Finally got one

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been a member of Tnet for a long time but I mainly stayed in the coin roll hunting section lol
But I finally bought a detector.
I found a Garrett AT pro for $350 never used so I couldn't pass it up.
I've used it 2 times and found 12 cents both times and a hot wheels car from the 80's

I'm going to try and learn the pro mode soon
Any tips?? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430368833.221645.jpg

Upvote 0

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since you're not near saltwater you have an awesome detector. BTW I prefer detecting in lakes or rivers with a scoop beats digging in the ground. Good luck on your first season!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
It just takes practice. Make yourself a test garden, so that you can become familiar with the targets that you seek. Then just practice, practice, practice. The park and the school can make target rich practice areas. At first "pro mode" might seem sort of busy, but once you get used to it, there is a lot of info in all that noise! GL&HH.

treasureaddict

Apr 17, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like my at pro, use it everywhere including saltwater, just have to manual ground bounce it, watch the video if it came with it, if not, tube it or google it, LOVE THOSE SOLID HITS!!

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol I actually tried googling videos on pro mode and couldn't find a whole lot?? Idk why.
I've tried pro mode once or twice and I don't know if the areas I was in were just full of junk but it made so many sounds that I couldn't keep up. Lol

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you haven't yet, tape your coil cable to the shaft. You don't want it to bounce around, possibly creating false signals.

At first try to dig different sounding targets. But really listen to the target, before you dig. Making a mental note of the sounds. Its just training your brain.

Find a park thats close by. It can be a great benefit, having a park you can hit manny times. As the conditions of ground and emi will usually be constant. Giving a good control for hunting and learning.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been a member of Tnet for a long time but I mainly stayed in the coin roll hunting section lol
But I finally bought a detector.
I found a Garrett AT pro for $350 never used so I couldn't pass it up.
I've used it 2 times and found 12 cents both times and a hot wheels car from the 80's

I'm going to try and learn the pro mode soon
Any tips?? View attachment 1154773

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Well make sure you get the waterproof head phones!!

I'm still a total rookie. I've taken it out s hand full of times and each time I have found 12 or 13 cents and a little junk.

I seem to dig a lot of holes and turn up nothing? My detector will still be hitting a high tone over the hole.. But can't find anything. Maybe I'm giving up too shallow? I feel like I need to work on my pinpointing maybe? Heck idk
I guess like most things I will just learn with time.

But sadly my area had been hunted to death by all the old timers like my grandfather lol

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my ATP! You guys will learn its language in no time. Remember that persistence beats resistance every time! If you are hearing a faint High tone and seeing nothing on the VDI, it is detecting something deeper than 10". Listen for the whisper tones!
I have learned a ton on this forum! Learn to hunt in Pro mode. If you are a coin hunter set to pro coin and set disc at 39 and sensitivity at 3 under max. Swing low, steady and slow. I started at swinging right to center 1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, then center to left the same to develop a rhythm.
Set a grid pattern; strait ahead overlapping the size of the coil then back.
When you hit on a target; move slow in different directions over the target to pinpoint what you are hearing. (Remember everything is not flat that is buried).
Cut your plug, reveal what your ATP is telling you, remove any trash and recover your plug to make it look as if you were never there.
Have fun and learn by digging every signal. Be patient, persistent and committed and great things will come!
HH!

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'll screen shot that and take notes! Lol I'm going on a coin roll hunting road trip tomorrow'
Maybe I'll find a couple places to detect along the way!

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations I guess we are both in the category of Class 2015. I got my Minelab 305 last week. Let me know your progress.

OP
OP
conleytheking

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been getting out much to hunt. I think I will Wednesday when it's in the 70's here. I'll let you know how I do lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread