First time metal detecting and I would love some advice.

gemstonefinder

Mar 28, 2015
bc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I purchased a bounty hunter tracker 4 and I am hoping to take it hunting for the first time on Friday or Saturday. I have been doing some research and I found a place that I think might be a good spot. It was a prison farm where prisoners were put to work. It was opened in the early 1900's and was demolished in the 80s and covered with condominiums. The buildings are covered but the fields that were tilled by the prisoners are still there and open to public. Would this be a good spot? Personally I like coins but I am wondering if I can find some old prison shackles or handcuffs or something.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
First the less than positive side... the prisoners did not have any coins. In the joint, the barter system is the primary means of transaction. The prison store is credit based, not currency based. The shackles were most likely iron, which is usually discriminated out.

The more positive side... anywhere that people have been, they have dropped stuff on the ground. I hunt everywhere that I can, you just never can tell what might turn up. Go out and give it a try and see what you get. The most important part of the whole deal, is to enjoy yourself! GL&HH.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it a try, cant hurt !! You never know--good luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

gemstonefinder

Mar 28, 2015
bc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First the less than positive side... the prisoners did not have any coins. In the joint, the barter system is the primary means of transaction. The prison store is credit based, not currency based. The shackles were most likely iron, which is usually discriminated out.

The more positive side... anywhere that people have been, they have dropped stuff on the ground. I hunt everywhere that I can, you just never can tell what might turn up. Go out and give it a try and see what you get. The most important part of the whole deal, is to enjoy yourself! GL&HH.

This was something I was worried about. Either way I will give it a try and see what happens. :D

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if the prisoners might not have coins, the guards, admin personnel etc most certainly did. Go for it and welcome to the worlds most addicting hobby!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't give it a shot, you will never know. There may have been previous occupation of the piece of ground that may be even more promising and older....you never know until you hit it. Keep us posted as to your finds, whatever they may be...and never...ever ...give up.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like the farm field here that the prisoners worked for there food,man did I clean house...hope you do the same there dude.

Patients,Persistence,and...................NEVER give up,you don't know what the next target will be.

GOD Bless

Chris

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Luck! Even if you don't find any prison related stuff, you never know what that piece of ground was used for before it was a prison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread