Recommendations for a Detector in Mineralized Soil

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
In the past several years I've had a habit of buying a detector in the spring, and then reselling it in the fall to pay some bills, and repeating this every year. In the past 4 years I've had four different detectors - a Garrett GTA 350, Whites XLT Spectrum, Minelab Musketeer, and Fisher 1232-X. The only one that performed well for me was the Minelab, as it was able to compensate for my highly-mineralized soil and still give good depth. Unfortunately, the Minelab had some annoying drawbacks - shoddy craftsmanship (the main unit falling off the shaft, for example), lack of a volume control, and the awkward design that required flipping two switches to go into pinpoint mode. I might have kept the Minelab if not for those flaws.
I'm now considering buying one of two Tesoro machines this time - either a Cibola or Vacquera. The Vacquera is preferable because it has a ground balance adjustment, but whether this helps or not I don't know - and that's why I'm asking you guys. Do you think it would perform as well in mineralized soil?
Just to give you an idea of how bad my soil is.... any copper coins over 100 years old are always very green and corroded, and anything over 150 years old is almost unrecognizable. My Dad found an 1812 Nova Scotia penny and only an area about 1/4" square was still visible - everything else was completely eaten away.
Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

Davidedh

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2013
trieste
Detector(s) used
Superb Sound MD-3006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your very precise answer, now I know everything!
the md system with pulse induction lose much in discrimination, but in highly mineralized ground becomes a sniper target, even if you do not know whether it is gold or iron in reality '!
the fact that the 'Excalibur ol' E-Trac has been misjudged by my colleagues in Italy is not justified because his work in reality it does, you who have never tried very, very mineralized soils and they want to hear the sound of 'gold ... the tests made ​​with necklaces d' a few grams of gold were not different sounds in the headphones! my collegli looking at beaches with black sand of volcanic origin
hours and hours to find junk, and have problems with the settings ...

what do you think of Garrett AT PRO International search coil 8.5 x 11 "DD? l 'have you ever tried in your part in SoCal?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most machines with automatic ground balancing and/or large coils will have a problem detecting a necklace with small links. The machine thinks the small links are just part of the soil matrix and therefore is ignored. With a machine that you can set the ground balance manually, and/or using a small coil, you should be able to find them. Gold nugget machines have no problem with necklaces because they are made to find small gold. The AT Pro I used, didn't work as well on the beach (wet sand) as others I have. You have to turn the sensitivity down to get it stable and end up losing some depth. Other areas with bad ground is similar. You can balance it, and it will work, but just not as good as other machines made for bad ground. It's still a good, versatile machine, given those limitations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread