RIP Charles Garrett Of Garrett Detectors

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
b32753d1cb5d3315576b5f9bcc904e5d.jpg

It is with great sadness that we share the news that Dr. Charles L. Garrett died on April 3, 2015. An inventor, entrepreneur, treasure hunter, patriot, author, husband, and father, Dr. Garrett and his wife Eleanor founded Garrett Metal Detectors in 1964. Through the couple’s vision and direction during the next 50 years, their original garage business grew to become the world’s largest manufacturer of metal detection equipment.

A U.S. Navy veteran and graduate of Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, Dr. Garrett left an indelible mark on the metal detection industry. His early inventions pioneered the modern metal detector and his security detectors were the first to protect the Olympic Games in 1984. The ease of use of his hobby products helped invite many thousands of newcomers to try out the sport of treasure hunting.

We are grateful for the contributions Dr. Garrett made to our industry, and for the fine example he always put forth for others. The Garrett name will always be synonymous with high-quality metal detectors, including those used in security applications, law enforcement, military, sports, and outdoor recreational use. Although he will be dearly missed by many, his legacy will endure.

Here is the Obituary....

Charles L. Garrett —inventor, entrepreneur, treasure hunter, patriot, husband, and father—died on April 3, 2015. A native Texan and resident of Garland, Dr. Garrett and his wife Eleanor in 1964 founded Garrett Electronics which grew to become the world’s largest manufacturer of metal detection equipment.

Garrett detectors have discovered some of the world’s most valuable buried treasures, and its security equipment has protected millions of travelers and others, including Olympic athletes and spectators at the Games since 1984. Dr. Garrett was born in Houston on April 1, 1932, and grew up in Lufkin. After four years of service in the U.S. Navy during the Korean conflict on board the USS Bottineau (APA-235), he graduated from Lamar University in Beaumont with a degree in electrical engineering. A lifelong treasure-hunting hobbyist, Dr. Garrett first developed a metal detector for his own use and because it was so much superior to others, he and his wife founded a company to sell it.

He pioneered the development of the modern metal detector, demonstrated its capabilities searching for treasure throughout the world and devoted himself to teaching others to use detectors. He discovered treasure with metal detectors of his own design on every continent except Antarctica, and he also scanned under lakes, seas and oceans of the world. Many of the treasures and relics he discovered are displayed in the Garrett Museum at the company’s factory in Garland. In 1984 the company also began to manufacture walk-through and hand-held security detectors, including the famed Super Scanner®, the world’s most popular hand-held detector, and revolutionary new walk-through units. As a patriotic American, Dr. Garrett generously donated his company’s equipment for numerous projects where metal detection equipment was required, including many of the Olympic Games.

He authored some 20 books and wrote literally scores of articles about metal detectors, treasure hunting on both land and under water and security. Many of his books remain in print. Today, the name Garrett stands as a worldwide synonym for treasure hunting and security metal detectors. Charles himself has been called the Grand Master Hunter. Along the way, he also became recognized as an unofficial spokesman for the hobby of treasure hunting and the metal detecting industry through a long list of honors, personal appearances, books and articles. U.S. Representative Sam Johnson visited the Garrett factory in February 2010 to read and present to Dr. Garrett a copy of the Congressional Record in which he acknowledged the quality and determination of Garrett’s American-made products. Charles and Eleanor Garrett have been generous contributors to Lamar University and her alma mater, Sam Houston State University. Both have been granted honorary doctor’s degrees from these schools. Charles Garrett was presented with an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree during Lamar’s spring commencement ceremonies in May 2011. The Charles and Eleanor Garrett Engineering Center was dedicated at Lamar University in April 2012.

Dr. Garrett was an Eagle Scout and an inductee into Eta Kappa Nu, the national Electrical and Computer Engineering honor society. In 2004, Governor Rick Perry commissioned Charles Garrett as an honorary Admiral in the Texas Navy. He was also a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas and was a Distinguished Alumni of both Lufkin High School and Lamar University.

Survivors include his wife of almost 60 years, Eleanor; three children, Charles Lewis Garrett, Jr., Deirdre Lynne Garrett Hasselbach and her husband Timothy of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Vaughan Lamar Garrett, his wife, Angela, and their two children, David and Sydney. Dr. Garrett was a member of the Saturn Road Church of Christ. Dr. Garrett was preceded in death by his parents, Wayne L. and Stella Barber Garrett; and his brothers, George Wayne Garrett and Donald Bert Garrett.

Visitation will be at Sparkman Crane Funeral Home in Dallas, Texas, on Friday, April 10, from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. A memorial service will be held at Orchard Hills Baptist Church in Garland, Texas, at 2:00 pm on Saturday, April 11, 2015. Graveside services will be conducted at 3:00 pm on Sunday, April 12, at Calvary Cemetery in Trinity County, Texas, east of Crockett on FM 357. In lieu of flowers, anyone desiring to make a donation can do so in memory of Charles Garrett to: Lamar University Foundation, P.O. Box 11500, Beaumont, Texas, 77710.

http://www.garrett.com/charles_garrett_memoriam.aspx

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was an industry leader and an icon to all early treasure hunters. Millions of people use his products. He will be missed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R.I.P. Charles.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is with great sadness that we share the news that Dr. Charles L. Garrett died on April 3, 2015. An inventor, entrepreneur, treasure hunter, patriot, author, husband, and father, Dr. Garrett and his wife Eleanor founded Garrett Metal Detectors in 1964. Through the coupleÂ’s vision and direction during the next 50 years, their original garage business grew to become the worldÂ’s largest manufacturer of metal detection equipment.

A U.S. Navy veteran and graduate of Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, Dr. Garrett left an indelible mark on the metal detection industry. His early inventions pioneered the modern metal detector and his security detectors were the first to protect the Olympic Games in 1984. The ease of use of his hobby products helped invite many thousands of newcomers to try out the sport of treasure hunting.

We are grateful for the contributions Dr. Garrett made to our industry, and for the fine example he always put forth for others. The Garrett name will always be synonymous with high-quality metal detectors, including those used in security applications, law enforcement, military, sports, and outdoor recreational use. Although he will be dearly missed by many, his legacy will endure.

Here is the Obituary....

Charles L. Garrett —inventor, entrepreneur, treasure hunter, patriot, husband, and father—died on April 3, 2015. A native Texan and resident of Garland, Dr. Garrett and his wife Eleanor in 1964 founded Garrett Electronics which grew to become the world’s largest manufacturer of metal detection equipment.

Garrett detectors have discovered some of the worldÂ’s most valuable buried treasures, and its security equipment has protected millions of travelers and others, including Olympic athletes and spectators at the Games since 1984. Dr. Garrett was born in Houston on April 1, 1932, and grew up in Lufkin. After four years of service in the U.S. Navy during the Korean conflict on board the USS Bottineau (APA-235), he graduated from Lamar University in Beaumont with a degree in electrical engineering. A lifelong treasure-hunting hobbyist, Dr. Garrett first developed a metal detector for his own use and because it was so much superior to others, he and his wife founded a company to sell it.

He pioneered the development of the modern metal detector, demonstrated its capabilities searching for treasure throughout the world and devoted himself to teaching others to use detectors. He discovered treasure with metal detectors of his own design on every continent except Antarctica, and he also scanned under lakes, seas and oceans of the world. Many of the treasures and relics he discovered are displayed in the Garrett Museum at the company’s factory in Garland. In 1984 the company also began to manufacture walk-through and hand-held security detectors, including the famed Super Scanner®, the world’s most popular hand-held detector, and revolutionary new walk-through units. As a patriotic American, Dr. Garrett generously donated his company’s equipment for numerous projects where metal detection equipment was required, including many of the Olympic Games.

He authored some 20 books and wrote literally scores of articles about metal detectors, treasure hunting on both land and under water and security. Many of his books remain in print. Today, the name Garrett stands as a worldwide synonym for treasure hunting and security metal detectors. Charles himself has been called the Grand Master Hunter. Along the way, he also became recognized as an unofficial spokesman for the hobby of treasure hunting and the metal detecting industry through a long list of honors, personal appearances, books and articles. U.S. Representative Sam Johnson visited the Garrett factory in February 2010 to read and present to Dr. Garrett a copy of the Congressional Record in which he acknowledged the quality and determination of GarrettÂ’s American-made products. Charles and Eleanor Garrett have been generous contributors to Lamar University and her alma mater, Sam Houston State University. Both have been granted honorary doctorÂ’s degrees from these schools. Charles Garrett was presented with an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree during LamarÂ’s spring commencement ceremonies in May 2011. The Charles and Eleanor Garrett Engineering Center was dedicated at Lamar University in April 2012.

Dr. Garrett was an Eagle Scout and an inductee into Eta Kappa Nu, the national Electrical and Computer Engineering honor society. In 2004, Governor Rick Perry commissioned Charles Garrett as an honorary Admiral in the Texas Navy. He was also a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas and was a Distinguished Alumni of both Lufkin High School and Lamar University.

Survivors include his wife of almost 60 years, Eleanor; three children, Charles Lewis Garrett, Jr., Deirdre Lynne Garrett Hasselbach and her husband Timothy of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Vaughan Lamar Garrett, his wife, Angela, and their two children, David and Sydney. Dr. Garrett was a member of the Saturn Road Church of Christ. Dr. Garrett was preceded in death by his parents, Wayne L. and Stella Barber Garrett; and his brothers, George Wayne Garrett and Donald Bert Garrett.

Visitation will be at Sparkman Crane Funeral Home in Dallas, Texas, on Friday, April 10, from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. A memorial service will be held at Orchard Hills Baptist Church in Garland, Texas, at 2:00 pm on Saturday, April 11, 2015. Graveside services will be conducted at 3:00 pm on Sunday, April 12, at Calvary Cemetery in Trinity County, Texas, east of Crockett on FM 357. In lieu of flowers, anyone desiring to make a donation can do so in memory of Charles Garrett to: Lamar University Foundation, P.O. Box 11500, Beaumont, Texas, 77710.

http://www.garrett.com/charles_garrett_memoriam.aspx

Rip.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... 2 days after his 83rd birthday.
Actually one day after...
R.I.P.
I have owned many of his inventions.
One of the best detector company's... and one of the best detectors you can buy.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that fellow made it easy for me to enter the metal detecting hobby many years ago.I read his books,I used(still do)his equipment and I have been successful.I thank him deeply,shall pray for comfort for his family.I could only wish that I may affect as many folks in a positive way as he has done.I know I wont but I still shall strive.Godspeed mr. garrett

you will be sorely missed

killroy

Feb 5, 2015
douglass,ks
Detector(s) used
AT Gold AT Pro ACE 150 Fisher F11 AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may you still find treasures in the afterlife peace

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hats off to you Mr. Garret. RIP. :award_star_gold_1:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir for advancing our hobby and inspiring our passions with good tools. :hello:

captain_mike

Aug 20, 2012
Dogtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX, Whites Goldmaster GMX, Whites TDI SL, Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab GP3500, Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great man doing what he loved, and giving us an honest product, made by Americans. He is an example that more companies should follow. Clearly a man of solid character. RIP Charles Garrett.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes to the family. A great man, a great product. Would never trade my AT Pro or my GTAx1000 for any price. Looking forward to the funeral service as I just live a few miles down the road from Garland Texas.

Customer service was instilled from the beginning and started at the top and goes down all the way to the clerk at the front desk.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for all you've done for us Dr. Garrett!
Praying for the Garrett family!

Last edited:

TheOldMan

Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
What a life Charles lived. Great man. I had the honor of meeting him in Lincoln Nebraska many a year ago. I always looked forward to the visits that I made to the Garrett factory and museum. He will be missed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread