First Dime, Sorta & How Deep Is Too Deep?

S

SonjaMarie

First Dime, Sorta & How Deep Is Too Deep?

Hi all,

Went out for a bit.

Found part of a allumnium can. Then I had good signal I thought and I dug and dug and dug and I still couldn't find whatever it was supposed to be. The machine couldn't seem to decide out deep it was. How deep do you dig before you give up if you can't find it?

I did find a dime right next to the house, it was sitting out on top of the ground. I waved the machine over it and it couldn't seem to decide what it was and how deep it was, of course it wasn't any depth really. That drove me a bit nuts.

Any advice on both things?

Sonja Marie

Upvote 0

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
Re: First Dime, Sorta & How Deep Is Too Deep?

what could have happened is that the coin was on edge in the side of your plug and was not giving you an accurat reading.When something like that happens dig a wider hole ok? I've dug relics down so dang deep I wanted to give up and just widened my hole.One of my last paltes did that.I was down 18-20 inchesand widened my hole the plate was in the side with some iron.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Deepest I'v dug Before Giving up is Arms Length, while Lying on my side to reach the Object. If I'm lying on my side & arm streched to the max, with my scoop in my hand & still can't reach it. I GIVE UP.

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

I did widen it a few times. I did find a interesting looking stone that kinda reminded me of a anciet tool, probably wasn't and some wierd soil. I filled it in after I gave up.

Sonja Marie

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska

who knows you might have been getting a water pipe down there also.Ill be in the chat room if you want to talk about what you did.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree with Daniel. They Usually Pour Stone when Putting Water Lines in, before Filling The Hole.

J

Jim Cal

Hi Sonja, Most coins that are right on top of the ground do not read accurately. When I get a signal that is all over the place I pinpoint the location as well as I can by slightly lifting the loop off of the ground and x'ing the spot. I then just scrape the top of the ground at that point to see if maybe it isn't a surface target. Sometimes I find bits of metal or aluminum that have been chewed up by a mower right on the surface and sometimes it is a coin. This saves digging in many instances.

As far as digging a hole and not being able to find anything there are lots of variables. I assume you are scanning the dirt as you dig the hole. That will tell you if the target is in the dirt or still in the hole. If its not in the dirt try lifting your coil about 2 or three inches above the surface and scanning the hole again in both directions to try and more accurately pinpoint the target. One of the things some beginners have difficulty with is accurately pinpointing. I'm not saying that is what is happening to you but it could be. Once you've got a good pinpoint try to dig and scan the dirt as you go. I sometimes think I've got a target pinpointed only to find it is a an inch or two right or left or up or down from where I thought it was. That having been said, sometimes I give up too if I given it a digiligent effort. Good luck and keep getting out with you detector whenever you can because you will only get better and better. Jim Cal

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Sonja, make sure someone didn't tape a penny to the bottom of your coil as a joke. HAHA

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA

the whites prizm IV that i looked at today did the same thing. it was reading all sorts of things when we tried it on some different coins and my 10k gold ring.

mike

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Sigh that can't be good. And no penny taped to the bottom Stony but LOL!

Sonja Marie

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
The Deepest I'v dug Before Giving up is Arms Length, while Lying on my side to reach the Object. If I'm lying on my side & arm streched to the max, with my scoop in my hand & still can't reach it. I GIVE UP.

This has to be only on the beach.....
you could never do this in a school yard or persons property...

my max would be 10-12 inches... if I dig through hard ground that deep and can't find it, I usually give up...
but it also depends on the reading of the machine... if its a real good coin signal...
and I'm already real deep, I start digging out the sides of the whole, as your machine really only goes so deep
on a coin size item.... so it has to be in the sides of the hole...

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

I've had the same problem a few times, but practice makes perfect. ?I do it less now. ?I also figured out how to tell when a target is really deep, but large enough to register the detector. ?If it's really deep but large, the detector will sound off just as loud 6" off the ground as it will scraping the surface. ?

My pinpointing is getting better, yours will too. ?Also, I notice highly oxidized iron will often sound a high tone on my detector (fisher CZ7), and it will often make the detector sound off in the wrong spot. ?All metal mode will show the true position of the target. ?Try using all metal mode when pinpointing. ?

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

SonjaMarie! Most of the targets I dig average 1.5 to 4.5 inches deep. Deepest coin I found was 10 inches. Silver quarter. Is there a lot of black sand on your beach? It can interfere a lot with your readings. Read about it in your manual & try again. It will come to you with patience & practice. Spotz

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

Spotz,

This was actually in my yard. I did check the sides to but jsut couldn't find what it was reading, and I did try all metal when I P/P'ed where it was supposedly at.

Sonja Marie

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

If you dig so deep that a voice comes out of the hole saying "G'day" then you know you're too deep. ::) HH

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's

i would invest in a pinpointer. it has found a few coins for me that i probably would of gave up on.

bigrig

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms

dimes are sometimes squirly on my md . they will pinpoint in different places , but that tells me i have a dime ! then use pinpointer to find it . depth is usually ok tho .

TOWcritter

You're right about the pinpointer. I tried to find a couple of coins and it took forever. The reason: IT"S DIRT! I somehow forgot that dirt gets things DIRTY! A dark object in dark soil in nearly invisible. Now I carry my pinpointer with me all the time. It has to be close to sound off but its worth it. And it was a freeby!

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Your Prizm III is not going to detect a coin any deeper than 12". Probably more like 10". If I'm wrong another Prizm III owner will let us know. Unless there is something wrong with your detector or there was a piece of trash under that dime the Prizm should have locked on it. If you do a bench test. That is lay the detector on some kind of bench outside, turn it on and wave a dime below the coil. Does your detector tell you it's a dime? It should. Unless of course your standing under high voltage power lines.
Pinpointing is tricky to get the hang of. When you pull the trigger to pinpoint you are now in all metal mode. Any piece of trash that your detector had discriminated out is no longer discriminated. Unfortunatley your detector doesn't know it's the dime you're after and not the little piece of trash nearby. Just takes practice. And yes, like a previous post mentioned, spotting a dirty coin in the dirt isn't always easy.
Do a bench test, and use a wooden bench, and wave common targets under your coil and see what the detector says. A dime should say a dime, a quarter should say a quarter etc. etc. If it's working on the bench it will be working in your yard or at the park.
Practice makes perfect as they say. Keep at it. You'll get it.
I have to go now cuz my fingers are sore.

OP
OP
S

SonjaMarie

I'm afraid I don't have a bench handy. Would a couple of all wooden chairs put together work?

Sonja Marie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread