May 1, 2015
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
•’14-‘16 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
•’16-‘19 Tecknetics Delta 4000
•’19-‘current Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently dug this bullet near an old plantation that was also a civil war recruiting station/hospital.

If anyone can tell if its modern or not, or what type of bullet this is please speak your mind.

thank you.

Weight in grams: 12.2

Quarter is to gauge size.

Sneed Bullet Front.jpg
Front

Sneed Bullet Back.jpg
Back

Upvote 0

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, I don't think the oxidation is enough to be Civil War period. Every bullet I've ever seen from that timeframe is typically white. I could be totally wrong on this, though. Definitely has the miniball type characteristics, though, so I can see the question as valid. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless it was in an area that is generally wet or underwater im with skippy. Of course if it werent fired or as smushed you would be able to tell by the shape of the head of the bullet.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Modern. It appears to be a hollow based swaged bullet. 1890s to present. The canelures don't appear on cast bullets.

12.2 grams = 188 grains.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread