Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DISCLAIMER: It's not really broken. Rant ahead, proceed with caution...

It used to find silver, but it's apparently forgotten how this year.... been out at least 2-3x week since January 1st with the exception of maybe a week or two when it was really cold or the snow was deep and have yet to hit a single silver. Old parks, old schools, old homesteads, places I've pulled silver before....nada. I've hit good on big copper so far this year, but this silver drought is kicking my butt! I don't know how you guys with dozens of silvers for the year are doing it... research and looking at the top-tier sites (parks, schools, old homes, etc) aren't doing jack for me this year.

<END RANT>

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to get deeper into the settings. There is a hidden option called "Silver Radar" that emits a wide pulse and can find silver within 16 square feet. :laughing7:

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems as if that might be the best option at this point...lol

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Coil to the soil (literally/Physically)
2. slow down & shorten those swings.
3. also listen close for those Almost repeatable high tone blips.
I find some of those can be silver dimes just on the fringe with my SE's maximum range
4. don't be afraid to investigate all tones from all angles.
5. when done listening.... dig !

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been in TTF most of the time recently, I hardly use MTC anymore, but even digging every repeatable high signal on TTF it's coming up empty. The area I live in is fairly sparsely populated once you get out of town, so I think I need to find better places to go. I need a good resource for finding parks actually.... searching online doesn't show much except state parks, so all the little town parks, community parks, and picnic areas are completely ignored.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been in TTF most of the time recently, I hardly use MTC anymore, but even digging every repeatable high signal on TTF it's coming up empty. The area I live in is fairly sparsely populated once you get out of town, so I think I need to find better places to go. I need a good resource for finding parks actually.... searching online doesn't show much except state parks, so all the little town parks, community parks, and picnic areas are completely ignored.

Yeah, this is like fishing... Sometimes, when you're not catching anything, it's not the equipment... it's the lack of fish in the area!

Skippy

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this is like fishing... Sometimes, when you're not catching anything, it's not the equipment... it's the lack of fish in the area!

Skippy

Also, like fishing, if you take down a case of beer while metal detecting, finding good targets can be slightly difficult.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, like fishing, if you take down a case of beer while metal detecting, finding good targets can be slightly difficult.

Off topic. 2 years ago while out hunting, while driving down a dirt road in the Mountains of Idaho, we came across a case of Steel Reserve (20 oz cans). Neither my dad, nor I, drink, so we just tossed it into the bed of the truck. When we filled up with gas, we offered to trade the 20 cans for a couple of sodas and some snacks. They guys behind the counter were THRILLED. The next couple days, each time we came to fill up, we noted they were selling the beers for $4 a can. We just had to laugh. For us, it was worth the sodas and the stories.

Now, whenever we go hunting, the joke is, "if we don't see any deer, at least we can hope to find some beer."

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread