Dear Metal Detector Manufacturers...

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is 2015. We love your products and use them for hours upon hours outside. Isn't it time for ALL models to have waterproofing on the control unit? It is the brain of our machines, and those who do not have a model with waterproofing are forced to fear the rain or the edge of bodies of water. I'm pretty sure most people would gladly pay a small premium to have waterproofing on any metal detector they wanted to buy.

That is all.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is 2015. We love your products and use them for hours upon hours outside. Isn't it time for ALL models to have waterproofing on the control unit? It is the brain of our machines, and those who do not have a model with waterproofing are forced to fear the rain or the edge of bodies of water. I'm pretty sure most people would gladly pay a small premium to have waterproofing on any metal detector they wanted to buy.

That is all.

I think Fisher already heard that request since the F22 and F44 are sealed to 24" underwater, making them surely weatherproof.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree! I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 for a 6"-24" water seal. Seriously, we're not trying to replace the 10' waterproof models, we're just afraid of rain and water drippage!

-Skippy

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! I'd be willing to pay an extra $10 for a 6"-24" water seal. Seriously, we're not trying to replace the 10' waterproof models, we're just afraid of rain and water drippage!

-Skippy

Exactly! Detectors for underwater purposes can remain in their own league.

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell I just wish I had one I could use in a drizzle ............ I ain't planning on getting my feet wet ...

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not include reasonably priced wireless headphones or module for same on the list. Are there that many people that really enjoy being tethered to their detector. Once you experience wireless detecting it is hard to go back.

peterh

Greenie
Jul 13, 2005
Stick the control box in a clear plastic bag or buy a better detector. Simple really

here4themoney

Mar 3, 2015
SE Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Gold - White's Prizm IV - BountyHunter Quick Draw II - BountyHunter Pioneer 101 - Compass Judge
Garrett Pro Pointer - Gold Pans and Sluices
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If other brands put out quality waterproof machines in the $500-$1000 price range it would have made my decision to buy the AT Gold a lot harder. Being waterproof was the biggest reason I went with it, they are losing lots of sales to the Garret AT's because of it.

BTW.. Thrilled with my Garrett AT Gold, it's been great for me.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Every thread pertaining to this subject has been closed or completely erased.
(1 after 600 posts and over 22,000 views)
Historically the manufacturers have sold "dreams" to inexperienced people that pay thousands of dollars for cheaply made machines that are purposely under innovated and extremely overpriced.
As of late, the subject pertaining to obvious lack of quality and value has been gaining ground resulting in substantial retail slowdowns and some progress has begun to occur.
There is still a lot of overpriced purposely under built garbage out there, but it no longer flys off the shelf.
Quality equipment will not come easily to the Industry leader's customers. They are used to huge profits that have come very easily.
One manufacturer has thus begun to price their new hand held models in the tens of thousand of dollars.

Last edited:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every thread pertaining to this subject has been closed or completely erased.
(1 after 600 posts and over 22,000 views)
Historically the manufacturers have sold "dreams" to inexperienced people that pay thousands of dollars for cheaply made machines that are purposely under innovated and extremely overpriced.
As of late, the subject pertaining to obvious lack of quality and value has been gaining ground resulting in substantial retail slowdowns and some progress has begun to occur.
There is still a lot of overpriced purposely under built garbage out there, but it no longer flys off the shelf.
Quality equipment will not come easily to the Industry leader's customers. They are used to huge profits that have come very easily.
One manufacturer has thus begun to price their new hand held models in the tens of thousand of dollars.
Wrong, in fact the opposite is true, Codan, parent company of Minelab reported 70 million in detector sales last physical year and reports for this year which end in June 30, 2015 have sales and profits even higher.

Codan Limited (ASX: CDA) has been one of the surprise favorites of the recent reporting season after it reported a 12% lift in revenue, a 33% lift in underlying net profit to $6.01 million, and a 1.5 cent per share interim dividend for the first half of the 2015 financial year.

The solid half has culminated in a 28% lift in the share price over the first two months of the year, but shareholders must be wondering if it can go even higher in 2015.

happycamper08

Sep 27, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People worry about a shower to much. P.S. Hunting in the rain SUCKS!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People worry about a shower to much. P.S. Hunting in the rain SUCKS!

That is true but if you get caught in one of the nasty sudden downpours we get here in South FL your detector is toast even with a bag over it. So i welcome the addition of inexpensive O rings and case design allowing your detector to get soaked or submerged. furthermore for those who hunt near the beach like i do, salt in the air mixed in with small microscopic debris will work its way into all detectors that do not have these o-rings. Eventually destroying electrical connections and damaging PCBs, this is especially true when salt finds its under IC legs and other surface mount components. This will even change tolerance levels and accuracy of circuits, sodium is a conductive metal. So i think the push for weatherproof/ waterproof machines is a great one and brings peace of mind.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong, in fact the opposite is true, Codan, parent company of Minelab reported 70 million in detector sales last physical year and reports for this year which end in June 30, 2015 have sales and profits even higher.

Codan Limited (ASX: CDA) has been one of the surprise favorites of the recent reporting season after it reported a 12% lift in revenue, a 33% lift in underlying net profit to $6.01 million, and a 1.5 cent per share interim dividend for the first half of the 2015 financial year.

The solid half has culminated in a 28% lift in the share price over the first two months of the year, but shareholders must be wondering if it can go even higher in 2015.

I'm not wrong at all,

Here's the results of 3 minutes worth of research.
Codan has declared that Minelab sales have declined significantly after a record 2013, They also report strong action against counterfeiters in 2014. That means people are actually opting to risk buying copies of their products rather then pay the huge unreasonable price tags.Fiscal reports are reported for the past.
No projections have been made for obvious reasons.
The radio communication division has done well due to new state and federal agency demand.
Their investor relations department is aggressively seeking new investors, as of last the stock price has closed below $1.15

Stocks at that range are prone to much volatility so the recent appreciation can be attributed to many factors.

This is an ultra small Cap company and quite frankly, take it from someone who knows, the financials look scary.

Also Minelab is not the only manufacturer whose sales have declined in 2014,. At the wholesale level the sentiment is a lot clearer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bull... People are buy Chinese counterfeits because they think they are getting the same detector for less money....

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Uhgg...please lock it now...please.

And here you see a perfect example of the market demographic that has made this perfect storm possible for so long...

deepclaw

Apr 22, 2015
Melbourne
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* Waterproofness plus bundled waterproof carry bags please, without the obnoxious branding (or at least far smaller branding).
* Big rubber bumpers on the detector to protect the 'brain' from knocks and everyday use.
* Lighter-coloured casings so they don't heat up so much in the blistering sun (keeping batteries and electronics cooler)
* the end to ridiculously marked-up accessories (I can dream)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread