What got you started in metal detecting?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, Ron Paul convinced me to get into metal detecting. A few years ago I was watching Ron Paul in congress and he mentioned that a silver dollar could get you a few gallons of gas in the past, but now it could get you a full tank. Granted, silver has dropped since then, but I realized that precious metals could be a solid way to hedge against inflation. I stocked up on some silver eagles and called it good. Then I became informed about how older currency contained silver, and having smaller silver like dimes and quarters could be a good way to collect silver, and possibly be used in trade in the event of an economic collapse.

That thought was a little "out there" for me, but better to be prepared than to be sorry. While looking into purchasing smaller silver, I came across metal detecting videos of people finding silver. Silver... for free? Count me in. I had my heart set on a Coinmaster GT, until my local dealer convinced me to go with an AT Pro. He didn't even sell that model, so I knew he wasn't trying to con me. Well, as you may have guessed, silver did not pop out of every hole. It is one of those rare treats that brighten the hunt.

However, the more I detected and found really old items, the more intrigued with history I became, and my mind raced with the stories that might be behind the items I had found. What started as a hobby to greedily fill my stash with silver coins soon became a mission to uncover the lost history that the Earth had swallowed to be forgotten.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was into coin collecting as a kid and would spend all my grass cutting, bottle deposit finds and any other money I could scrape up and buy coins in a mall coin shop. The guy was a White's dealer and I heard stories of people finding their own coins for free! I saved up all I could and conned Mom and Dad to chip in the rest on my birthday and Christmas present and got a new 5000/D. Still at it after 40 years and can't wait for the next chance to get out!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank God for Radio Shack....I think my first detector cost me $19.95 back in the mid '70's. Man, it was fun!! After the boys grew up and left home, then I got serious about MDing. The wife still likes looking for the "pointy rocks", so I have to split my time between the two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions