Somethings I worry about...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Swinging the coil over dog poop and having it sound off solid gold.
2) Having a little kid come grab my coin out of the hole and me wonder if it's good form to take it back...
3) Falling over if a dog comes and tackles me. It's hard enough to stand up after kneeling for hours digging... Be even harder if I've "fallen and can't get up."
4) Having a bystander spot what I dig, and claim it as theirs.
5) Having to explain to folks for the umpteenth time that what I'm doing is legal.
6) Discriminating out iron in a tot-lot and missing a rusty nail that results in some poor kid having to get a tetanus shot.
7) FINDING the rusted out nail in the cutical of my finger while wiping away the bark chips
8) Dropping my really cool finds
9) Someone badmouthing my kid who is just at the distance of earshot and also metal detecting... lame.
10) my plug flaps won't be perfect and they'll show up later... I really worry about that one, especially on hard digs

Things I don't worry about:
1) My digger tool looks like a dagger. Keeps cranks at bay
2) My headphones making me look weird. I'm not that good looking anyway.
3) Wearing only one knee pad. I don't bend down on both knees anyway
4) Only finding a "penny" while someone is watching me. Heck it could be a 1955 doubled die, for all I know.
5) Selling my finds. They're my finds.
6) Whether or not I can actually find the owner of that ring. I do due diligence, but I've not found a single owner, yet. Would be nice to, someday, though.
7) Hating people who drop bottle caps. A pox on their privates, I say. I'm comfortable with this hate.
8) Getting excited over junk jewelry. Who cares if it's not real, I'm there for the adrenaline rush of when it pops out anyway!
9) Giving away all my cleaned up junk jewelry to my nieces. They love it, even if I am that "Crazy Uncle."
10) Creaky joints at the end of the day. They'll heal, and I'll be good to go tomorrow!

How about you all?

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I worry about? My stamina.. I can work hard all day and not feel it...but when I beep, after 2 or 3 hours, I'm done. Why is that? Is it because I am getting old?
What I don't worry about? What others think of my hobby....

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 things:

Running out of spots to search.
Finally hitting the mother-lode of all mother-load cache's, and then all of a sudden I'm rushed from all angles by people trying to take it all away from me.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I worry about? My stamina.. I can work hard all day and not feel it...but when I beep, after 2 or 3 hours, I'm done. Why is that? Is it because I am getting old?

Maybe its aging or perhaps its working hard all day. The irony of life you spend your life working hard to get to where you want to be, in order to afford to do the things you enjoy. Only to realize your now too beat up and tired to do them.

I have no worries while detecting as if the entire world just stops!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great read, Skippy! Thank you for that. Good fun along with my morning cup!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest worry would be finding something cool letting other know and then losing it because its illegal to own or it was stolen.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my biggest worry....hmmm...getting nailed by a meteorite.My biggest non worry...whether someone else gets nailed by a meteorite(as long as I find it after)

other than my obsession with space rocks I have never found anyways I guess warm beer scares the heck out of me....the humanity !!!:occasion14:

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I worry that I will never be lucky enough to swing my AT gold over real gold.. I don't worry that It won't find it if I do ;-)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None of my top 50 worries involve metal detecting in any way. Maybe not even in the top 100 if I include work-related concerns.

I do this to get away from my worries for a while and clear my head.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Take it from me, don't get old! There is no future in it!

JimK

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think it's because working all day you take mini-breaks. We don't really break when we're metal detecting. It's a constant thing.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 things:

Running out of spots to search.
Finally hitting the mother-lode of all mother-load cache's, and then all of a sudden I'm rushed from all angles by people trying to take it all away from me.

OH yeah. Both of those are VERY good...

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my biggest worry....hmmm...getting nailed by a meteorite.My biggest non worry...whether someone else gets nailed by a meteorite(as long as I find it after)

other than my obsession with space rocks I have never found anyways I guess warm beer scares the heck out of me....the humanity !!!:occasion14:

YOu actually made me Laugh Out Loud for real. I could just see that in my head. :)

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1) Swinging the coil over dog poop and having it sound off solid gold.

I got my first metal detector for my birthday when I was like 10 years old. Prior to me opening it, my parents had apparently gone out on the porch and thrown a couple of handfuls of change around the yard so I'd have some easy stuff to find. My dad, being my dad, took it a step further and pushed a quarter firmly down in a fresh pile of basset hound crap. I remember finding it, I remember him thinking it was hilarious, but I don't remember what I did after I found it, although I'd like to think I left it there.....on the other hand, a quarter used to be a lot of money for a 10 year old kid.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my first metal detector for my birthday when I was like 10 years old. Prior to me opening it, my parents had apparently gone out on the porch and thrown a couple of handfuls of change around the yard so I'd have some easy stuff to find. My dad, being my dad, took it a step further and pushed a quarter firmly down in a fresh pile of basset hound crap. I remember finding it, I remember him thinking it was hilarious, but I don't remember what I did after I found it, although I'd like to think I left it there.....on the other hand, a quarter used to be a lot of money for a 10 year old kid.

That is a priceless memory. :) Kudos for your parents being awesome. The crappy quarter just makes it even more fun. AWESOME share. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest worry is getting too old to detect....or maybe still young enough to swing the coil but, too decrepit to recover the target....that would be agony!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's where Grandkids come in, I think. Or maybe Great Grandkids...

My biggest worry is getting too old to detect....or maybe still young enough to swing the coil but, too decrepit to recover the target....that would be agony!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread