All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
American companies copy and steal from their competition all the time! The Fisher's F75 and the T2 for example. Its just business. Then comes competition from outside sources and there's suddenly a big issue whether Japan or China. The issue here is someone's undercutting the competition and people get angry.. well Ill judge the competition myself. If its a waste of money or not, no matter its my money to waste. Ill post a honest review on YouTube and here. If I don't like it or it doesn't work Ill take it apart and tinker with it for fun.. I couldn't afford a 1000$ risk like that from a real T2.

It isn't stealing when both brands are owned by the same company.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been other countries. In many human rights do not exist, nor do livable wages. I was in one country where laborers who worked 40 hours a week earn what is equivalent to 40 dollars.

I hope your detector works and you are happy. I am glad to see that you are standing up for your beliefs, but what kind of comments did you think your post would reap? Over 20 years ago we were moving to a more information and service based economy due to stringent EPA and other laws. I am not against these bodies as trying to better our health the quality of our water and air, it's just hard to stomach when the pollution made from industry that was once here (supporting American families) are now being spewed in other parts of the world with little or no regulations.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is going to be full of anti-China rhetoric. You have opened the floodgates!

Put another shrimp on the Barbie and hand me a Fosters, I am going to sit back and enjoy this one. Cheers!

A friend of mine once said that to an Australian. He was promptly corrected with, "it's not a shrimp, it's a PRAWNNNnnnn."

I can't help but think of the story every time I hear it now. Ruined me.

Skippy

OP
OP
D

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if I don't care about warranty, I basically can't buy from overseas with certain 'big names'.

* I can't buy a Garrett from overseas. Distribution is locked-up. I have to buy from the local overpriced distributor or get no Garrett. Of course I can buy from more heavily overpriced private sellers.
* I can barely buy a Minelab from overseas (Amazon.co.uk seems to sell them directly (ie. no third party seller) but they don't mention their manufacturer. It's an odd practice. I made a thread on the matter; it currently has no comments. I'm assuming that they're genuine.
* Some of the smaller players are harder to find and even harder to send to Australia, let alone find reasonably-priced after the strong USA dollar is taken into account.

Meanwhile the Chinese sellers seem to want to sell to anyone. And do it at a low price.

Politics
You can look here:
Most favoured nation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Politics is all about self-interest at the expense of the people. Whether it be the constant profitable wars and unpayable debt. Or trade wars and constant propaganda and lies - in all nations. Suffice to say, I don't have any issues with buying from China. We are doing it even on many "made in USA" products. My recent favourite has been Stanley products "Made In USA" from global materials. Hilarious. Many people might have issues with the USA itself too....like those on the receiving end of its wars. That's without going into the countless US corporations avoiding taxes the best way they know how (Apple, Google, Amazon, Starbucks, GE, etc.)

I don't think any country is any different when it comes to lies and unfair practices. So I have no issues buying from China and I don't pretend that I am promoting freedom or fairness when buying USA products too. I will support good products. What I have felt is that the detector market is overpriced and when I see distribution "locked up" like it is, well these things often go hand-in-hand.

good Chinese brands
Looking forward to hearing about more of them, or any testing people have done.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy counterfeit watches, don't buy the wife counterfeit clothes or purses, don't buy counterfeit artifacts or antiques, doesn't matter if they made in China or Texas, counterfeit is counterfeit...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I do not buy counterfeit either .. But i did buy a Digital video camcorder from China it only cost me ..$34.00 plus $4.00 shipping from China to the USA ..And i will tell you that Camcorder is as good as a $200.00 + camcorder and i am pleased with it .. Nice pictures clear as can be and has all the Bell's & Whistle's on it you find on high price camcorders ... And it does not have a brand name on it ... It is just called HD camcorder..

OP
OP
D

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy counterfeit watches, don't buy the wife counterfeit clothes or purses, don't buy counterfeit artifacts or antiques, doesn't matter if they made in China or Texas, counterfeit is counterfeit...

I have no idea which are or aren't. I have non-counterfeit Chinese goods that are top-notch; original designs. Absolutely fantastic value when you consider the price. I was hoping that amongst the few counterfeits (if they are counterfeits) that there would be some original designs worth investigating. The implication above seems to be that China makes nothing but counterfeits.

While we all love to support 'non-slave' labour and 'fairness' in this thread, we seem to forget that what China is going through now is nothing different to what every 'developed' nation went through: massive environmental degradation (including stealing of land), massive rights violations, social unrest, slave labour, etc. Lots of the same still goes on in every nation today, rich or poor (even the most vocal defenders of freedom are the most war-mongering nation on earth). Japanese companies were copying the popular stuff at the time of their massive growth too....that's how lots of them started out. Copy & (hopefully) improve. From cameras to radios to TV.

I haven't investigated any of the insides of any metal detector and wouldn't know what to look for, but I am not against similar or even identical (external) designs. Are the insides the same? Don't know. But I consider similar or identical designs par for the (unfair) course. I don't respect them more than original designs though.

Since I own many Chinese goods from original Chinese companies doing original designs, I was hoping I'd learn about more of them here and maybe even buy one.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me counterfeit is counterfeit, has nothing to do with being from China. I would buy a Nokta or Marko, both made in Turkey, but they are original, not counterfeit...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Original designs, improvement on an old design, near design, those don't matter! Purchase if these are great tools!
But not counterfeit!
I'd be bummed if the "Made in USA" Les Paul I just purchased turned out to be a fake!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got an mpdigital(chinese)detector as a bogo deal when I got an at pro.It was not a knock off but an original chinese design.What a total piece of trash.The retailer promptle took it back,paid for shipping and credited me towards an f2.It was a gift for an employee.It was amazing how poorly constructed and designed that mpx was.Performance was awful as well.

This was my accidental expierience with a legit chineese detector,laughable

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you have Netflix there is a GREAT documentary on how China is destroying the world economy, NOT just the US's. Reasons like child labor, ZERO safety control, pollution, and quality control are only a number of reasons as why NOT to buy from China. They are renowned for backward engineering. Don't know what that is? Ask many US companies with great ideas who went to China and set up there thinking that it was smart because overhead was much MUCH cheaper. What China did was have Chinese workers come in and act as basic employees when in fact they were spies for other companies. They would assimilate all the intel they could and then come back and take over the company through litigation. Then fire everyone and run the owner off. They would then flip the company and its ideas and make it their own. So to say.. That my friend is the Chinese way.
A few months ago I tried to buy a microwave as mine went out . I decided to buy American. Please TRY to find an American made microwave. Something that was created in the USA. It simply does not exist. NO company makes one . You think GE? NOPE. They didn't go Chinese, they went to the Swedes, who in turn have stuff made in the Philippines, China, and Mexico... Very few things are made in the US anymore. And of those that "are" , many of the components are not.
You raised a serious hair on my back asking an ignorant question like that. Being born in Flint MI, near Detroit in the 70's I saw first hand how things can go south real fast. And they did.
There are temptations to buy Chinese and for a few reasons I don't blame you for asking since we are on a financial decline. But think about why we are on that decline. If you throw money away from your community sooner or later your community will go bust. I'll pay a few extra dollars to make it last longer, have better warranty, better customer service and peace of mind. If you want something to last one or two times then go to Harbor Freight. If you want it last buy Snap-On. You get the idea. I hope.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the best computer innovations of all time (IBM PC) is purchased be Lenovo, Beijing in 2005. Then Lenovo purchases Motorola Mobility last year. If Lenovo purchases Apple or Microsoft, it's time to really get concerned, and pick up Rosetta Stone-Chinese.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I agree with this.
While I happen to think egoists who spend four or five figures on a watch are idiots, at least they don't make any bones about what they are paying for (although the era of extremely accurate, very high quality Swiss watch fakes does leave them entirely in the realm of the philosophical, with no practical argument for their purchase).

My point is that if one is going to belittle these machines, please do so on something credible. A moral stand about 'counterfeiting' is credible. If there are ACTAUL performance differences, fine. That's credible. My problem is watching people citing vague, almost abstract 'quality differences' but when asked to justify it, they just trot out platitudes or logical fallacies ("You get what you pay for", which is a fools mantra in the modern age.

Brands figured out sometime in the 90's that charging more is actually better for 'perception' of your product. Its why Ray Ban sunglasses used to cost $29 but now cost $129. Its why a Gibson Les Paul used to cost $950, now retail for upwards of $4000. The Asians realized how absurd this process was and started offering 'branded' products, that were often times as well made as the delusionaly-priced "real thing", for a fraction of the price.

I await actual performance testing on these knock-off machines. If they are low-performing, then that is all that needs be said. That is a reason not to buy them. If the technology has been successfully cloned and the machines perform as well as the higher priced version but cost much less, then there's an existential problem. I remember when idiots wrote off Japanese guitars as "Japanese junk" when they were, in fact, SUPERIOR to American made instruments from that same time and history now recognizes that.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machines are made to look like other manufacturers detectors for a reason, they were copied, they are counterfeits, their products are nothing more than stolen copies, no different than knock offs of other products like watches and purses.

There is a difference between an authentic product produced by a country and a counterfeit product produced by a country. The guitars you speak of weren't copies of Gibson sold as Gibson, they were authentic guitars.... I was buying Japanese products before most members here were born...

If members want to buy counterfeit detectors that is their business as long as they are not advertised on TN, no links to any sites selling them...

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The Chinese detectors described as countetfits, has it been determined that they are counterfeit, leagely? Copying is something else. Companies are always copying and altering products regardless of the country.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chinese counterfeit
01099aa7c2b52405d2ebb29b0a068d88.jpg

Garrett 250
8911e0150dd9fe4858aaeab09caaac2c.jpg

Fisher F75
7fd81801ae6ad8e88804a73fd61d07b8.jpg

Chinese counterfeit
dc5fb609eb332d1ff8418d6e04c30d39.jpg

Tesoro Sand Shark logo
0689136f67980b278d837e909b8a692d.jpg