Best detector for finding deep silver coins?

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's V3i, stock coil and 18x15 SEF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am looking to buy a new detector but can't decide which is the best for finding deep silver. I have used an AT Pro and a v3i all have disappointed me in finding a silver quarter at 12-14" I hear that lower frequency detectors are better for finding deeper higher conductivity targets. What are others experiences in a good detector that can handle this? I am looking to keep it under $700

Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know in the right hands (that's not running preset programs) the V3i can get dimes at 12" and I've dug 12" dimes and quarters with my MXT, the pounded parks around here only have real deep dimes left and I still find silver in these parks where all the silver is at 10"+. Your not going to get these if you haven't had enough time with your detector though, you need the right coil for the deep stuff and I don't run my MXT at preset like the manual says. Just because the detector is capable of that depth doesn't mean everyone will be able to get the full potential out of it, that's why you need to get some time in with your detector and know what every adjustment does and how it affects other settings. HH

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IH's are silver?
What i mean is if you can find an IH at 14 half inches then silver would not be a problem at that depth, let me tell you this last year i nailed a barber so deep my elbow was level with the top of the hole think about that....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i mean is if you can find an IH at 14 half inches then silver would not be a problem at that depth, let me tell you this last year i nailed a barber so deep my elbow was level with the top of the hole think about that....

You're a midget? :laughing7:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love dreamers..... LOL :)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IH's are silver?

No but they do have a fairly high conductivity like silver. In other words, if you find deep copper, you should have no prob finding deep silver.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where I live, most lots and acreage has had some fill dirt put in at one time or another. So, it happens all the time where I can dig a zincoln at 8". Not uncommon at all.

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, that response is hilarious. I am laughing and my bride ask what is so funny on t-net. When I told her your reply she thought I am crazy.

OP
OP
B

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the informative responses. I have found a used X-Terra 705 for $400 and plan on getting a Coiltek WOT 15" 3kHz ($300) which should with adjustments get me close to 14" on a silver quarter. This detector has alot of adjustments and it's not as user friendly as others as far as telling you what the target might be other than a number I am assuming the higher the number the more conductive but have yet to figure out what coins lands where on it. Will have to do alot of experimenting to get used to it but I think so far it is a great machine from what i hear.

OP
OP
B

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Kokta was one I was looking into only thing is there's no display

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've pulled park coins in moist grassy soil at 10 inches with my AT Gold. It's a squawky little bugger but it can go pretty deep for a mid range priced detector.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've pulled park coins in moist grassy soil at 10 inches with my AT Gold. It's a squawky little bugger but it can go pretty deep for a mid range priced detector.

I agree that the AT's can get down there when set up right, because I have done it. But I also acknowledge that I see guys pull up deep silver from "hunted out" sites with high end MineLabs. It's just a fact of life and I feel no jealousy or whatever about it. Those high end machines go deeper, particularly in skilled/experienced hands. I realized a year or two ago that there are coins out there deeper than what my ATP, and my skills, can detect. I see it when a lawn or boulevard is ripped out etc. and I find a STILL DEEP 1910 silver dime or whatever. A few times I have realized that some signals were over my head depth wise, for whatever reason. As someone said before, this hobby is about having fun, and I get that in spades with my ATP. But if someone is seeking deep silver, are there stronger machines out there for it? Yes. Is the Minelab CTX3030 more capable of finding deep old silver than my AT Pro ? Yes, but it is also 1/3 the cost. I can live with all of this and enjoy myself out there. If you have a CTX you have a top end machine, and I wish a good day to you sir.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the AT's can get down there when set up right, because I have done it. But I also acknowledge that I see guys pull up deep silver from "hunted out" sites with high end MineLabs. It's just a fact of life and I feel no jealousy or whatever about it. Those high end machines go deeper, particularly in skilled/experienced hands. I realized a year or two ago that there are coins out there deeper than what my ATP, and my skills, can detect. I see it when a lawn or boulevard is ripped out etc. and I find a STILL DEEP 1910 silver dime or whatever. A few times I have realized that some signals were over my head depth wise, for whatever reason. As someone said before, this hobby is about having fun, and I get that in spades with my ATP. But if someone is seeking deep silver, are there stronger machines out there for it? Yes. Is the Minelab CTX3030 more capable of finding deep old silver than my AT Pro ? Yes, but it is also 1/3 the cost. I can live with all of this and enjoy myself out there. If you have a CTX you have a top end machine, and I wish a good day to you sir.

You paid $1000 for your AT Pro, lol? CTX sells for nearly $3000.

OP
OP
B

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cxt is 2400 at kellyco. wish i had the money for one

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cxt is 2400 at kellyco. wish i had the money for one
Ok, $2400 is a much better price! Still $800 seems like a lot. I usually see the AT Pro go for $594.

OP
OP
B

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll post my findings on the big coil when I get it. I need to refind my silver quarter I buried too deep last year haha woops

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A lot of you are also missing the HARD work that goes into detecting. It's hard work. There are a bunch of guys who go out there and hit a park for an hr and only pull obvious surface crap. Also most detectors (at least here in San Diego ) would rather hit the dry sands of the beach than hit a park. Probably why I find WAY more stuff in parks than at the beach right now. The beaches are saturated with guys swinging to the fences and the parks are empty because it's to much work for most of them to get up, get down, dig a hole, bury it up.. You will be hard pressed to find an old coin at the beach but you'll find one in a park....

OP
OP
B

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half the fun for me anyways is doing research on where would be a great place to hunt for older stuff. I honestly avoid trashy areas or areas that have had modern activity( unless I'm solely looking and discriminated for rings and jewelry) that way finds should be more likely to be period. I had a GTI 2500 and was working an old deserted site. This detector could tell me with 99% accuracy that it was a coin and what coin it was. 50% of the quarters I pulled out were old enough to be silver quarters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread