zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's family has property in Norwich Connecticut. I read on the Internet that Norwich bans metal detecting within their City. Does anyone know if that ban can also cover your own Private Property. I figured I would ask here before I call City Hall and get a huge run around. Can City bans limit you from hunting on your own property?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever you do don't call and ask! You might open a can of worms that didn't need to be opened in the first place. If it's your property just detect it. If someone asks you what your looking for, your looking for the ring your wife lost:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's why I asked here first.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The city can not ban you from looking on your own property. Tear it up!

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what I thought.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't believe everything I read on the internet about detecting bans either. You should be able to look up the laws yourself regarding a particular piece of land. As mentioned, asking bureaucrats can do more harm than good. Private land, get permission and go for it!

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in the Norwich Government Website. It says no metal detecting with City limits. But I will be on Private Property.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Randy

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zman, I've detected Norwich a few times. On private property and town property. My oldest silver is a 1900 barber dime from Norwich. I've never been stopped and I don't see how anyone could prevent you from detecting a new permission. Maybe the town green near McDonalds, but I've heard that spot has been hammered as well. Don't worry about it. I doubt any of the cops have even heard of such a thing.
Lots and lots of old houses in Norwich. Have fun.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Zman, I've detected Norwich a few times. On private property and town property.....

Oh my goodness gracious. And you come on a public forum admitting to such ? Did you know prior to this post that you were in violation ? Or is this now new news to you ? And in any case, you say:

.... I've never been stopped .....
Ahhh, but someone will say "you've just been lucky so far !" I suppose :) And then you conclude:

..... Don't worry about it. I doubt any of the cops have even heard of such a thing.....
Oh me oh my, heaven forbid ! Gasp. Most certainly they hide behind every tree waiting to jump out ! They are drilled daily and can recite that chapter and verse, and most-certainly-care ! It is our duty to hunt down such minutia (no matter how old and unknown to anyone else), wave it around asking "can I detect?" before proceeding eh ? Because if it's true that "no one cares", well , gee .... as I say, perhaps you've "just been lucky" all this time ? (I hope you can tell I'm being a bit facetious here :hello: )

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here is one of the places I got that info:

Metal Detecting Law in Connecticut

The city website for that city, lists their entire municipal codes, laws, rules, etc.... Here it is:

https://www.municode.com/library/ct/norwich/codes/code_of_ordinances

Use the search bar @ the upper right and type in "metal". That'll bring up the particular code in question. It appears to only apply to a few select parks. And apparently not "all city land" or "all the parks" (hence schools, and other forms of city land, and all private property would be outside that discussion). Fine then: avoid *just* those couple of parks, and presto, you're in compliance.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You So Much.

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission.
Just sayin.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the laugh Tom_in_CA, made my day.
Maybe i'm just a rebel...living life on the edge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread