Just a bad day

vilechild

Jan 20, 2015
Upstate, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it me or does anyone else have those days that just don't go right. I head out to one of my usual spots and there's people everywhere. So I head to a couple other places (old high schools repurposed for other things) and yet again shot down on both, more people just standing around. So I just gave up and headed home grumbling. Just one of those days. But it leads me to a question I always tend to stay away from public places when people are in the area. Does anyone else do that or is it just me.

Upvote 0

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always have a back up plan or 3 for places to detect.

Wednesday afternoon I was heading to this old house to knock on a door and ask permission. Well the people working at the house left right when I got there. So I hunted an old lot right down the road that is now owned by the school. This lot had an old house and I have picked this site clean over the last two years... or so I thought. The last few trips there did't yield a single coin.

After a couple of hours I found a few memorial pennies, a DEEP 37 buffalo, and a 1951 dime! Bad days can always get better.

I don't mind a crowd, but if a park is super packed I'll just go somewhere else. This time of year the parks are super busy because it is finally warm out and everyone just wants to get out of the house. Wait until the first summer heat wave hits and they won't be nearly as active.

rykroll

Mar 26, 2014
Annapolis, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, SeaHunter Mark 2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell me about it I found an 1884 Indian head penny today, put it in my pocket went to grab it to show later that day and it was gone I was so mad just a bad day

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think people are fascinated by metal detectors and the unknown. I believe their desire to learn about metal detecting gets in the way of good common sense. Think back to before you owned one yet had a desire to try one out. I know I wanted to walk straight up to detectorists and quiz them on what they've found before I started.

I've had a similar situation happen to me while fly fishing at state or national parks. Guys want you to teach them how to cast or just let them have a go at it so they know whether they should ever buy a fly rod or not. Photographers are also always trying to take my picture while fly fishing in the more accessible sections. Flattering yes, but in today's world I would rather not have my picture floating around the web. Plus, who knows what kind of money they're making off my image. Why don't they invest hundreds of dollars in fly fishing gear (more like thousands, but don't tell my wife) so they can create their own tranquil trout stream photo?

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like crowds when I'm detecting. I find a spot where they ain't to start and work from there.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a problem going where people are. I simply like to give them about a 20 yard berth.

-Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread