Underwater and Beach Metal Detector for South Florida - Recommendation wanted

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for an underwater metal detector working in the water close to the beach and for the beach too that I have to carry just one with me. I finally decided to try my luck snorkeling in the water with a detector.

Any recommendations for a good working underwater detector working on the beach too?

I'm located in South Florida, maybe you also know a local dealer ( I prefer to buy local and not online).

THANKS!

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi oddapp. I have NO complaints whatsoever with my Excalibur in the water (most of my beach hunting is in less than 10 ft. of water) - works great on dry sand beach too, but can get a little heavy after a while out of the water. There are some less expensive options you can go with, depending on how serious you are with hobby. As far as dealers go (I am also in Florida), I have had good results with Kellyco (close to Orlando) and Meyers (in Tampa) - not familiar with dealers in south Fl - happy hunting!
oldsurfer

I found the Kellyco store online and asked about pick-up and what they have in stock. These guys love to talk hunting, I guess. Probably they can introduce me a little bit. I tell you, I'm very excited to start.

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are used ones for sale cheaper...

By the way! I really like your statement:

WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE!

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you buy the Sand Shark with a 8" or a 10" coil? And why?

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks penzfan! May take you up on that in the near future. Been using the Excalibur more out of the water than in the water lately...gets a little heavy after a couple hours. Just recently got an AT Pro, but it seems to be pretty chatty in wet sand...will PM you if I decide to go with the chest mount

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
There is absolutely no other choice for beach detecting at a good location other then a Garret ATX. The actual platform is used by the the US government, but not before getting rejected about two dozen times. Its is basically the only mainstream upper midrange metal detector designed respectfully for its end users in mind.
The only problem is it will find everything. Its endless, you will be digging pennies from 30 inches all day and all night. It has a basic discrimination feature for iron, but that doesn't really provide much relief. This is basically the machine you want to know and use well next time ideal conditions present themselves. (Every ten years)

#2 for the money is still the Minelab SGT lightly used all day for $650 on EBAY. The control unit is not submersible.
Beach detecting trash discrimination absolutely equal or better then the CTX.
How? I don't know. It's just more sensitive if you know how to use it. Also it gets your face out of the LCD screen and makes you start concentrating on the signals.

If you like working on stuff, experimenting with electronic components, putting together puzzles, arts and crafts, working with glue and exotic resins, get an excaliber II

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For working in the water the 8" coil! Because it goes as deep as the 10.5" and is much easier to use in surf at the beach.

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no other choice for beach detecting at a good location other then a Garret ATX. The actual platform was rejected by the US government about two dozen times. Its is basically the only mainstream upper midrange metal detector designed respectfully for its end users in mind.
The only problem is it will find everything. Its endless, you will be digging pennies from 30 inches all day and all night. It has a basic discrimination feature for iron, but that doesn't really provide much relief. This is basically the machine you want to know and use well next time ideal conditions present themselves. (Every ten years)

#2 for the money is still the Minelab SGT lightly used all day for $650 on EBAY. The control unit is not submersible.
How? I don't know. It's just more sensitive if you know how to use it. Also it gets your face out of the LCD screen and makes you start concentrating on the signals.

If you like working on stuff, experimenting with electronic components, putting together puzzles, arts and crafts, working with glue and exotic resins, get an excaliber II

Thank you very much for your friendly explanation!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no other choice for beach detecting at a good location other then a Garret ATX. The actual platform was rejected by the US government about two dozen times. Its is basically the only mainstream upper midrange metal detector designed respectfully for its end users in mind.

"
If you like working on stuff, experimenting with electronic components, putting together puzzles, arts and crafts, working with glue and exotic resins, get an Excalibur II " Comment made my night ha ha :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would depend on whether you're going to spend most of your time hunting in the water or out. I use an Excalibur in the water. I have one with the stock coil and one with the 15" WOT coil. The smaller coil IS easier to swing but the large coil covers more ground. Out of the water, the bigger the coil, the better. As for your decision of which detector to buy.....just how much iron junk are you willing to dig? You can overcome most of the weight problems with just about any machine so don't let that stop you. I use a hip mount with that big WOT coil on the Excalibur and I don't need a sling. It's a bit nose heavy but not bad. With the 15" WOT on the E-trac, now that is heavy! I definitely use a sling with that combo. If price is an issue, the Sand Shark is a good choice, but, if you don't want to dig as much iron, Minelab is the way to go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with cuda, there is a lot of iron trash on south Florida beaches, when I hunt I use only 15" coils and I love the excals ability to skip all the iron....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it's only going to get worse. With all the good discriminating beach machines we have today, not as much iron is getting scooped up and tossed out, but, more is being added daily.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with OBN. The Excalibur is super easy to use. It's sand and water proof. If one part is down. Then you need to send in whole machine. The coil weight went down on the newer ones. I have one. I love it. I had a fisher and was impressed with how well it worked. Depth about the same. Really good. It doesn't have a NiMH rechargeable battery's which I like better. But both work well. You will be happy with which ever one you chose.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you very much for your friendly explanation!

If I was selling you metal detectors you would be elated by how nice a guy I am. You would have been charmed off your feet.
Well, should I have written something like, "For only $2500 I have easily found treasure beyond my wildest dreams"?
Or would you prefer a sincere recount of my experiences and opinions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was selling you metal detectors you would be elated by how nice a guy I am. You would have been charmed off your feet.
Well, should I have written something like, "For only $2500 I have easily found treasure beyond my wildest dreams"?
Or would you prefer a sincere recount of my experiences and opinions?

I don't understand! I'm just very thankful for your honest words! That helps me a lot to make a decision!

Apr 6, 2015
Treasure Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites Dual Field, all the way !!!!
I'm looking for an underwater metal detector working in the water close to the beach and for the beach too that I have to carry just one with me. I finally decided to try my luck snorkeling in the water with a detector.

Any recommendations for a good working underwater detector working on the beach too?

I'm located in South Florida, maybe you also know a local dealer ( I prefer to buy local and not online).

THANKS!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For hunting the beaches in south Florida I would choose a Minelab Excalibur over PI, way too much trash there on the the beaches and in the water.....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I own two Excaliburs. The 800 and the 1000. The difference between them is the 800 has an 8" coil and the 1000 has the 10" coil.
I have never had a problem with either of my Excals! Both are mounted on carbon fiber shafts by plugger and are incredibly balanced easy to swing detectors!
Of the two my first choice would be the Excalibur II WITH THE 10" coil! Concerning prices, I bought the one with a 10" coil used for $899 and have had zero problems with it!
The Excal with the 8" coil I bought new for $869 complete when Amazon.com had a one day sale where I got lucky!
I own the CTX 3030 but the learning curve is steep but I love it! Also bought it used so I saved a ton of money!
Hands down my first choice is the Excalibur! You'll be glad you did!
Best of luck!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Whites Dual Field and not a Sand Shark? Can you tell me why you would buy the Whites?
The Whites is lighter and has a bigger search coil. That would be enough for me to choose the Whites. I would still go with an Excalibur over either of the other two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread