What is fair ?

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking about looking around on two different peoples property. Both of these people are really good friends. They have already said I can come and search their property but I want to know what to do if I find something pretty valuable. I want to do the right thing if I do find something valuable because I feel like it would bother me if I just dont say anything to them should I find something. Should I just keep my mouth shut and then get them a equal/fair amount of a gift card that I think would be fair ?
What are some of the arrangements that have been made when it comes to MDing on a friends property ?

Upvote 0

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Discuss it before you go. Just bring up the situation and see what their opinion is, if they want a slice of the treasure at that point you are very clear on what to do, if not you won't have any guilt.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usally show them what I find anyway so as to make them at ease that I am not ripping them off. Most of the time they let me keep my finds. Stay up front with them on everything so you can stay friends and keep your places to hunt..

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finders keepers there bud.... if they want to keep anything found in their lawn I suggest they buy themselves their own AT Gold, and hunt it themselves. Don't feel any shame or guilt for keeping what you find, afterall, why are you hunting it?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there are people who will tell you to keep quiet, and not mention anything you find so that you can hoard it for yourself. To each their own. When I make arrangements to hunt the property of friends and family, I insist that if I find something valuable that I would sell, they get 50%. However, I don't typically sell anything that I find, because this hobby is not about the potential for earning for me. I love the hunt and the discovery of history.

Now, when you are asking permission on a cold call to strangers, it is important to establish a clear agreement. I've heard stories of people getting permission, and then the landowner demands that the finds be given to him/her. The best bet is to have open and honest dialogue with the person.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again the answer has been given. Thx for the help.
I will talk to them about it and that way its clear from the get go.
Problem is that I know both of them and they will both say its all mine but I dont agree with that.
Besides that it might be a very valuable learning experience for me.
Thx

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again the answer has been given. Thx for the help.
I will talk to them about it and that way its clear from the get go.
Problem is that I know both of them and they will both say its all mine but I dont agree with that.
Besides that it might be a very valuable learning experience for me.
Thx

If they said it's all mine I wouldn't hunt it, you would be literally a golden retriever for someone at that point.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that "mine" as in "yours" or "mine" as in "theirs?" If they are saying "theirs", my reply would be "thanks anyway." If "yours", and you do find something of significant value, simply offer them what you think would be fair. Keep in mind, you are the one that has invested $$$ in the equipment that it takes to find this stuff! In any case, if you find something that can be traced to them or their family, I would always give that back regardless of value.
i.e. a toy from their childhood or their mother's gold ring.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I should have been more clear. They would say all mine because they wouldnt want anything in return. They would want me to keep it all.
Heck I dont even know if I will find anything yet.
Anyway thanks for all the help. You all have brought up some very good points I will consider.
I guess as long as I dont hoard it all and give something in return that I feel comfortable with then it should work out alright.
I didnt know if there was a golden rule or code of ethics on this particular situation that many of you go by.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started a similar thread a little while back that went several pages. It might give you a sampling of member's opinions on the matter. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/449862-would-you-detect-place-where-you-had-give-everything-back-owner.html

What you do with your finds is entirely up to you and whatever you have worked out with your friend/property owner. If it was something valuable and I planned to sell the item, I would most likely split the proceeds with my friend. I've pondered the question before and attempted to make the analogy that a hunter wouldn't normally give half his deer to a farm owner, but deer meat is a consumable item and many people don't enjoy the flavor. Money is money on the other hand and everyone enjoys money.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im thinking about looking around on two different peoples property. Both of these people are really good friends. They have already said I can come and search their property but I want to know what to do if I find something pretty valuable. I want to do the right thing if I do find something valuable because I feel like it would bother me if I just dont say anything to them should I find something. Should I just keep my mouth shut and then get them a equal/fair amount of a gift card that I think would be fair ?
What are some of the arrangements that have been made when it comes to MDing on a friends property ?

My opinion is that they probably understand that if YOU are the one doing the metal detecting, then you'll keep what you find. This is a general expectation.

When I detect friend's property, I simply ask, "mind if I keep what I find?" It's such a simple phrase, and cuts all through the muck. They have, without fail, ALWAYS said, "Sure!"

The exception to the rule is if I'm metal detecting WITH someone (and they're using my equipment). I simply tell them, "Just so you're not wondering, there's no rental fee for my equipment, my standing rule is 'you keep what you find,' so you can keep what you find, and I'll keep what I find, deal?!" By framing it that we, it also reduces confusion and helps keep the friendships.

There have been TWO times, when asking permission for metal detecting, the owners specifically said, "I'd like to split any bullion you find." Meaning, of course, silver or gold coins. Happy to do it, never found any. :)

Skippy

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a video a while back, of a guy who was showing how to cold-knock doors. He was there specifically for the coins (old silver). What he explained, was that even with permission to detect, if he found anything of HISTORICAL value (lipstick case, old toys, etc.) he would return those to the owner of the property. Since those objects are very much part of the history of the family or property, he wanted to make sure they ended up with the right folks. I thought that was a pretty cool way to handle it, too.

He never STARTED with that offer, though... only asked if he could "Metal detect to find old coins and stuff." About half of the folks simply said, "Sure, go for it." or "Knock yourself out." without any reservations.

Your friends will be very interested in what you find, but I strongly doubt they'll expect you to split the findings. Best to make sure though, with that simple question, "Mind if I keep what I find?"

Skippy

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always offer a 50/50 split on anything of significant value and tell them I will just give them any personal items they may have lost. That gives them more incentive than just the promise of holes in their yard. After all, if it's on their property, THEY own it. Just cause I have a detector doesn't mean anything I detect becomes my property, anymore than if I owned a tow truck, I couldn't just back into someones drive and take off with their car. In my mind a split is fair.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great advice.
I will work it out as time goes and depending on what I find.
Now I feel like I have something to work with.

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well if for some reason you decide to split it make sure you give them half the foil and bottle caps too. Don't forget the rusty nails iron is selling for 1 cent a pound they add up. Lol

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jewelry and any personal effects they get (and the trash I dig). I keep the coins.

Makes it easy when you're just a coin shooter. ;-)

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry and any personal effects they get (and the trash I dig). I keep the coins.

Makes it easy when you're just a coin shooter. ;-)

The nice thing about coins is you could find a 1796 bust dime, and when the owner asks about your finds, you can say "Eh, just a few pennies and dimes..."

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The nice thing about coins is you could find a 1796 bust dime, and when the owner asks about your finds, you can say "Eh, just a few pennies and dimes..."

I would LOVE to use this line... but all I actually find is a few pennies and dimes... all circa "NOW."
"

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, my GOOD friends are like family. I'm not going to try to make money off of them. If they want what I find, it's theirs. If they want me to keep it or to do any kind of split, that's fine with me too. There are plenty of other places to hunt and things to find and keep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread