Like your Lesche? You might LOVE the Ironclad Viking!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to make a video of my Ironclad Viking digger. IMO, it blows the Lesche away.

This video was actually a test of my new GoPro setup for filming some hunts this year. I noticed that my hat is visible in the shot, as well as the dead cat covering my external mic in the corner. It was very windy, but the mic/dead cat combo make the GoPro audio sound pretty great.

Don't forget to jack the resolution to 1080p 60 fps for best quality!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that they are both diggers....but comparing a cast aluminum Fiskars digger to this is pretty laughable. You would need that "lifetime" warranty as you would be sending it back every week with any real usage. My wife bends those Fiskars in our front yard every year come spring. They are $8 for a reason.

Received a Kellyco Gator with my Pro-Pointer and so far so good. Been some holes I had to really place my body weight onto and it has held up easily.

That Viking is badass IMO. $76 is a bit steep...bit you get what you pay for. That looks like quality craftsmanship to me. :occasion14: I'd be all over it for $50

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received a Kellyco Gator with my Pro-Pointer and so far so good. Been some holes I had to really place my body weight onto and it has held up easily.

That Viking is badass IMO. $76 is a bit steep...bit you get what you pay for. That looks like quality craftsmanship to me. :occasion14: I'd be all over it for $50

Did you get the Sawtooth or the Razor Edge? And yes, the Viking is pretty awesome so far. I sold 2 WWMFG Lesches and a Garrett finds pouch that all came free in detector bundles over a few years, so I basically didn't pay for it.

Yesterday I had it in a remote park, and a patrolling officer came by to chat. I thought he might have a problem with how the digger looked like a weapon, but all he said was that he bets no one will try to mess with me.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that they are both diggers....but comparing a cast aluminum Fiskars digger to this is pretty laughable. You would need that "lifetime" warranty as you would be sending it back every week with any real usage. My wife bends those Fiskars in our front yard every year come spring. They are $8 for a reason.

I've actually broke one and they replaced it.

I was simply using the Fiskars as an example. There are plenty of low and lower cost alternatives out there. Notice I didn't say this wasn't a nice tool or that it wouldn't work, just that I think that it's way overpriced for the intended market. Especially so when there are a multitude of options available. If I used a hand digger more often, I would probably pick one of these up.

Stainless steel, comes with sheath and only $21
growtech-hori-hori-139303-lrg.jpg

Carbon steel (looks thick), comes with sheath and only $18.99
711dyAB3ANL._SY355_.jpg

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get the Sawtooth or the Razor Edge? And yes, the Viking is pretty awesome so far. I sold 2 WWMFG Lesches and a Garrett finds pouch that all came free in detector bundles over a few years, so I basically didn't pay for it.

Yesterday I had it in a remote park, and a patrolling officer came by to chat. I thought he might have a problem with how the digger looked like a weapon, but all he said was that he bets no one will try to mess with me.

It's the sawtooth. I will be sharpening the pointed end a bit as it is blunter than I would like. The side teeth I will not alter as they seem to do ok as-is.

Those hori knives are nice...and much better comparisons than the Fiskars. Gotta have steel to set the detector off when you forget it's in your hand. Aluminum just does not cut it. :laughing7:

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks...Klingon. But cool, nonetheless. I actually used my "Old Faithful" the other day...a huge wood chisel I had beveled and sharpened on 3 edges. Never, EVER bust one of those.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that's pricey, but I spent about that for the Predator tools Raptor. I really like the Raptor, kinda like a mini shovel. I also have the standard lesche digger and a Titan shovel by Predator tools. They are all nice diggers but I used to use a simple stainless steel Wilcox digger and let me tell you that you can beat the hell out of them and they don't break or bend easily. They are simple strong and cheap in price.
wilcox digger.JPG
HH
John

L

l2hunt

i guess it comes down to what type of hunting you do. If you're working around lots of roots and tough vegitation , this would be the tool to get! For me ...well I work school grounds, ball fields etc so I'm good with a basic little ol' trowel. Like detectors, conditions are everything! HH

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought he was marketing it.

But I still think if you poke that between two roots or rocks it's going to lock like a fishhook.

I got the same idea Charles after seeing it posted here.
He posted it yesterday on another meal detecting forum with a video and almost the exact wording.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He posted it yesterday on another meal detecting forum with a video and almost the exact wording.

Well the internet is a pretty big place Gary. Believe it or not TN does not have a lock down on metal detecting and treasure hunting. Nowhere is he selling it in his video or text. He is simply professing his love for it.

Stop busting this guys balls about selling stuff as he clearly is following the rules placed on this forum. Let him enjoy his Viking for god sake.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually broke one and they replaced it.

I was simply using the Fiskars as an example. There are plenty of low and lower cost alternatives out there. Notice I didn't say this wasn't a nice tool or that it wouldn't work, just that I think that it's way overpriced for the intended market. Especially so when there are a multitude of options available. If I used a hand digger more often, I would probably pick one of these up.

Stainless steel, comes with sheath and only $21
View attachment 1140142

Carbon steel (looks thick), comes with sheath and only $18.99
View attachment 1140144

I bought three fiskars after finding them at a hardware store in ND. I was taking 2 friends and had only one digger. Long story short all 3 broke the first day. For me a digger is as important as any other piece of detecting equipment.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually, I posted it over a week ago on that forum, the same time as it was posted here. When I find a good product that is fairly unknown to others, I like to spread the word.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beginning to think I am a "pansy," as I have never bent a digging tool, broken a scoop handle, or worried if the teeth on my diggers were to aggressive. Do all you guys have hair growing on your fingers or have a heavy brow? I use a Marine bayonet as a probe to pop the shallow coins or rings/pulltabs out of the grass. If the target is deeper I use the appropriate digging tool for the location.:laughing7:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am beginning to think I am a "pansy," as I have never bent a digging tool, broken a scoop handle, or worried if the teeth on my diggers were to aggressive. Do all you guys have hair growing on your fingers or have a heavy brow? I use a Marine bayonet as a probe to pop the shallow coins or rings/pulltabs out of the grass. If the target is deeper I use the appropriate digging tool for the location.:laughing7:

So you have easier digging than the rocky places or concrete like dry ground some of us detect . So we must have hair growing on our fingers or a heavy brow? The way I see it different diggers for different places, just like different detectors for different applications.

tibortt

Greenie
Mar 11, 2015
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", X-Terra 705, 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, 18.75 Khz, Digger.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for the video Simon :thumbsup:. Looks like a great digger, just bought one.

tibortt

Greenie
Mar 11, 2015
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", X-Terra 705, 3 Khz, 7.5 Khz, 18.75 Khz, Digger.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well said, Phantasman!

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silver Simon, you still liking that Ironclad Viking? I've been thinking I might need one.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one of George Leches diggers when I bought something once as a gift. I liked it and bought one of his shovels last year. Never thought I would spend over a 100 for a shovel but it is the best relic hunting tool I have ever bought.The digger has done its job for over 10 years? If it has not broke now it never will.
Time tested.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to make a video of my Ironclad Viking digger. IMO, it blows the Lesche away.

That looks nice! I wasn't overly impressed with the Lesche either ... could just be the type of soil I live over.

I even tried filing a nice edge on it. That thing looks great though, except maybe too much like a knife for where I hunt.

I like the Miracle grow digging tool (their version of a Hori Hori) ... it's sharp as heck and it still looks like a gardening tool, the rounded tip actually works well for scooping dirt.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont like for two reasons. One I would break this, just does not look as sturdy as the lesche. Second resaon is looks like I would cut myself every time I cleaned off the blade. I also didnt see a left or right hand version. I have big hands and the lip of the lesche lets me bear down better I would think. This would make a great digger for the wife or a lil kid maybe.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont like for two reasons. One I would break this, just does not look as sturdy as the lesche. Second resaon is looks like I would cut myself every time I cleaned off the blade. I also didnt see a left or right hand version. I have big hands and the lip of the lesche lets me bear down better I would think. This would make a great digger for the wife or a lil kid maybe.

Yeah I doubt it would work well in New Mexico hard rocky clay .. but I live in Florida where it's generally soft soil with a thick layer of grass and roots. This thing chops right through them no problem. Both sides are very sharp but the handle is nice. It will flex a little if I pry hard (I don't normally need to do that), but it springs back. It's definitely NOT as sturdy as a lesche and I never said it was, but I don't like having to drop my detector and use two hands plus my body weight to pry out a plug with a huge bent and dull knife when I could otherwise quickly cut a perfect one with one hand with little effort. Use the right tool for the job, not the best tool for another job. I keep them all for the right occasion. Well worth the $15

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions