Why I love Treasurenet - Specifically the MDing forum...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I've been a part of a variety of forums over the years, and in a quick few months, I've found that Treasurenet is the exception to the rule.

This place just doesn't seem to have TROLLS.

Specifically folks who like to pick at other's for their communication. First and foremost for me, is that communication is about "Helping someone understand what you're trying to say." In communication, if you can get your point across, BINGO, you've communicated.

I've come to despise comment threads on News sites, because they're filled with ignorant individuals who believe that a person's intelligence, and or ability to contribute to a conversation is directly tied to:
1) Their typing skills
2) Their never messing up a "there/their" "its/it's" or "Farther/Further"

These grammar/grammer police drive me batty. Some of them even go so far as to pretend grammar rules that are "pseudo" rules, such as ending a sentences with a preposition, are simply unacceptable to the so-called "enlightened." When I see trolls of this type show up in forums, without getting batted down by moderators, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to Winston Churchhill saying (quite likely not really from him), "IT IS UP WITH THAT, WITH WHICH I WILL NOT PUT!"

:)

Frankly, I've found that Treasurenet is filled with folks who are interested in COMMUNICATING about their finds, their hobby, their passions, and their lives. I love the fact that this place is a non-threatening spot. You don't have to spell well, have a master's degree, or even have English as your first language to show up and be a part of this community. Who cares if we misspell something. If someone can get their point across with a misspelled word, we can still revel in their finds with them. I LOVE THAT about this place.

This is a REMARKABLE thing that's going on here, and I wanted to just offer a big
THANK YOU

(see that? I actually made it big. LOL)

Thanks everyone for making this forum pretty durn awesome. It's more gooder than other forums, fer sur.

-Skippy

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dident lik inglis in skoll but i likd dign ole coinz--hapy hunin

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dident lik inglis in skoll but i likd dign ole coinz--hapy hunin

Well that wins my internet for the day. I can log off and be happy for the rest of the day. :occasion14:

I've always ignored grammar police since 99% of the time you can simply take a gander at their post history to see mistakes as well. Anybody who challenges my grammar would be better off not having a single mistake...ever. It would then be my duty to check all 5000 posts looking for that one error. I'm stupid like that.

While I think it is atrocious the way some people intentionally butcher a language to look cool, simple mistakes should be forgiven.

Turning in a college thesis with errors would be pretty unacceptable....forum errors on the internet that spans the globe....definitely forgivable.

Mods here are pretty great. From what I see they are kick back and let things slide as long as it does not get personal and political. They know when to lock it down and when to let it go with a warning. Grammar police = bullies and the mods here won't tolerate that. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that wins my internet for the day. I can log off and be happy for the rest of the day. :occasion14:

I've always ignored grammar police since 99% of the time you can simply take a gander at their post history to see mistakes as well. Anybody who challenges my grammar would be better off not having a single mistake...ever. It would then be my duty to check all 5000 posts looking for that one error. I'm stupid like that.

While I think it is atrocious the way some people intentionally butcher a language to look cool, simple mistakes should be forgiven.

Turning in a college thesis with errors would be pretty unacceptable....forum errors on the internet that spans the globe....definitely forgivable.

Mods here are pretty great. From what I see they are kick back and let things slide as long as it does not get personal and political. They know when to lock it down and when to let it go with a warning. Grammar police = bullies and the mods here won't tolerate that. :thumbsup:

Well then, it's KUDOS to the mods!

I'm there's a host of reasons why TN is just a better place (mods being one of them), maybe the other is that Metal Detectorists are just WAYYY more relaxed... :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't get no reason to argue with you...😁

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, this site is a great way to share our hobbies, metal detecting, coin roll hunting, sluicing, whatever way treasure presents itself....I gotta be honest with you though... mispeld words drive me crazy.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, this site is a great way to share our hobbies, metal detecting, coin roll hunting, sluicing, whatever way treasure presents itself....I gotta be honest with you though... mispeld words drive me crazy.

OH MY GOSH. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST MISPELLED MISPELLED. You r so lame. Your probably gonna die someday. (go ahead, say it isn't true!)

.....Dear Mods, the above line is a joke!....

I knew those comments would show up, but it's still funny to read! Nice one. :) I won't declare that grammar and mis-spells don't catch my attention, as well, but like you, it's not enough to TROLL over. :)

Skippy

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit some of the Reason I don't like the Grammar police is because
I never went to Grammar school :tongue3:
I also type with one finger and depending on speed , I make mistakes there also.
some I catch if Spell correct is working, Some I don't.

I also know if I had to type in German or Dutch I would be typing phonetically.
so it is obvious someone who only knows some English would make errors also.

Fact is Spelling & Grammar are only important when you wish to impress.
I think we should all be comfortable enough with each other
that such things ain't necessary 8-)

Most of the Grammar police I see usually bring up spelling & grammar
when they are loosing a battle of wits anyway :laughing7:

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.
X2 with the "Thank You"
I feel the same way you do Skippy HS13.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always figured that forum posts are a cross tween texting and typing...tyxting.So far I can find no written rules on tyxting.Prolly isnt any.....oh well

I dig this place too.Dont like trolls and dont see them for long round here.Oughta be an island they get dumped on with no net connection.They would all have connectlye dysfunction and would be perfect carma..:occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We just have a higher level of trolls here who insult the original poster very discretely. ;-)

"I will say, that a man must be a dam'd fool, who can’t spell a word more than one way" -- Mark Twain

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This forum is great because we have moderators that don't tolerate abuse towards other members. Those who don't follow the rules get warned and then put on "vacation" if they persist. On top of that, most people who troll are often immature and bored, which isn't a good combo for a detectorist. Go to any video game forum and you will see a cess pool of disrespect.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This forum is great because we have moderators that don't tolerate abuse towards other members. Those who don't follow the rules get warned and then put on "vacation" if they persist. On top of that, most people who troll are often immature and bored, which isn't a good combo for a detectorist. Go to any video game forum and you will see a cess pool of disrespect.

AHhh... you might actually be onto something there. I think the maturity level has probably something to do with it. Most of us have been around long enough that life's little things don't get in the way. Something about life experience that does that.

One of my favorite quotes/sayings goes something like this:

Youth constantly talk trying to convince everyone how smart they are, as they age, they learn start to keep their mouths shut more to avoid displaying how little they actually know.

:)

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Punctuation spelling who gives a dam unless the treasure map is spelled wrong. Now we gots a problems

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread