Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I don't think that anyone has started a thread for 2015 yet. What are your favorite tips and tricks that you like for metal detecting? Call 'em hacks if you like. What do have for a cool trick or shortcut for doing something related to detecting? One of my favorite things to use is Pam. Yeah, PAM the cooking spray. I wash my Sampson after I get done with the day of digging, and when it dries, I spray it with PAM. It helps keep moist soils from sticking.

I was having a problem working some very rich soils on the farms that I have been hunting, and it would irritate me to no end that I would have huge globs of soil sticking to the steel on my Lesche and my Sampson. I used to do a lot of woodworking, and I read that guys who cut a lot of pine like to spray PAM on the blades of their table saws to help in keeping the pine resin down. I decided to try it on my digging tools, and I have to say that it worked really nice.

What do you folks have for some decent tips or tricks?

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My trick?...I roll up my sleeves when asking for permissions...one look at my tat, permission granted!!!
006.JPG

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a 12 inch probe with me on a certain site I frequent and probe the bottom and sides of the deeper holes that I dig after retrieving the artifact.Quite often I will hear the familiar sound of glass and will dig a bottle from hole before moving on. This of course will not get results on every hole or just any site but on properties where the structure was burned down and leveled along with the iron patch, this does prove a valuable method to score a little extra something. Here is a photo of an old broad hoe from 16 inches and an import beer bottle from just below it, probably from 1870's. Would have missed it had I not probed the already open hole

ujytrfdv (6).JPG ujytrfdv (3).JPG mhklp.JPG

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use PAM on my snow blower intake and discharge chute and snow shovels....works great!! :thumbsup:
Well, I don't think that anyone has started a thread for 2015 yet. What are your favorite tips and tricks that you like for metal detecting? Call 'em hacks if you like. What do have for a cool trick or shortcut for doing something related to detecting? One of my favorite things to use is Pam. Yeah, PAM the cooking spray. I wash my Sampson after I get done with the day of digging, and when it dries, I spray it with PAM. It helps keep moist soils from sticking.

I was having a problem working some very rich soils on the farms that I have been hunting, and it would irritate me to no end that I would have huge globs of soil sticking to the steel on my Lesche and my Sampson. I used to do a lot of woodworking, and I read that guys who cut a lot of pine like to spray PAM on the blades of their table saws to help in keeping the pine resin down. I decided to try it on my digging tools, and I have to say that it worked really nice.

What do you folks have for some decent tips or tricks?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use No Touch tire spray does same thing as Pam but leaves no residue, makes items slick so nothing sticks

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell that tat came straight out of a cracker jack box.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
For trash and targets that will be kept but are worth little (trinkets, toy cars, etc.), I use mesh bags on my belt for carrying them. The agitation caused by my movement tends to dislodge the dirt on them, which in turn simply falls out of the bags. As I'm normally hunting in an urban environment, I also like that curious bystanders can see those finds and deduce that I'm basically digging up garbage - a deception that I have no problem with, as it seems to make everyone happier and I don't believe that my good finds are anyone's business but mine...and perhaps a few thousand like-minded strangers on the internet. :)

Jewelry goes into a pocket, and quickly. I don't bother to examine it more closely until I'm back in the car, especially if it's gold. People have been killed over less here in the past.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three that I can think of.
1) Wear a knee pad on your opposite knee (from your dominant hand). most of the time, I simply kneel down on one knee. This saves my knee and my pant leg. Makes it a lot more comfortable to detect for a few hours.

2) When its hot outside, just wear your headphones around your neck and turn up the volume to where you can hear it. No point in getting too warm. Besides, when it's warmer outside, there's typically more people, and I find it better to hear what's going on around me.

3) A thick steak knife works wonders in sod. No point in using a massive digger for a 2" dig. A thick bladed steak knife (readily found at thrift stores) works great to cut a small flap and pry it up. Also works great coin popping stuff out of the thatch.

Skippy

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I attached a belt extension to my tool belt where I attached my pro pointer holder so it is roughly halfway down my left theigh. from here I can leave the pro pointer
on throughout my detecting session and it won't be set off by anything. I hate turning it on and off with each use.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of my best time savers is my magnet digger holder. I used a flat piece of plastic from a plastic tub. Cut it to fit in the digger sheath. I then glued multiple rare earth magnets to the plastic. Then just slid it into the sheath. Now the digger clickers and sticks to the out side of the sheath. No more trying to find the sheath opening, or dirt jammed in there. Quick and easy...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a tip for beach hunters.

Wear mirrored polarized sunglasses for cutting the glare from the surface of the water so you can easily see paper money or chains on the bottom. It also helps cut down on beatings from girls that are sunbathing from you staring at them. Or can't we talk about this?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow... I just read this (without looking at the author), and though, MAN, that guy is just like Me. I Like this guys style. I went to click the "like" button, and DOH! It WAS me.

Maybe I outa lay off the Diet Mt. Dew for a while. Seems like it's affecting me.

Three that I can think of.
1) Wear a knee pad on your opposite knee (from your dominant hand). most of the time, I simply kneel down on one knee. This saves my knee and my pant leg. Makes it a lot more comfortable to detect for a few hours.

2) When its hot outside, just wear your headphones around your neck and turn up the volume to where you can hear it. No point in getting too warm. Besides, when it's warmer outside, there's typically more people, and I find it better to hear what's going on around me.

3) A thick steak knife works wonders in sod. No point in using a massive digger for a 2" dig. A thick bladed steak knife (readily found at thrift stores) works great to cut a small flap and pry it up. Also works great coin popping stuff out of the thatch.

Skippy

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We can ALWAYS talk about how girls beat you up because you were watching them sunbathe like a creeper.

oh DO tell... :)

This could be funny... or really really sad. Either way, I'm up for returning later to read all about it!

Here's a tip for beach hunters.

Wear mirrored polarized sunglasses for cutting the glare from the surface of the water so you can easily see paper money or chains on the bottom. It also helps cut down on beatings from girls that are sunbathing from you staring at them. Or can't we talk about this?

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to wear lightweight mechanics coveralls, long-sleeves, or a pair of Carharrt coveralls when detecting. This totally eliminates the dreaded crack-attack. It also eliminates the need to haul up on your drawers every time you bend over to dig. My preference is the coveralls. They are roomy, and if you get the 65% polyester/35% cotton, they look sharp, and are quite cool and comfortable. Clothing IS gear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions