StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some friends/neighbors want me to MD their yards (though I am a newbie and haven't even MD'ed my own yard yet). One person asked how long after digging and restoring a plug of lawn grass will the plug (typically) be reattached firmly to the ground? Once summer gets going here, people mow every week. Will the lawnmower detach the plugs I have dug and restored?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig deep plugs so you don't disrupt the roots. Water the yard well after youre done detecting and everything will be fine in a few days.

OP
OP
StBarbara

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool, Jason in Enid. Thanks for the tip!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't cut complete round plugs. Cut only 3 sides and leave the 4th side still attached. This type of "trapped door" plug won't die and will recover much faster than one you've completely cut and removed from the ground. A 3 sided plug is less likely to get pulled up by a lawn mower too. If the ground conditions are right, you don't have to cut a plug at all. Sometimes you can just cut a slit, spread it apart, recover the target, and then "stitch" it back closed again with your probe or screwdriver. Try these methods in your own yard before you subject any experimental torture to your friends/neighbors yards! :laughing7:

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The C shape plug keeps some of the roots attached. Also use a ground cloth so you can dump all the dirt back in hole. With some practice, they won't see you ever dug a hole.

wm.carlton

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2015
Currently Western MA. Also partime W Florida
Detector(s) used
Looking-am in the market for a very good, used detector.
Appreciate any tips or guidelines!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends A) where you are (region, state), B) what kind of grass, C) what time of year D) weather conditions (dry/wet) E) how big/deep the plugs are. F) how "heavy duty" the lawn mower is
In the south with big/deep plugs, during the rainy season they can re-stitch in a few days, however in the north, during dry fall conditions it could take six months.
There is no "silver bullet" answer. The above answers have all the info. If you want more detailed info about your specific situation please provide the following info:
A) general location, B) type of grass (if known) C) time of year D) size of plug.
Most turf-grasses are very resilient to this type of disturbance as long as it is a fairly large and deep plug, in fact it somewhat mimics herbivore activity.
The best guarantee is to deeply water plugs after re-positioning and water again every couple days for a few weeks. In most cases that would be overkill but better safe than sorry (especially in a friends yard) experiment on your own yard, in a corner to gain confidence.

OP
OP
StBarbara

StBarbara

Apr 7, 2015
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Garrett Pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all of the tips. I'll experiment on my yard first...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My experience is that a "plug" (that really is a CORK), they don't survive, and get sucked up by the lawnmower!
You see, (detached) plugs were separated from the lawn around it, and no live HINGE is left attached - a bummer!
You want to dig a plug that use a Trap-Door-Effect, where everything fits back into its little original spot, when done
Be sure to poke at the loose dirt you just returned to the hole, shut the trapdoor, and STOMP or POUND on the
spot, to remove all air-spaces. Fluff-up the grass. There you have it - a low impact, leave-no-trace, dig site!
The land owners will also like you picking up the trash you dig and find. Yep, plus always ask permission to dig....!
(did I answer your question? - probably not) :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is that a "plug" (that really is a CORK), they don't survive, and get sucked up by the lawnmower!

Then you are doing it wrong. I have never had a plug die and never had one pulled out by a mower. You need to dig MUCH deeper plugs and stop killing the roots.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've "dug" well over 1000 in 2 local parks, with something approaching 100% success. No, I didnt count and map each location...I cared enough and checked my results frequently enough to feel very confident making that statement.

My formula...bigger is better( not always comfortable with dozens of eyes watching you), leave the biggest hinge that you can, tamp back in place firmly.
Also, know when NOT to dig...too dry, grass looks overdue for mowing...DON'T DIG!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of folks recommend C or U shaped flaps. I like those as well, but I've found a simple V shape works EXCEPTIONALLY well for avoiding turf damage. It acts alot like a simple cut in the grass. Tamp down and fluff, as suggested.

Cheers!

Skippy

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of folks recommend C or U shaped flaps. I like those as well, but I've found a simple V shape works EXCEPTIONALLY well for avoiding turf damage. It acts alot like a simple cut in the grass. Tamp down and fluff, as suggested.

Cheers!

Skippy

Agreed...the V makes for a nice big hinge!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for skunks. I detected a lawn a while back, one of my honey holes. Went back the next day and all of my plugs were dug out. The fresh dirt got the attention of a skunk. I caught him that night and no more problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread