Like your Lesche? You might LOVE the Ironclad Viking!

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to make a video of my Ironclad Viking digger. IMO, it blows the Lesche away.

This video was actually a test of my new GoPro setup for filming some hunts this year. I noticed that my hat is visible in the shot, as well as the dead cat covering my external mic in the corner. It was very windy, but the mic/dead cat combo make the GoPro audio sound pretty great.

Don't forget to jack the resolution to 1080p 60 fps for best quality!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, its a nice, NICE digger!
I've been considering getting one,
and paring-down my usual assortment of
digging tools that I normally carry to any hunt.
Just wonder how much effort it would be to pierce dry clayey soils...?

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yes, nice piece of gear, but where do you get one? googled 'Viking digger' but only got excavators and backhoes

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry man, but $76 for what is essentially a small garden tool is absurdly high! Walmart sells garden tools made by Fiskars that look very similar for around $8 and they're guaranteed for life. I appreciate hand craftsmanship as much as the next guy. Some things are better left to a factory and mass production however.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got the teeth backwards. They'll stick in roots/rocks, and you can't use the weight of your upper torso to cut on the down push.

(And only charter members & vendors can sell on the forum).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry man, but $76 for what is essentially a small garden tool is absurdly high! Walmart sells garden tools made by Fiskars that look very similar for around $8 and they're guaranteed for life. I appreciate hand craftsmanship as much as the next guy. Some things are better left to a factory and mass production however.

As I said in the video, it's basically the same price as George Lesche's of Predator Tools, which is quite popular. I know there are less expensive options, but I'd rather have a tool that lasts years instead of one that rusts out and breaks often. I have a Fiskers trowel for my son to play with, and it is already bent.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got the teeth backwards. They'll stick in roots/rocks, and you can't use the weight of your upper torso to cut on the down push.

I've used it in an area with many thick roots, and it performs better than the standard Lesche digger. I think it has something to do with how the teeth are much sharper. And I am a little confused, who is trying to sell anything? The video is not an ad, just showing the new digging tool I bought. But thank you for reminding me it was time to renew my charter membership, as I have sold many things here in the past!

pipesmoke

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mike70. Look up "iron clad viking digging tool" on E Bay..Last I looked it said 4 left. Good luck

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I enjoyed digging MY holes that much! "OHhhhh-Yeeaaahhhh" :laughing7:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it funny when people will spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on detectors then go on the cheap for a digger. Digging is half the time in detecting. My Viking makes it so much easier, it's worth it even compared to the prices of my low cost detectors.

Good job Simon.

My homemade sheath by AWP for $12 004.JPG

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Actually, It cuts into the ground better the way the teeth are angled. The other way would rip and be harder to push down (rather than pull back after the cut has already been made).

No one is selling it here. Simon is telling where a product "can" be purchased, same as Northern Tool pinpointers, Fiskars at WalMart, etc. Don't know if that's crossing the line or not.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought he was marketing it.

But I still think if you poke that between two roots or rocks it's going to lock like a fishhook.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought he was marketing it.

But I still think if you poke that between two roots or rocks it's going to lock like a fishhook.

I had it out for about 4 hours today, in some pretty rocky soil. So far, so good, but I suppose anything can happen.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it funny when people will spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on detectors then go on the cheap for a digger. Digging is half the time in detecting. My Viking makes it so much easier, it's worth it even compared to the prices of my low cost detectors.

Good job Simon.

My homemade sheath by AWP for $12 View attachment 1139601

Meh, shovels are cheap and work very well for digging. Almost like they were designed for it. My small digging tool only comes out when I'm down in the hole and want to probe just a little deeper. If I was detecting on other properties or in parks, it might be something I'd be interested in. I'd have to think real hard and long about that price though.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh, shovels are cheap and work very well for digging. Almost like they were designed for it. My small digging tool only comes out when I'm down in the hole and want to probe just a little deeper. If I was detecting on other properties or in parks, it might be something I'd be interested in. I'd have to think real hard and long about that price though.

I use my Raven when I'm not on public land or someone's home property.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I get your point. (no pun intended, lol)

I'll keep an eye out for that, but so far I haven't run into a situation where the teeth seemed to want to lock onto a rock or root.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Pipesmoke, finally got it all sorted out, have ordered it and it's on it's way. Wonder if I will have the only one is Oz ?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I have one of these and have been using it for a while now and have used it around tree roots, heavy grass roots, rocky soil etc and have never had it "lock up like a fish hook" either. On the contrary, it cuts through roots easily, and I have used it to saw roots out of the way enough to retrieve the target, without having to dig around it or enlarge a plug or hole so evidently the direction of the teeth on the Viking are angled correctly, and apparently was well researched before marketing it. With this Viking tool, a badger paw with extention for relic digging at old home sites and pastures, and a regular lesche tool for clean plug cutting, I have most digging needs covered. Im just a consumer, not a vendor nor do I have any connection to the company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions