My experience with discrimination and notching, whats yours

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
My experience with discrimination and notching, what's yours

I have to give this a long story so you can see the progression of my detecting addiction, with commentary on the machines I loved and lost. It started about 15 years ago, at the beach. I picked up a Whites Prism 4 on a family vacation whim. Not much luck at the beach, and some luck at home. I had a neighbor who saw I was testing the waters, so he helped me along. I soon acquired a Whites XLT which at the time was second to the DFX in MD circles. It was a complicated machine, with adjustments that were to many to recall. I did well with this, however, I thought I was missing the "deep stuff." God was I hooked. I then procured a Minelab ExpII with all it's musical tunes. This machine did well, discrimination wise, but was information overload to the ears. I would find myself becoming a zombie working it. You could not go at a fast clip, slow was the way to go.

So a divorce cleaned me out of my MD machines, and I borrowed a CZ-5 to deal with my fix. I liked it, much simpler, and did just as well. Up to this point I would set discrimination on the machines, sometimes notch, and still get beeps/signals in the unwanted range. I found this very frustrating. My good friend who I hold responsible for my MD addiction was using Tesoro umax, and doing much better, he had the experience. He was more focused on the sound, raising the coil, and digging damn near everything. I seemed to be the one who cleared the area of trash.

My next machine I decided to go simplicity, and got a Tejon. I like it, if forces me to listen to the sound, and I still have dual disc. I'll thumb the disc up and down on a target (usually gets dug). I can say that I have found some relics of small size at depths of 7-8 inches, coins, similar depths at times. I have not experienced the "phenomenal" depth of the Tejon, though I like it. I have a 12x15 wot coil for it to however its use is limited to cut or tilled fields. Some of my buddies were raving about the F-75 for years, and I finnally bought a used one to hopefully join in their success. I have acclimated to the F-75 (when I felt like using a more techie machine), and found some nice finds. The discrimination/notch on this machine is the same. I can say that my experience with desc/notch is not the norm reported here. If I am in a trashy area, I still get those signals and have go move slow. My last name is Rush, so you see my issue. I will get to a point and just get tired of digging tabs/junk/foil and then I will let something there, that my buddy will pick.

I will say this. My MD endeavors are not linear, I go in spurts. There can be time of alot of MDing, and times when life interferes. I have gotten to points with my MD (tejon & f-75) where I was "one" with the instrument. I was focusing on the sound, not the numbers. Then I let life interfere, and I have to work to get that back. Here I am at the beginning of a new hopeful season, hoping to have a better understanding of what I am hearing.

Whats your thoughts?

Chuck

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread