GARRETT ACE 250 AND ITS LIMITATIONS

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Ace 250 users- Im relatively new to MDing and bought my Ace 250 about 3 months ago. I was concerned about finding only clad even at homes built prior to 1940. I found a vid on Youtube where a guy built a coffin sized box, filled it w/ dirt and did a Ace 250 depth test- first at 4", then 5" then 6". The first 2 depths received a response. After 6 inches there was virtually no signal. I know they're supposed to go 8+ inches, but now Im wondering if that's why Im getting only clad. Has this been your experience? Thanks...

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the Ace for 2 seasons about 5 or 6 years ago and about 6" was the best I could do on coin size object...larger objects I'd pick them up deeper than that.

Regards + HH

Bill

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't used the Ace, but as an entry level machine with factory preset ground balance, bill from lachine pretty well describes the likely expectations. Mineralization, moisture content etc. all have an effect on depth so a coin signal at 8" in air may only be 6" or even less in some areas.
luvsdux

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I got my ACE 250 for the first time, I thought after a few times I would get something older too. Sometimes if a target (let's say a mercury dime for an example), is buried about three inches down but was totally flat, you get a signal, but that same target is about 5-6 in. down and is at an angle (like on its side), it may or may not pick up. Try increasing the sensitivity on the detector. This may help a little bit with deeper targets, but with mineralization (as Luvsdux stated) may effect the signal as well. I hope this helps and you find some good stuff with your ACE 250!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
new coins buried deeply won't produce nearly the signal as a coin that has been buried for years. The coins actually create a "halo" in the ground due to the metals reacting with the surrounding soil, making them MUCH easier to detect. Don't gauge your detectors performance on a new bed or air test. My son has regularly dug 10" or greater coins out of the ground that have been there 20 years plus... with his ACE 250. He hates digging that deep, but the signal is the signal!

Wet ground also affects conductivity (wet is best, soupy is not best). You'll get better signals out of most ground (the halo effect is amplified!)

If you're simply comparing products, air tests, and new dirt tests are fine. If you're trying to get real world, tried and true, results, then you'll need to actually find a long-buried coin. :)

Cheers,

Skippy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the ace 250 has limits * both in depth about 8 inches was my max on "clad dimes / quarters and copper type cents" --but the real "limited" issue is with finding gold * --since the ace 250 "co-mingles" 3 items in 1 block --pulltabs --along with nickels and gold items --thus YOU must dig all pulltab "hits"or risk passing up nickles or even worse "gold items"...

having owned a ACE 250 ($212) and a DELTA 4000 ($279)-- I tell folks save up the extra $67 bucks and get the 4000 --- 0 to 99 numbers display vs 12 "blocks"--- basically 8 times more "slots' for the machine to sort finds into --thus a much better chance of sorting out trash vs treasure BEFORE DIGGING .. thus less wasted time digging junk ..and a better chance of digging good stuff

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread