There was an old cabin that burned on property we bought should I detect?

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used our cheapo metal detector to do anything, but find nails after a construction project. But, we have some acerage that we plan to sluice and pan the creeks, Also on the property is a homesite where a cabin from the 1800's stood, but it burned over a decade ago. The older couple who owned it's children just knocked down what little remained letting mother nature reclaim whatever was there. My question is: I have a cheap detector and think it might be neat to search through the remains, but would an old house that didn't even have indoor plumbing, and lived in by poor mountain folks be a good place to look, or would it likely be a waste of time. i.e just old nails, tin cans and such? What would a seasoned MD'r do? This place was lived in until the mid-eighties I've found strange piles of old tin cans, tons of old bottles, and haven't even looked at the homesite yet. (why would people save empty tin cans?) I fear that it will be a crazy mess since they seemed to save everything including trash. Trying to decide if I should get the dozers in to clear the land better or hunt for relics at the site first.

Upvote 0

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
A better question would be, why should you NOT detect it?

If you run a dozer over it, stuff will get pushed down, stuff will get pushed up, and stuff will get pushed off. Think of it as shuffling a deck of cards. If you're already thinking of bulldozing it, I'd recommend going over the area once or twice first. No sense in shuffling the deck if you haven't already gone through it at least once, right?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe they used the tin cans to hide stuff in! I'd carefully go over the site as others have suggested! You never know what you may find.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes hunt it but don't get discouraged by the trash you'll probably dig. We all dig more trash than treasure but when you find treasure it makes you somehow forget the trash.
Floristweb check your PM

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The piles of cans and bottles are not strange. Many people fed food scarps to livestock and pets, burned the rest, Cans and glass do not burn so they had trash piles like everyone did back in the day. I would hit 2 spots 1st. Around the outhouse and from the outhouse to the cabin. Also if you knew where their clothes line was. I hit it. In my opinion I would not hit where the structure stood. Too many signals due to nails, wiring and plumbing. The 4th zone would be around the driveway. Then I'd take my time and do the rest of the yard.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since you have such a prime spot to detect, it would be an idea to upgrade your detector, if you can, just might be worth your while.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hunt the place good! I'd start by clearing away all the surface/visible trash. Then run a strong magnet through the cabin footprint. Detect and dig everything non-ferrous to start. If you find good targets, then dig even the iron ones. I'd carefully (so you don't break any glass) dig and sift the privy area.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hunt it HEAVILY!
Try to determine front and back door areas, which have higher probability
of goodies, and perhaps the outhouse locations too.
I'd dig and screen an outhouse, since coinage and jewelry are possible, not to mention BOTTLES!
How do you know you are in these areas? the better relics show up, and even glass
shards are common in vicinity of outhouses.
...any place where people spent time.....

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
google screen sifter...u can make one for about 5 bucks and you will get every thing there.When you find a piece of molten metal at a burn site keep it and if its goldish or silverish have it tested or hit amazon and get a test kit.Detecting a place like that can test the skills of a veteran hunter with high end equipment.

good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions