All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are knockoffs......

Oct 6, 2007
Montana
I can't think of anything good that came out of China that wasn't made out of clay or pottery. Everything else is crap that doesn't work as advertised, or at least not for long. Just cheap low quality, low cost junk that will cost you more in the long run due to constant repairs/replacements and postage/fuel costs. Best bet is to buy a quality detector from a reputable company that provides a variety of search coils for the detector you chose, so that it can be configured for the type of treasure hunting you plan to do

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone using a good metal detector from a good Chinese brand? Just curious; so many things are made in China these days, and there are some fantastic Chinese brands in handheld radios and so on. There have to be some great ones coming from China, right?
Currently? No....thank goodness. The last thing I want to do is give China more of our money.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is going to be full of anti-China rhetoric. You have opened the floodgates!

Put another shrimp on the Barbie and hand me a Fosters, I am going to sit back and enjoy this one. Cheers!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
There was a time electronics made in Japan were considered junk. They turned that around.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time electronics made in Japan were considered junk. They turned that around.

Maybe so.. but they are also world renowned now for knockoff imitations, from rolex, gucci, cars, and even metal detectors.... Stay away from anything on allibaba, or allakazam ...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their detectors are knockoffs of Name brand detectors, basically counterfeits.....

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It always depends. China's cheap labor rate attracts businesses worldwide. If the engineering and design is implemented in the US, and China meets the standard of manufacturing the product to spec, and the quality control meets the same US standard, then just the fact it was made in China doesn't make it "junk". Labor is labor. Most all LCD TV screens are made in China for every TV manufacturer.

China is in the same position South Korea was 20 years ago. And when Hyundai first came to the USA, it was junk. But now Hyundai, Kia and Samsung have improved to become global leaders in prospective areas.

China's business ethics and quality control leave a lot to be desired. But some companies are overcoming those issues, like Tecsun. And if they can, it will create an ultra competitive market, that could drive a hard wedge into the heart of "union based" companies.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Cars, too.

MAN THEM JAPANESE MAKE JUNK NO TRUE AMERICAN WOULD EVER BUY THAT GARBAGE!!! ... as 86 Ford Tempos and Chevy Citations were blowing up after 20K miles and Honda Civics were going 200,000 trouble free.

Guitars. MAN THEM JAPANESE MAKE JUNK EVERYONE KNOWS THAT AMERICAN MADE GUITARS HAVE BETTER TONE!! ... which was ridiculously untrue and in many cases were better made instruments then their American counterparts.

I'll await passing judgement on Chinese machines until I have a chance to handle a few and compare their real world performance to the better American brands, but I do know when the 'patriots' start writing off foreign made gear because of baseless abstractions, its usually not credible.

OP
OP
D

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Basically just wanted to know whether I was missing out on some good Chinese brands. Found it a bit odd how so much of the market is US-centric since I already have very positive Chinese brand experiences with graphics tablets (Ugee, Huion) and walkie-talkies (Wouxun, Feidaxin) and many other areas. China is resource-rich and would probably have some good local metal-detecting tech from brands trying to establish themselves in the global market, I thought.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Actually I thought about ordering detectors in bulk from china. I would name and label them Best Detectors. That why when ever anyone made a search on line for best metal detector, my web site would come up. Lots of ideas but lack the drive or resources.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jun Hong manufactures detectors. Problem is, they take FTPs hard work in designing and make basically a double with their name and trademark (FastGrab instead of GroundGrab). They have a Gold Bug II replica as well, plus a few others they market that we see on EBay. I don't see how they can sell the FTP replica's, and until China starts creating a fair trade system protecting copyrights, I would not buy a Chinese metal detector. It's not about price, it's about morals.

Is this Jun Hong Gold Finder a F75?
View attachment 1151758

Or a Gold Bug II
View attachment 1151761

Thieves.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jun Hong manufactures detectors. Problem is, they take FTPs hard work in designing and make basically a double with their name and trademark (FastGrab instead of GroundGrab). They have a Gold Bug II replica as well, plus a few others they market that we see on EBay. I don't see how they can sell the FTP replica's, and until China starts creating a fair trade system protecting copyrights, I would not buy a Chinese metal detector. It's not about price, it's about morals.

Is this Jun Hong Gold Finder a F75?
View attachment 1151758

Or a Gold Bug II
View attachment 1151761

Thieves.
I'm opposed to buying from China based not on the quality of the product, but, their unfair business practices, our balance of trade deficit, and their politics. While they have guns pointed at us and our friends, I'm not going to buy the bullets for them to put in those guns.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm opposed to buying from China based not on the quality of the product, but, their unfair business practices, our balance of trade deficit, and their politics. While they have guns pointed at us and our friends, I'm not going to buy the bullets for them to put in those guns.

Your/my government owes China so much money we barely pay the interest on it each year. No time soon will we be dictating fair trade to someone we owe trillions of dollars to. As the government continues to devalue the dollar, many will seek less expensive alternatives in manufactured goods. And China will be right there to fill that need.

The current president alone has almost doubled what we once owed China. Food prices don't go up. It just takes more of a devalued dollar to purchase.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our government may not have the guts to say NO to China, but, we as consumers can sure do it! We just need to start reading labels and asking where something is made.

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I thought about ordering detectors in bulk from china. I would name and label them Best Detectors. That why when ever anyone made a search on line for best metal detector, my web site would come up. Lots of ideas but lack the drive or resources.

only they'll come in 'Bset'

..still get you google #1 rank (google knows everything)

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Its nearly impossible to escape Chinese goods in the modern era. The computer you typed that message on is full of them.
People often get selective-morality about foreign made products as it relates to something they have a particular fetish for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions