ItsSawGood

Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
West By Gawd Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I asked this last year, but I'll ask again....

What do you all do to obtain permission to hunt on private property? Are the owners coworkers or people otherwise known to you or you try to "pull strings"? Do you see a structure and spend the time researching it through GIS sites to contact the owner? Walk up on strangers' porches and simply ask? Ask in social media or take out ads in classifieds?

People seem to be generally more hateful and distrustful nowadays. Whereas I would have no worries in the 1970s asking a farmer for permission to hunt his fields, even rabbit hunt with a shotgun on his property, the thought of walking on anyone's porch and asking to poke around an abandoned house nearby makes me pucker.

I'm fresh out of ideas....for me getting somewhere to hunt without worry of owners' buckshot (I'm in WV, buckshot is plentiful) or 5-0, is a serious obstacle. The municipal parks all have the digging and "grass shall not be disturbed" clauses in the park ordinances, state/federal parks are no-no's with archaeological clauses. Abandoned schools seemed to be owned by non profit organizations who don't answer your calls or respond to your FB posts.

Just frustrated. This is more of a rant as I got turned down again last week.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It-saw-good, A few tips: Always better to catch the person outside, in-person. Rather than cold call on the phone, or to have sent a letter, etc.... And once you've "caught them on their porch" (so to speak),

a) you tell them how you're "doing research" on such & such that occurred there. Note: This may be harder to morph if you're talking normal urban yards. But is fitting if you're at a stage stop location in the country, for instance.

b) You have a few items with you, like a buffalo nickel, a merc, a few wheaties, etc... that you "found down the street at a similar old yard like this one". That immediately puts a "face" on the request, so-to-speak.

c) It's very helpful if you are plugged in to local historical societies, museums, etc... as a volunteer. Because to merely say "I'm a docent at such & such museum, doing research for the 4th grade class tours that come through our doors, and ... blah blah". All the while you're showing them your name-badge from the museum.

Post-script: I do not consider the "disturbing the grass" verbage to necessarily equate to "no metal detecting". Because there isn't a piece of public land anywhere in the entire USA, that doesn't have something similar like "alter", or "disturb", or "deface", etc.... Yup, even places that are routinely detected. If you leave no trace of your presence, the you haven't alterED or disturbED anything, now have you ? Just avoid those persons who might object, by picking better times when kill-joy busy-bodies are not present.

Last edited:

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes actually I just walk up introduce myself and tell them I metal detect for old coins etc and ask for permission. The answer is ALWAYS no if you don't ask. I hear No sometimes but I hear Yes more often. Don't take no personally just move on to the next property.

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually just ask for permission. In person is best. I'l park on the road, never in the driveway. I'l Leave the detector in the car. Ring or knock and don't forget to smile! Introduce yourself with first and last name. I also tell what area i live in. Its actually pretty simple. Just say you have a huge passion for metal detecting and finding old coins and items with history and your property really caught my eye. So i was just wondering if you'd mind, if i tried detecting around your property? Remember, keep smiling and keep it simple. I figure i get at least a 70% go ahead rate. Most farmers and country folk are pretty cool! Least in ontario...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes actually I just walk up introduce myself and tell them I metal detect for old coins etc and ask for permission. The answer is ALWAYS no if you don't ask. I hear No sometimes but I hear Yes more often. Don't take no personally just move on to the next property.

You need to learn some salesmanship. Chit chat for a while, ask them about what they are doing and after a few minutes you might want to ask.. Get acquainted before you ask. I have the same issue here where I live. Being that I spent 27 years in the service, I am am not well know in the town where I reside. I even offer to do a little labor for them in order to hunt. Maybe if they are stacking wood I'd offer to help them do that and when we were done, I would then ask for permission. Quid-Pro-Quo.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I'l Leave the detector in the car.....

I always found it better to have the detector in hand. Slung down at your side. So that your request has an immediate mental picture , of what it is you're talking about.

OP
OP
I

ItsSawGood

Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
West By Gawd Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good News, my string of bad luck took a turn for the better. I did a little research of who owned an abandoned coal company store (that is still standing today) location and found a mutual acquaintance. He asked permission for me and I got it. Even if I didn't get permission, I seriously doubt I'd be bothered there. No one cares about that area, guys go waltzing across the property all the time as it is flanked on one side by a trout stream. On the other side is a vast open stretch of green grass and RR tracks which bring out the ATVers. Across from the tracks and in-line with the store's door is a road that is abandoned, being consumed by Mother Nature. I'm thinking I have a lot of potential here and a good hunting ground that'll last me a while. These company stores were the social center of these coal towns back in the early 1900s. I don't know if anyone has ever searched it before. Unfortunately a large majority of the store is covered by a cement parking lot that is being taken by Mother Nature as well. I will check it out on Friday! Need to get a few backyard reps and practice time in with my new 705 before then.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the best ways to break the ice is to compliment something the person takes pride in, and you can usually tell within moments of walking on the property. For instance if a guy has antlers on the garage ask him where he shot the buck, if a guy has an old collector car in the driveway compliment the car and say you can see he has put a lot of time into it, if you see playground/kid stuff, start yapping about kids, a lot of times if you are successful in building a "quick" relationship or trust they will also point you to their buddies house, or tell you the old school building used to be on the farm they own in the sticks. If a good looking girl answers the door I just give them a quick wink and I am IN:laughing7::tongue3::laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good News, my string of bad luck took a turn for the better. I did a little research of who owned an abandoned coal company store (that is still standing today) location and found a mutual acquaintance. He asked permission for me and I got it. Even if I didn't get permission, I seriously doubt I'd be bothered there. No one cares about that area, guys go waltzing across the property all the time as it is flanked on one side by a trout stream. On the other side is a vast open stretch of green grass and RR tracks which bring out the ATVers. Across from the tracks and in-line with the store's door is a road that is abandoned, being consumed by Mother Nature. I'm thinking I have a lot of potential here and a good hunting ground that'll last me a while. These company stores were the social center of these coal towns back in the early 1900s. I don't know if anyone has ever searched it before. Unfortunately a large majority of the store is covered by a cement parking lot that is being taken by Mother Nature as well. I will check it out on Friday! Need to get a few backyard reps and practice time in with my new 705 before then.

Well, you didn't quit.
Networking seemed to be what worked.
If you do business with someone let them know you detect and ask if they know any old homesites/foundations and who owns them you could hit.
Same with folks who hunt. They find old pottery,glass,bricks, chimneys and stonework sometimes.
Barbershop talk, ect.. If you hit a yardsale or home sale you're in touch with folks...
Anyone takes your money just about,within reason.
If dealing with buckshot folks ,catching them in public/neutral territory might work. Not as easy and normally I'd say knock on doors till you get a yes.
Not where getting to the door is risky though.

Have fun at the company store. Tough customers there at one time. Had to be around all that buckshot and coal dust.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully the creek doesn't turn up a bunch of lead weights; I know that feeling :p

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you got a good lined up. I 've up in the mtns trout fishing all week. Got nice 4lb rainbow. The old company store should get you some good tokens. Dig everything it will get you right in line with what you machine is telling you.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A week ago I found 2 LC's including an 1802 draped bust, a 1786 Vermont landscape copper, a number of Indians and some silver in yards where I obtained permission. The first yard was a place I heard we might be able to get permission. Knocked on the door and an elderly woman came. We explained what we do and her reply was "there were already a couple of guys there that morning detecting!" Talk about competition. She still allowed us to detect as we figure were better at it than anyone around anyway. Between us we came up with 4 KG II's, 4 LC's, a draped bust half cent and about a half dozen pieces of silver as well as a number of Indians. Went down the road to another old house a few days later. Owners said they had seen us detecting down the street and gave permission. Didn't find as much as we didn't have time, but I did find my first Vermont landscape, as well as an LC, Indians, a little silver and more.

My experience tells me a couple of things. First, if you can find someone that is out in their yard it is a BIG plus. People don't feel like you're invading their privacy if you come up to them in their yard. Be neat and clean in your appearance. Doesn't mean you can't be in a flannel shirt and jeans as I was at the last couple of permissions. Be very polite and appreciative. Ask the owner a bit about the age of the house if you don't know. If you do get permission, be super neat in your digging so nobody will ever know you have been there. Don't be afraid to ask the owner if they know anyone with an old house in the area. When going to nearby homes don't be afraid to mention the name of the first home you had permission to hunt.

I've certainly knocked on a few doors and got turned down for many different reasons. Don't give up. Sometimes you get a no at first, but the people are not unfriendly. If you keep talking about their house, neighborhood or whatever they may change their mind during the conversation. As a former VP of our local 9,000 member Board of Realtors I'm pretty good at talking to people, but I still do get people who say no. Just move on to the next property until you succeed.

Good luck.

OP
OP
I

ItsSawGood

Greenie
Sep 27, 2014
West By Gawd Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you got a good lined up. I 've up in the mtns trout fishing all week. Got nice 4lb rainbow. The old company store should get you some good tokens. Dig everything it will get you right in line with what you machine is telling you.

Hey Hilljack......there is another coal camp, 40+ acres big with 4-5 buildings still standing and another 4-5 where you can see the foundations of where things once were. This is owned by Sen Manchin himself. I think I will email him through his senatorial email address for permission. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread