Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A vacant lot as long as they aren't building on it would be something id hunt. I'd make contact with the owners, tell them you would like to detect on their "empty" lot and say this..i will remove any trash I find. Say we always try to leave a place better than we find it..those words ho a long way with people. But establish you want to detect their empty lot do not use the word hunt. Get permission and keep the place clean and who knows they may have other property.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
njrelictgairl , didn't you loose your wedding ring, or your dad loose his boyscout ring there long ago ? I'm sure they'd have no trouble with you going to look for it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom so your encouraging members to lie to hunt....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom so your encouraging members to lie to hunt....
Maybe some white lies. :laughing7: If I ask permission to hunt a property, I usually compliment them on what a great place they have......even if it's an ugly, termite ridden, junk pile. Salesmanship and being nice is not always about being COMPLETELY truthful, assuming you want to be successful.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some white lies. :laughing7: If I ask permission to hunt a property, I usually compliment them on what a great place they have......even if it's an ugly, termite ridden, junk pile. Salesmanship and being nice is not always about being COMPLETELY truthful, assuming you want to be successful.
Big difference between that and lying that you lost personal property there... What does that teach kids?

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously lying gets you no where but in trouble. Some people call it karma I call it God reaching down and smacking you for the wrong you did. You're right TH what does it teach others here and the kids.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no need to make anything up.And a little white lie is not going to get my panties in a wad.but.....no need.

be honest....offer to give the very person you are talking to 1st pick.offer to provide your back up machine so he/she can join the adventure,show enthusiasim...be a little dorky

this has worked countless times for me...usually they wont join you...dont want 1st pick

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no need to make anything up.And a little white lie is not going to get my panties in a wad.but.....no need.

be honest....offer to give the very person you are talking to 1st pick.offer to provide your back up machine so he/she can join the adventure,show enthusiasim...be a little dorky

this has worked countless times for me...usually they wont join you...dont want 1st pick

Just how hard do you have to try to convey the dorkiness??:laughing7: I'm kidding bigfoot, I know exactly what you mean:occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Technically, yes: the "ruse" of saying you're looking for a ring, is a lie. Can call it a "little white lie", or "ruse" or whatever, but technically, you are right Treasure-hunter. I guess I get so durned sick of some of the senseless "no's" passed out to us, that my conscience becomes calloused after awhile, to this one thing.

Question: if someone chucks a silver ring off a ski lift (so that he can come back and "look for it" after the spring thaw), or if you chuck a silver ring 40 or 50 yards from the street, into a vacant lot, then in that case, it would not technically be lying, eh ?

OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello
Thanks for your reply's.
The company office is localed 2 hours away from where i live.
Im not going to travel that fare for permission. ill just make a
phone call to the office,and see what they say. dont worry im not going to lie. Thanks Happy easter

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big difference between that and lying that you lost personal property there... What does that teach kids?

Amen. Hard to have integrity, when you're not having integrity. Best to simply tell the truth. Selling something is not the same thing as LYING.

Good grief.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you. :) Happy Easter!

Hello
Thanks for your reply's.
The company office is localed 2 hours away from where i live.
Im not going to travel that fare for permission. ill just make a
phone call to the office,and see what they say. dont worry im not going to lie. Thanks Happy easter

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always better to ask first. It'll keep your karma nice and round instead of crooked and jaggedy. :thumbsup:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on the permission! If they say no, oh well :dontknow:. Just wait until they sell it to the next guy and then ask them.

My personal rule when asking permission about properties: I always come up with several to ask about on the same day. That way when 1 or 2 shoots me down, usually at least 1 other works out. Worse case I get shot down by everybody, then either I go to one of my good ol' public parks or just say "screw it" and have some beers with my friends.

OP
OP
njrelicgairl

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello
Well, I have desided not to call and ask for Permission for this land,Why?
well,I was told the other day, by a friend of my father, that that property is
Dangeries,and has a lot of holes,and rats running around. There was a home that
stud there in the early 1800s,. He told me that he is only looking out for my safety.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Huh ? places where "homes stood there till the early 1800s", that are "dangerous" with "holes and rats" are the BEST places to metal detect. And .... safety is so over-rated anyhow. Doh !

garyo1954

Jan 4, 2013
Elkhart, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for being honest!

When people become deceptive to metal detect, I don't understand how they can complain when others become deceptive to keep them off the property.

I understand about the dangers. I once mowed a single mom's yard on my dime. Grass was a foot high or more. Ran over tree limbs, cans and bottles and pipes sticking out of the ground you'd never know was there. Ruined the blades.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions