Electronic pinpointing question

Ron Merrill

Apr 30, 2015
Kearney, Mo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am researching my first metal detector purchase and ran across a Garrett AT pro with "electronic pinpointing" ... would that pinpointing eliminate the need for a handheld pinpointer ??

AND is it worth the extra money to get a detector that looks to be set up to go deeper and what determines how deep they will work ??

I was looking along the lines of a Garrett ACE 350, with pinpointer ($400) and i saw the AT pro ($600) ... I don't mind spending the extra money if the performance makes that much of a difference, and its one of those things that only an experienced digger would know.

I also noticed that the AT pro could be submersed in 10' of water, is that a safe practice with any detector ??

I appreciate the input and look forward being a part of this group

Upvote 0

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electronic pinpointing is great for roughly determining when you're OVER the target. Pinpointers actually find the target, with a variety of methods. For example, the Garrett pinpointer will beep more rapidly until you're pretty much touching the target at which time it will tone.

When you're out trying to find a signal in a small hole you've dug based on the electronic pinpointing of the coil, you'll find that it's wicked hard to tell WHERE in the hole the target is. Is it in the side walls? How deep? did it end up in the small flap? What about the small lead shot that LOOKS like dirt?

I'm sure others will chime in. YES, you can use electronic pinpointing with the coil to help find objects. Usually this helps you start the process. Once you start digging, you'll find that electronic pinpointing is less effective. You'll end up wiping handsful of dirt over the coil to see if the target is in the handful. (remember not to wear rings!). This method works, and has worked for folks for years. It's slower and more labor intensive.

I LOVE my pinpointer, because it not only will tell me when I'm over a target, it'll identify where in the hole it is, where in the 4"x4" patch of sand it is, and often you can simply wave it over the ground you've electronically pinpointed with your coil to find the exact location you should dig. This is especially useful for coin hunting, or hunting in places where you don't want to disturb the ground much. Often I can pry something that is an inch or so underground without even disturbing the surface. Trying to find an object without the handheld pinpointer just takes longer... And longer times looking for objects, mean less time detecting.

Recovery speed often makes the difference between wildly successful trips, and someone blah trips. The right tools make the difference.

Again. YES, you can get by without a handheld pointer. YES, a handheld pointer speeds the process, makes things easier, and definitely will result in more objects recovered over time.

It's absolutely worth the added expense, in my book!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a hand held pin pointer you can quickly find out that what appears to just be another clump of soil is actually a very good target. Most items that have been in the soil take on the same color as the dirt and also the soil has a tendency to stick to items like coins. In my book the pin pointer is a very necessary tool. Having one makes a great hobby even better.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ron, welcome to T-Net. I have the AT Pro and even though I've been out only a handful of times with it, already I would advise you to get the pinpointer... any pinpointer. It will save you lots of frustration and lost signals in the short run. Over the long run you may become proficient enough to get by without a handheld pinpointer, but that takes quite a bit of practice. Save yourself the aggravation and get a decent pinpointer... I would hate to be without mine.

I also noticed that the AT pro could be submersed in 10' of water, is that a safe practice with any detector ??

Generally speaking - no. The AT Pro is one of the few metal detectors specifically designed to be waterproof. Most others are not.

Cheers,
DW

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most detectors will allow you to submerge the coil and lower shaft, but not the control box/battery case.

A separate handheld pinpointer allows you a little more flexibility in locating the target. Detectors assume a coin size and shape and so can be off inches in pinpointing. With practice you can do pretty well (turn DD coils 90°, lift as you sweep when pinpointing, re-pinpoint with the target just under the coil, etc.)

It's like using a hand-net when fishing. Not necessary but it sure can speed up landing the catch and getting more water covered.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am researching my first metal detector purchase and ran across a Garrett AT pro with "electronic pinpointing" ... would that pinpointing eliminate the need for a handheld pinpointer ??

AND is it worth the extra money to get a detector that looks to be set up to go deeper and what determines how deep they will work ??

I was looking along the lines of a Garrett ACE 350, with pinpointer ($400) and i saw the AT pro ($600) ... I don't mind spending the extra money if the performance makes that much of a difference, and its one of those things that only an experienced digger would know.

I appreciate the input and look forward being a part of this group
Welcome to Tnet! Answering your questions one at a time......No, the pinpointing feature on a standard metal detector doesn't eliminate the need for a separate, dedicated pin pointer. They're not absolutely necessary, but, highly recommended. When you're chasing a stud earring, you'll know what I mean.
Depth and features....Buy the best you can afford. Generally, the better machines go deeper, are more stable, are more adjustable to conditions, and have more features to make detecting easier/less frustrating/more enjoyable.
The "how deep" question gets asked all the time. There is no set answer. It will depend on that particular detector's design, it's circuitry/technology, ground composition, moisture, mineralization, the size and makeup of the target, etc. The higher end machines tend to handle a variety of conditions better than the less expensive models. Only models advertised as being waterproof can be submerged. Most (but not all) other makes and models will have a waterproof coil but, are only submersible up to the control box. Personally, I would not go into the water without a waterproof machine unless it was only ankle deep and only then if I had it tethered so it wouldn't accidentally get dropped into the drink.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have several high end detectors but I find myself now using my at pro with the 5x8 coil(soo much lighter and better in trash)exclusevly.The pro pointer is a must have,cant even imagine hunting without it.welcome and good luck

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey neighbor! I am in Blue Springs. If you might be available in a week and a half or so. I could get with you and let you use both before you spend your money. I work a lot, but have a schedule change coming up. I will send you a PM>

RJGMC
HI BOB!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an AT Pro with a 5x8 coil exclusively, it locates the target very well but the Pin-pointer is a must-have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread