Worth it to upgrade my coil??

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to get some opinions here. Right now I'm using a Titan 1000XD, which is a re-branded Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100. It came with a 7" coil. Since most of the sites I currently have access to have had a lot of dirt moving, I'm interested in increasing my depth. Plus, I think my coil may have a small issues, as when I put the sensitivity to the max, it falses with movement - take it down a notch (to 80%) and it is fine. So I know I'm losing some depth there, plus the limit placed by a 7" coil.

Long term, I want to upgrade to a Whites XLT or a Minelab X-Terra 30 (if I can ever find one for sale). But right now money is tight and I can't justify spending that much on a new machine. So I got to thinking about putting a new, larger coil on my machine to get some more depth. I can get a 10" coil for $50 (which is what I paid for the machine initially), and I think I can get away with spending that right now. Would it be worth it, or should I just continue to save for a better over-all machine?

Upvote 0

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gut says to not spend money on it and save for the machine you want, on the other hand $50 is reasonable enough to try it out for a season, since you bought the machine cheap, you may be able to recover most of your costs if you sell it.

That being said, the BH1100 does not inspire a lot of confidence, I find it a strange (feeling) machine to use, no offense of course.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would favor a machine with a 8 x 11 ish elliptical DD coil , If your definitely serious about detecting, what is your time worth ?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Discovery 2200 i purchased for $65.00 and bought the Magnum 10" coil for it for $30.00. This along with a Compadre are my Trunk detectors as i don't worry much what happens to them but perform reasonably. My Discovery 2200 air tests to 7" on a quarter, nickel and 6" on a dime with the 8" coil at max sens in disc mode. With the 10" coil i gained 1.25"-1.5" of depth and increased coverage, to some this increase is not worth it to others it is a nice increase. If you can find an upgrade coil for a bit less than $50.00 by all means try it. Any more than this and i recommend you save, the biggest problem with the Bounty Hunter Elite 1000 to 3300 is the recovery speed, they are slow. As a result you'll miss good targets in heavy trash due to masking.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gut says to not spend money on it and save for the machine you want... That being said, the BH1100 does not inspire a lot of confidence, I find it a strange (feeling) machine to use, no offense of course.

That's kinda of what I'm leaning towards, since the coil only solves my depth issue, not the lack of control/settings issue. And I can't really speak to how it feels, as it and a Tracker IV are all I've ever used.

If your definitely serious about detecting, what is your time worth ?

Sadly at the moment, not much... I have a fair amount of time, and very little money.

...the biggest problem with the Bounty Hunter Elite 1000 to 3300 is the recovery speed, they are slow...

I guess I hadn't ever realized it, but now that you mention it, it is pretty slow... one more reason to save up and get the machine that I really want... Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread