Fines...Tickets?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... What we are saying is that the risk is so small as to be insignificant in a park with no specific rules against metal detecting. In areas where there are posted rules (be it at the site or the county court house) and you choose to ignore them, then yeah, you're possibly going to have a problem. Even then, I seriously doubt that a tourist detecting a restricted park is going to get arrested because they didn't first file for a license or because they didn't realize it was forbidden in that particular area. If you have documented cases of that, please share them with us. I'm sure there is a fluke case there somewhere to keep the "fear of definite arrest" myth going.

uh oh. Be careful there Mark. Or you will be asked to "pay the tickets" of those who "dare step into a sand-box" w/o asking. Tsk tsk. :dontknow:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... if someone calls the police while you are detecting at a public park... why not simply explain to the officer that wifey lost her wedding ring in the park and feels terrible, and you are trying to find it? Surely the officer could pass this on to the caller... who may then be sympathetic. Problem solved. After all it might take YEARS to find that ring and a good man would never give up!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... if someone calls the police while you are detecting at a public park... why not simply explain to the officer that wifey lost her wedding ring in the park and feels terrible, and you are trying to find it? Surely the officer could pass this on to the caller... who may then be sympathetic. Problem solved. After all it might take YEARS to find that ring and a good man would never give up!

I think the last time this came up on T'net, it came under some criticism. Ie.: the old "looking for your dad's lost boyscout ring", and running a "lost" ad on C.L. , printing it out, and going to "look for it", etc... Seen as shady, encouraging "lying", etc...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the last time this came up on T'net, it came under some criticism. Ie.: the old "looking for your dad's lost boyscout ring", and running a "lost" ad on C.L. , printing it out, and going to "look for it", etc... Seen as shady, encouraging "lying", etc...

Right.. ok.. I only meant in regards to someone who is a constant problem, calling police when you are doing something completely legal in a public park, etc. (not a way to get onto private land). But, that is a good point so no need to discuss it any further.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread