Extra: El Padron gives a very rare metal detector review.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

Beach and Goldfield detector:
There is absolutely no other choice for beach detecting at a good location other then a Garret ATX.

This thing is so good at what it does, that sometimes I absolutely dread using it... Do you understand the statement I just wrote? Its a lot of work to dig every single gram of s*** that this thing with surely detect.
Almost the entire world is absolutely filled with tiny little specs of worthless crap, so be very carefull what you wish for.
The actual platform is used by the US government but not before being rejected, redesigned and resubmitted about two dozen times. Its is basically the only mainstream upper midrange metal detector designed respectfully for its end users in mind.

This thing is waterproof, No gasket issues, etc. If you did have gasket issues, it would still be waterproof.
The only problem is it will find everything. Its endless, you will be digging pennies from 30 inches all day and all night. It has a basic discrimination feature for iron, but that doesn't really provide much relief.
For what it does you can't improve on it.
This is basically the machine you want to know and use well next time ideal conditions present themselves. (Every ten years)

#2 for the money is still the Minelab SGT lightly used all day for $650 on EBAY. The control unit is not submersible.
Beach detecting trash discrimination absolutely equal or better then the CTX.
How? I don't know. It's just more sensitive if you know how to use it. Also it gets your face out of the LCD screen and makes you start concentrating on the signals.

If you like working on stuff, experimenting with electronic components, putting together puzzles, arts and crafts, Lego, working with glue and exotic resins, get an excaliber II, or an AT Pro.
I've never used either of them but entire industries exist for their sole purpose of repair and modification.
Consider this aforementioned statement my version of charity work and or community service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
My sincere condolences to the family of Dr Charles Garret.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much all new product from Fisher line the new F44 will be "water resistant". This is good for brief immersion to a depth of 24" max. Plenty good enough for beach use. Of course they are still single freq VLF detectors.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty much all new product from Fisher line the new F44 will be "water resistant". This is good for brief immersion to a depth of 24" max. Plenty good enough for beach use. Of course they are still single freq VLF detectors.

Many of the people that I have spoken to in my circle have noticed that there has been more improvements in quality, workmanship and effectiveness released in the last few months than the past 20 years combined.

A huge overstock in the secondary market for used machines has caused a crippling slow down in sales of the most popular purposely under built and less thought out platforms.

People are not rushing to spend thousands of dollars on mindlessly designed under innovated trash based on decades old hardware / technology in the vast numbers that they used to.

It only takes a very small handful of threads on sites such as this one to highlight that the emperor is truly wearing no clothes.

The cable outlet causing a weak spot on the control box and then winding its way down a static pole to the coil will soon be a thing of the past.
Sensible construction and modern technology is slowly making its way into metal detecting hardware and peripheral equipment.
Regardless, Uber succesfull platforms like the ATX and deus have changed the game forever.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, there is no slow down....

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd feel just as confident with a Tesoro Tiger Shark or Sand Shark for a quarter of the price. $2300 is not in my budget, especially when I try to find enough to justify the cost.

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
And for good reason, my absolute all time best find was "eyeballed".

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Beach and Goldfield detector:
There is absolutely no other choice for beach detecting at a good location other then a Garret ATX.

This thing is so good at what it does, that sometimes I absolutely dread using it... Do you understand the statement I just wrote? Its a lot of work to dig every single gram of s*** that this thing with surely detect.
Almost the entire world is absolutely filled with tiny little specs of worthless crap, so be very carefull what you wish for.
The actual platform is used by the US government but not before being rejected, redesigned and resubmitted about two dozen times. Its is basically the only mainstream upper midrange metal detector designed respectfully for its end users in mind.

This thing is waterproof, No gasket issues, etc. If you did have gasket issues, it would still be waterproof.
The only problem is it will find everything. Its endless, you will be digging pennies from 30 inches all day and all night. It has a basic discrimination feature for iron, but that doesn't really provide much relief.
For what it does you can't improve on it.
This is basically the machine you want to know and use well next time ideal conditions present themselves. (Every ten years)

#2 for the money is still the Minelab SGT lightly used all day for $650 on EBAY. The control unit is not submersible.
Beach detecting trash discrimination absolutely equal or better then the CTX.
How? I don't know. It's just more sensitive if you know how to use it. Also it gets your face out of the LCD screen and makes you start concentrating on the signals.

If you like working on stuff, experimenting with electronic components, putting together puzzles, arts and crafts, Lego, working with glue and exotic resins, get an excaliber II, or an AT Pro.
I've never used either of them but entire industries exist for their sole purpose of repair and modification.
Consider this aforementioned statement my version of charity work and or community service.

I thought this thread got locked up during the first Obama administration.

I think times have considerably changed for the better. Manufacturers have started incorporating some innovation and value into the newer equiptment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions