Cherry picking

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you cherry pick when detecting? By cherry pick I mean only go after more "desirable" targets. You that have been detecting for a while probably know what I mean. For instance with my detector I can usually quite easily tell by my signal if I'm abut to dig up a Zincoln or a quarter or whatever, you get the idea. Just thought I would share the other night I reverted back to digging basically everything and it was kind of fun to see what I came up with although I didn't find anything valuable. Share your thoughts. Thanks.

Upvote 0

toadspaghetti

Dec 19, 2014
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess all I do is cherry pick. I have yet to re-visit any place that I've detected at.... mostly yards. I work slowly and grid everything with overlapping passes. I don't think I am missing much.... But I do pass up a lot of targets with scratchy tones that show ferrous with iron audio. Maybe I'll go back after I've detected every old yard in MN. :)

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, Where I live. Their are limited places to go on land. I can go to the beach{salt water} or hunt on little land that is here. So where I go is mine {sort of speck}. Ha HA Like if I'm going down a path in the woods for the first time. I'll take the best easy area and move fast thru it to see what's their. If interested, I'll go back later on. But I have such small area of land here. That I have to get to the spots first before other start looking. I do this 7 days a week in warm weather. Then if someone see's me detecting and trys to go behind me. I'll know the area better from my finds. Then I will got back to get the harder stuff. If someone goes behind me. They will think it's not a good area. Hope this helps. But sounds like you don't have a land problem. Try walking the tops of hills in the woods.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it sometimes when in a hurry.But it is not good practice imo.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree Diglron2, With me its about how much time I have that day vers how much area I want to cover. It would be nice to just dig everything but like the other day I did a ballfield and only had about 20 min so I just worked the bleachers seating because it was all gravel- couldn't get on field at all anyway it was all soft mud. I know its a tradeoff but ya got to weigh your options!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also tend to cherry pick with limited time but as of late have made more time to detect and with more time I slow down and dig more targets. I guess my line of thinking is that a lot of the places I've hunted have been hunted quit a bit, so my best chance of finding something decent might be digging signals a lot of others have passed up.

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always cherry pick a new site. If I find a few dimes then I figure nobody searched it well. Then I slow down and dig mid tones

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it all comes down to how trashy the place is. I tend to find some trashy public areas near me to hunt and if I dug it all I would literally be digging every few feet at some of these sites and even with being careful digging nice plugs it still will look bad if they are almost all touching. So most of the time, I put the AT gold in disc 1, iron discrim up to 44 and dig repeatable signals that don't bounce too much. I do know I a miss stuff this way, but it just seems like a better experience in trashed out sites.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
P.S. These photos are right side up on my phone but as soon as I get them on the computer they are inevitably sideways, I don't know how to fix it.....sorry:BangHead:

That's because vertical photos aren't actually "right side up" on your phone. Your phone has the ability to view them vertically, but that's a "Feature." Photographs and videos are meant to be taken sideways on your phone. (think "televisions are always horizontal") Vertical works on phones, because so many folks take them that way (and the phone makers allow viewing on the phone).

If you really want to fix this problem before uploading, put the picture on a computer, then rotate the image, then save it. Upload from the newly saved rotated photo.

Personally, I've just started taking them sideways all the time... it definitely speeds things up!

Cheers,

Skippy

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well slowing down and digging more targets didn't help me this weekend, detected for 6 hours between Saturday and Sunday and the most valuable thing I found was a quarter. Sooo many pull tabs I thought about starting a collection:laughing7: I am not discouraged, I learned a valuable lesson, research doesn't always pay off if other people are also researching and the spots have been hunted to death. I was at areas that were open to the public but had some history to them, funny thing was I went about 100 yards from an old swimming hole(popular in the 30's) and started hitting coins(clad) like crazy, I guess what I'm saying is everyone is concentrating on the same spot and completely skipping areas in very close proximity that could very well have old coins. If I get time to detect this weekend I am going back to the "ignored" area and pounding it, other than that I will hit a couple popular soccer fields in search of modern drops.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If its a colonial site, I'll dig everything except foil, and I'll dig iron if it sounds good since I've found a lot of cool iron relics, too. Naturally I favor the high signals above all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread