Dear Metal Detector Manufacturers...

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 2015. We love your products and use them for hours upon hours outside. Isn't it time for ALL models to have waterproofing on the control unit? It is the brain of our machines, and those who do not have a model with waterproofing are forced to fear the rain or the edge of bodies of water. I'm pretty sure most people would gladly pay a small premium to have waterproofing on any metal detector they wanted to buy.

That is all.

Upvote 0

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Stick the control box in a clear plastic bag or buy a better detector. Simple really

Wow, LOL,
Oh yeah... Its simple, so simple.
Pay $1500 plus tax for a purposely under innovated and under built metal detector, then "stick the control box in a plastic bag".

Thats all, its really quite simple, You know, get a plastic bag, some rubber bands, some tape, maybe some glue, a little bit of molasses...... LOL

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mean to interrupt the argument! But a waterproof design would also keep the sand and dust out as well as the salty air which is abundant when I detect the beach.

leomessi

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
o.png

:occasion14::laughing7:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a multitude of after purchase fixes in an attempt to reach a moisture protection level. There is nothing wrong with us users requesting manufactures to just go ahead and manufacture their products in such a manner so water protection is the normal and not the exception. The new Fisher F44 that is coming out has addressed this issue and because of that fact there is a lot of attention being focused on this companies up coming releases. The suggested retail price mentioned today was about $350 which many are stating that these are entry level machines. The reports so far seem state that the features hiding behind the weather proofing are equal to some high dollar units. If Fisher can do this in today's market then so can the balance of the other manufactures. This one added feature should turn a lot of sales in Fishers direction. The buying public making their feelings directly to the manufactures can and will cause them to make the changes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, LOL,
Oh yeah... Its simple, so simple.
Pay $1500 plus tax for a purposely under innovated and under built metal detector, then "stick the control box in a plastic bag".

Thats all, its really quite simple, You know, get a plastic bag, some rubber bands, some tape, maybe some glue, a little bit of molasses...... LOL

ee682c1a93c15eaf5e6cdd922fc63a6e.jpg

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I think the manufacturers are scared of is their customers "making use" of the waterproof features and it resulting in more returns of their gear. The higher support costs make the manufacturers cry "WHERE IS THE PROFIT?". They do this out loud regularly.

Countless "waterproof" cameras get water going inside them to this day. Sand on the rubber seal, etc. They probably don't want these types of hassles with their detectors, especially not the cheaper ones for the casual hobbyist.

But I guess there are exceptions.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I think the manufacturers are scared of is their customers "making use" of the waterproof features and it resulting in more returns of their gear. The higher support costs make the manufacturers cry "WHERE IS THE PROFIT?". They do this out loud regularly.

Countless "waterproof" cameras get water going inside them to this day. Sand on the rubber seal, etc. They probably don't want these types of hassles with their detectors, especially not the cheaper ones for the casual hobbyist.

But I guess there are exceptions.
Whet there are more afraid of is misuse of detectors then claiming the unit failed...

Minelab use to install large coils on excals as example, they stopped because people would send their detectors back to Minelab claiming Minelab did the work and now coil doesn't work, yet ML could not find work order, and customer would say they threw away their receipt when ML would ask customer to produce receipt showing work done...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the "waterproof" crowd and then there is the big percentage of users who would be satisfied with the weatherproof label. Adding the weatherproof feature to a detector should not encourage ill treatment due to its rating. I would think that it would provide a degree of longevity to any detector having that label. Not letting in the moisture will also keep out the dirt and dust. Just make mine weather proof and I will be happy. When I decide to dive with my detector then I will spend the bucks to acquire a machine that is labeled for that function.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El padron, post deleted, we have language rules, we are a family friendly forum... Please post accordingly...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread