Underwater and Beach Metal Detector for South Florida - Recommendation wanted

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for an underwater metal detector working in the water close to the beach and for the beach too that I have to carry just one with me. I finally decided to try my luck snorkeling in the water with a detector.

Any recommendations for a good working underwater detector working on the beach too?

I'm located in South Florida, maybe you also know a local dealer ( I prefer to buy local and not online).

THANKS!

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Minelab Excalibur or Fisher CZ21., ... KellyCo

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I get an upgrade highly considering an at pro because of the all terrain ability in water and out will the at pro perform okay in the brackish water of the Chesapeake?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's not deep water (less than 10') I'd go with a CTX3030. Excalibur, CZ21 are great choices to, especially if it's deeper, and if it's not a junky area, a PI machine....in that order. An AT Pro is not a great salt water machine.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Excalibur or Sand Shark. GL and HH

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

The CZ21 ($1,500) is a lot cheaper then the CTX3030 ($2,500). The difference pays off?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to drive from Chicago to Miami and take a suitcase with me. What car should I buy?

What detector? How much you got? Do you want PI or VLF? Are you going 3' 10' or 200' deep? How about iron discrimination? What type of targets are you going after? Will you also buy a beach scoop? Which machines do you have experience with? And there are not very many beaches in the Key's where you can get wet with a detector for that matter.

Try going through the head to head comparisons, reading the threads about the performance of the detector, then get a little more specific about your request.

But, I suggest a Infinium LS, or an Excal, or the Tiger Shark or a Bounty Hunter, or a....

Last edited:
OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to drive from Chicago to Miami and take a suitcase with me. What car should I buy?

What detector? How much you got? Do you want PI or VLF? Are you going 3' 10' or 200' deep? How about iron discrimination? What type of targets are you going after? Will you also buy a beach scoop? Which machines do you have experience with? And there are not very many beaches in the Key's where you can get wet with a detector for that matter.

Try going through the head to head comparisons, reading the threads about the performance of the detector, then get a little more specific about your request.

But, I suggest a Infinium LS, or an Excal, or the Tiger Shark or a Bounty Hunter, or a....

I don't have any experience in the water. I would hunt in the Keys as well as the West Coast of FL. I wouldn't go deep. I stay very close to the beach and I will not use a scuba - just snorkeling. More or less shallow water hunting.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I don't have any experience in the water. I would hunt in the Keys as well as the West Coast of FL. I wouldn't go deep. I stay very close to the beach and I will not use a scuba - just snorkeling. More or less shallow water hunting.
Excalibur...

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Excalibur and Sand Shark are made for salt...

Both most excellent recommendations.

The only thing left to decide now is how deep you want to dig, VLF or PI?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8" coil Sand Shark is all you'll need!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you!

The CZ21 ($1,500) is a lot cheaper then the CTX3030 ($2,500). The difference pays off?
Between those two......the CTX gives you much more versatility and easily interchangeable coils along with a bit more depth. Don't get me wrong, the CZ21 is a fine machine, but, I'd rather have a larger search coil and a visual readout. I prefer hunting with discrimination capability also, that's why I would pass on a PI machine unless you KNOW your search area is relatively junk free or you'll be digging all kinds of scrap iron. The top of the line VLF detectors go just as deep as most of the PI machines anyway, so, why put up with that aggravation.

OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excalibur...

Thank you, penzfan. I found some very good reviews and a bad review too:

I purchased one of these $1198 Minelab Excalibur ll after reading that they were the very best. I used it many times for about 3 months and I didn't find anything worth it. I also have a $212 land detector and with this I've found 11 rings (2 Gold) and 2 Gold chains in just over 4 months. The knobs (of the Excal) are cheap, the headphones are not good quality and the detector is very heavy. Needles to say I was very dissapointed with the Excalibur ll and sold it. Sorry but I really have no reason to recommend it.

I think I should decide between

- Minelab Excalibur ll ($1,499)
- Tesoro Sand Shark 8" ($577)
- Fischer CZ21 ($1,500)

I really don't know what to do. For me, it's hard to understand that I can get a $577 machine more or less doing the same job as the more expensive ones. Are there any hunters working with one of these listed detectors?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excal knobs are designed in such a way to prevent damage to the delicate pots inside, by failing before over torquing on the pot. Most people put aftermarket knobs on when that happens, but you have to be careful not to wrench down on them and break something internally. For hunting out of the water the best setup is a rear mounted straight shaft.
The cz-21 is a very tough machine but its stock shaft setup has worse balance than the stock excal. I hip mount the control and it is enjoyable to use with the lightweight 8" coil.
I have owned the Sand Shark and if you don't mind digging more it's a good value for the money. The whites dual field is also a good Pi machine you may want to consider.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oddapp

oddapp

Mar 20, 2015
Key West, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend more to the Minelab Excalibur ll but my feeling says that a lot of Tnet members would prefer the Tesoro Sand Shark. I really don't know what to do and I would like to buy this week to hunt at the weekend :hello2:

By the way - I will write a nice report with some photos from my first hunt for sharing here.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think I should decide between

- Minelab Excalibur ll ($1,499)
- Tesoro Sand Shark 8" ($577)

I really don't know what to do. For me, it's hard to understand that I can get a $577 machine more or less doing the same job as the more expensive ones. Are there any hunters working with one of these listed detectors?

oddapp, I own both machines you have listed above. I've had my Sand Shark with 10" coil for about 1 year now and it locates VERY deep targets. However, it does not discriminate so you dig all targets. I've had my Blue Excal 1000 for about 3 months now and really like the discrimination and sensitivity of this machine. I bought the Excal used and had some work done on it by a fellow TNet member and have about the same amount of $ invested in it as in my SS. There are deals to be found on both machines and both resell very well on any of the forums. Tesoro's service is second to none and Kellyco performs great service on Minelab units. GL and HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are used ones for sale cheaper...

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi oddapp. I have NO complaints whatsoever with my Excalibur in the water (most of my beach hunting is in less than 10 ft. of water) - works great on dry sand beach too, but can get a little heavy after a while out of the water. There are some less expensive options you can go with, depending on how serious you are with hobby. As far as dealers go (I am also in Florida), I have had good results with Kellyco (close to Orlando) and Meyers (in Tampa) - not familiar with dealers in south Fl - happy hunting!
oldsurfer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread