treasure-salvor, you don't say the type targets you are looking for. Eg.: individual coins and jewelry ? Relics? Caches? nuggets? etc... But based on your mention of having a two-box type already, I'm going to guess your goal is caches, right ? Ie.: jar and box sized items, right?

If so, stick with the 2-box. NOT a TDI or Sov's with 15" coils, or various nugget setups. Sure they might go as deep, OR EVEN DEEPER. The reason you want to stick with a 2-box unit, is that all the other machines listed, will have the annoying side-effect of hearing every other items as well. Ie.: all the small target (coins, tabs, nails, etc...) will sound off. Thus requiring you to spend all day and night trying to second-guess large versus small. Instead, just use the 2-box unit, which won't pick up any object smaller than a soda can.

The depths on a 2-box, versus there other machines you list, on a soda or toaster sized object, will be about the same. But even if it's true that some other sort of coin or nugget or pulse machine went deeper on same-target, I'd still stick with the 2-box. For the very reason mentioned. That is, if your sole desire is for the big items , and you don't wish to fiddle with scores of little junk to weed through.

but if you're still un-convinced, and want depth at whatever cost, then sure: Go get yourself one of those super-powered minelab nugget pulse machines. Then take it out to ruins to detect at. Let us know how you do. I think you will *quickly* change your mind, and realize that "balls-to-the-walls" sensitivity is not always the best goal, for cache hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasuresalvor

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the response Tom. Jar and Coffee can/small box size caches are what I'm after right now. Ignoring the small stuff and covering a lot of ground are the advantages to the two box and I wouldn't trade it for anything but I guess it was just some wishful thinking on my part that I could make one of those other machines do the same thing. Ignoring the small stuff is a must and I know I can't do that with the Sovereign but wasn't sure about the Sierra Madre with a big coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread