Im an idiot. This is what metal detecting gets you...

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an idiot. This is what metal detecting gets you...

So... most of you know as a result of my metal detecting, I've gotten into collecting US coins (who among us doesn't in some way, now, right?)

Well... as part of this effort, I bought a few of the Whitman's blue books for nickels, and have been going to the bank to find some of the dates I'm missing.

I've now put together all the coins back to 1964, but for the life of me, COULD NOT FIND D-dated coins from 1963 prior. Oh, I'd find plenty of 40's, 50's 60's, but they were always just the main dated coins. Today, even I managed to find a SILVER War Nickel! Was a totally awesome find...

Beside the point though... the point is, I could NOT find Denver minted coins! (some of you know where this is going, and are already saying, "Yup, he's an idiot.")

Well, I get on Amazon.com to find a 1963D and 1962D coin so I could complete my collection in the first book. And low and behold... the pictures show a 1963 coin that isn't a D mint Mark. I'm thinking, "Wow! I'm glad I didn't buy that one!" Then I go find another... same thing... at which point, I'm wondering the probability of TWO posts being inaccurate...

So I type in Mint Mark Location of a 1963 D nickel... and discover prior to 1964, all nickels have mint marks to the right of Monticello. *HEAD SLAP* DOH!

I've gone through probably 100 rolls and have been putting back all those "duplicates." LOL!! I just laughed and laughed! Was the funniest thing that happened to me all week long! I then turned around all my dated coins in the first book (1938-1962) and a full 50% of them were stamped D. No surprises there. *Cracks Up*

Oh, the joys of LEARNING...

In the back of my head, though, this is how my Karma got used up for putting in those dirty coins into the vending machine to get clean gold dollars. Woot! Woot!

Skippy

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it happens --you live ,you learn...

ever detected while wearing steel toed boots?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Pick up a Red Book for about $10. If you are even remotely interested in coin collecting, this is a MUST have.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, keep in mind that the silver war nickels have the mint mark above the dome on the reverse.....even the "P"hilly mint.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its like how in 1999 I got a Delaware state quarter, and for the life of me I had no clue what it was. I have been collecting coins my whole life, and the whole State quarter program, with all of its hoopla, had escaped me. Of all people it was my Mom who told me about what I had.:BangHead:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to my world...sorry! Duh! moments happen a lot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread