Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet! Practice in your yard, swing low and parallel to the ground and know that pull tabs sound and ID as
a good target.
Best of luck and congrats on your new machine!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I switched with a buddy once on a hunt and used one for awhile.
Good machine, but like most Minelabs here is the best tip I can give you with my limited experience...
Swing slow...this is not a super fast machine and you need to give it time to acquire targets and the correct swing speed is paramount.
I use faster units because I am a naturally fast swinger but even with those when I finally forced myself to slow down I started to find way more.
Learning good habits from the beginning is way easier than attempting to relearn them later.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a penny, nickle, dime, quarter, nail, pulltab and ring on the ground about a foot apart. Go over each target and listen for diff. tones and watch your screen. This is a good start--------Good luck :thumbsup:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I am a rookie to metal detecting. Today I purchased a Minelab Xterra 305 and a Garrett Pro Pinpointer. Awaiting my NYC permit to arrive in the mail. I will be trying to familiarize myself with the machine in the meantime. Any words of wisdom from you experienced guys?

I'v been detecting for several years and still feel like a rooky. There is always more to learn. Where do you plan on going for your first hunt? Best of luck to you. Have fun learning your nachine.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all. Just getting going and need a jump start.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
practice practice pratice.. even the big guys make mistakes with this machine due to its rapid return rate.. I have seen so many youtube videos where they had multible targets and gave up after the iron in the hole without rescanning ... ohh and always recheck your holes :)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welcome and...err ummm Im just upping my count to catch jeff of pa....but mostly...welcome.Oh ya...what they said

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck with it! And excuse my ignorance but what's a "NYC permit" for? Does it allow you to dig in certain parks or construction sites?

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes NYC requires a permit for any public park or beach in NYC. It is FREE. Just send a small application and a copy of a photo ID.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet! Good luck with that! Glad to know that MD permits do exist. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread