E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
In the Shadow of Mt St Helens
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. I was recently in our local sporting goods store with my 10 year old and she came across the metal detectors. They had to have made some kind of impression on her because she wont stop talking about them. I have decided it would be a fun hobby for the two of us so I've been researching detectors. With all of the different options and features, coils, frequencies, etc I have more questions than when I started! I am hoping to get a little advice from people with knowledge of all these things.

We go to the beach quite a bit so a lot of our treasure hunting will take place in the sand. I would also be interested in searching the shores of our local rivers which vary between sand, rock, and dirt depending on the river. For our first detector I am looking to spend around $300.

I thought I was set on the Minelab X-terra 305 but this seems to be an older model and I'm wondering if there is something more current that would be a better option for us. Another that interested me is the Fisher F44 although I can't find any reviews on it.

Any advice whether it be a specific detector or just a feature to look for would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you might have been at Bass Pro Shop, they mostly carry cheap Bounty Hunters and some Minelabs. At the beach in the dry sand, any single freq. detector will work well. For wet saltwater sand you'll have to add $$$$$$ for best results as the single freq units will sound off when nothing is there. I wouldn't waste $ on detectors with a screen as those can show a pull tab and so you pass it by and the guy behind you scoops it to find a nice gold ring. Tesoro's are great detectors with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah we will likely stay in the dry sand. We were at a local place called The Sportsman's Warehouse but they did have the Bounty Hunter detectors.

Would the Tesoro's be a good choice for a beginner? I feel like I would have an easier time learning what to dig based on a numeric value rather than the tone. Especially since this will be an occasional hobby.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah we will likely stay in the dry sand. We were at a local place called The Sportsman's Warehouse but they did have the Bounty Hunter detectors.

Would the Tesoro's be a good choice for a beginner? I feel like I would have an easier time learning what to dig based on a numeric value rather than the tone. Especially since this will be an occasional hobby.

Tesoros are great detectors, i started out with a Compadre and got hooked. After a very simple mod this detector will find coins 9" below the ground here in my soil. Tesoro metal detectors are very fast detectors able to find good targets in iron trash. The longer you are in this hobby the more you'll recognize that sound is far more important than target ID, target ID is simply a supplement to sound. Many things will change the target ID of an object, mineralization, depth of the object, concentration of moisture, target angle, composition of the soil and volume...... Target ID alone is by no means the best way to metal detect. After the Compadre i moved up to a Teknetics Delta 4000 and this detector proved to be even better for me than the Compadre. However i still relied on sound and target ID only for shallow objects 4-6". Even very expensive machines have accuracy problems with target ID at depth. Buy a fast,moderate depth detector of good quality, Tesoro, Teknetics, Fisher, Whites, Garrett. By the way i still have my Compadre as a backup and trunk queen :laughing7:

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The latest Minelab Go Finds look like they may be a good choice for children as it can be adjusted to their size.
There are three models of the Go Find: the Go Find 20, 40, and the 60. Although the 60 isn't out yet.
See them at the minelab website.
They do have a nice display and would be easy to stow in the vehicle!
But they have not been out very long so real world testing hasn't been done yet!

Best of Luck!

bulrush

Mar 13, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which ever detector you get you will have to practice with it and pay attention to what it does, when you find valuables vs junk. My Ace 350 has different tones for iron, junk, and coins. If I wave the MD both ways several times and a coin "ping" happens in each direction, and the signal is repeatable, it's very likely a coin.

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300 per person.. or 300 for 2 people to get gear? Big difference!

At 300 dollars even for one person you will not get a waterproof detector, but you can find some that the coil can be submerged just not the control box. Also you will want a Shovel, and if beach hunting a sand scoop, and possibly a trowel. let us not forget some sort of pinpointer (trust me on this it will save you lots of time once your hole is dug and a definite must have). Oh and do not forget you need a finds bag of some sort...

So 300 hundred is going to be a very tight budget. There are some post on here like how to make a sand scoop for 10 dollars and such

Eurotek Pro with 8 inch concentric coil $219.00
Garrett pro pointer $130.00
Shovel home depot $5.00
Trowel home depot $5.00
Finds bag, home depot garden waist bag $5.00

Already at $365.. and we do not have a sand scoop yet..

then you can look at bundle deals like
http://www.amazon.com/Teknetics-Eurotek-Metal-Detector-PinPointer/dp/B00PJ56D0W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431370456&sr=8-2&keywords=Eurotek+Pro for $239.00 but the pinpointer is very cheep..
So I would get the detector separate and and a decent pinpointer, and search on here for cheep find bags.. or cheep shovels.. or how to make .. etc ...

But all in all its what you can afford in the end. although you get what you pay for... so I would spend the money on a good low end detector.. a greaet pinpointer.. no need to spend $150.00 on a fantastic shovel, when you can get a shovel for $5.00 to start ...

The Raven $135.00 :)

OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300 on a detector we can share for now! If this is something we really get into we can purchase another down the road.

Also I can come up with a shovel, trowel and bag of some sort.

How do the pointers work? If we were digging in soft sand to start.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Compadre | Lost Treasure Online - Official Website of Lost Treasure Magazine Field test on Tesoro's Compadre.

http://www.tesoro.com/product/detectors/silvermicromax/ Tesoro's Silver Umax $299.00

Pinpointers aren't necessary even in the grass as many of us use a screw driver to pop the coin out. You can get one later if you like. In sand any sifting scoop will work, one with a long handle will save the back. A 2 pocket nail apron for a trash and goodie pocket will work. Since you will find more jewelry by scooping everything, a screen isn't useful nor accurate ID. 057.gif

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've owned Garrett, Fisher, Whites, Minelab, and Tesoro, as well as several cheap Bounty Hunters 30 years ago.

I will throw this in. Tesoro makes darned good and solid detectors. I've not owned or used the Compadre, but good companies continue to do good work. So if Tesoro is the direction you decide to take, you'll be okay.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never needed or used a pinpointer at the beach. I find it's not necessary for beach sand but is a definite need for ground/soil conditions. You will need a good (hopefully long handled) sand scoop for the beach.
I too, love my Eurotek Pro but I'm not sure how small it will adjust down to. The Eurotek Pro with 11" coil is $299 and I suggest the 11" coil as it will cover the sand much better that the 8" coil and possibly get you a little more depth.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sub $300 huh? Tesoro's are good, but I would never recommend one to a 10 year old. Voice phones are gone. Everyone wants a display of info with their phones. The Minelab Go Find 40 appears to be perfect for your situation. Once you decide it's for you, you can trade up, or sell. Smartphone app. Bluetooth. Easy, light, compact, informative. They are just coming out, so no one has used one. But it seems like it was made for situations like yours. There are videos on it. So I'm with RustyGold on this one.

Edit: Sorry Sandman. Didn't mean to step on your toes. I just reread the thread and saw you suggested Tesoro. I "respectfully" disagree because of what I mentioned. But I may be wrong for the first time this year.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I imagine we will both be using it.

Call me crazy but I am likening this to crabbing. She LOVES going crabbing with me. As I'm pulling pots up she is hanging over the edge of the boat to see what in them. My guess is if I find a target she will be the one digging to see what it is.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could get two Tesoro Compadres for $320 and each have a great, easy to use machine. Then you can compete and believe me she will out find you every day. If you get a machine with a screen, you will miss good stuff because your screen says it is junk. I would get the 8 inch coil. My daughter used mine when she moved back home after college. When she moved out, it went with her. I've got to get another one even though I have a Tejon, Sand Shark and a Nautilus DMC2B. You won't be sorry with a compadre. If later, you decide to upgrade, you can still get most of your money back. Another big Tesoro point is the LIFETIME Warranty. Nobody else has that.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I imagine we will both be using it.

Call me crazy but I am likening this to crabbing. She LOVES going crabbing with me. As I'm pulling pots up she is hanging over the edge of the boat to see what in them. My guess is if I find a target she will be the one digging to see what it is.

Wow. Brings back memories. Our crab traps were a boxed cage that you dropped down and the 4 sides opened up. Once the crabs hung around the chicken neck tied in the middle of the floor, you came back and pulled up the trap closing the sides up. Like her, I used to watch the water for the cage to see how many crabs each trap got, I wouldn't even eat crab until I was 21. Just liked watching them.:dontknow:

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is a eurotek pro for around $200 and get a deteknix x-pointer pin pointer for about $90. You would be set with an easy to use detector that will adjust small if needed. My 9 year old uses one and I have taken the middle rod section out for my 7 year old daughter to use. Been a really good combination for us. May not need the pointer for beach hunting but they sure are nice in dirt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a White's Classic ID I'd sell for $160 free shipping. I'll even throw in a pair of headphones free. If you'd like I have a bounty hunter pinpointer (paid $42) will let you have it for $20. The detector will come with a spare battery tray and manual.

PM me if your interested.

OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'm probably going to go with the Tesoro. I am in no hurry though so I might wait and see what people think of the fisher F44 in a week or so.

OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is a eurotek pro for around $200 and get a deteknix x-pointer pin pointer for about $90. You would be set with an easy to use detector that will adjust small if needed. My 9 year old uses one and I have taken the middle rod section out for my 7 year old daughter to use. Been a really good combination for us. May not need the pointer for beach hunting but they sure are nice in dirt.

I just looked at this, I found it for $219 with the 8" concentric coil or $299 with the 11" DD coil. What is the difference between these coils?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions