Importance of a waterproof detector.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out this weekend doing my usual weekend beach hunts with my DFX and Nokta on hand with my dad.All was great till a storm rolled in from the ocean. The winds usually blow inland at a good 25MPH and in the dead of night with starless cloudy nights often times one cannot see storms rolling in. The only tell tell sign are the cloud to cloud lighting and sprites, which are at times a bit feeble to judge at distance. All i felt was a light drizzle on my arm. Suddenly it began, a cloud with a good 30 mph ground speed moved drenching me, my dad was much closer to the condo and took shelter with the Core. Needless to say my DFX got soaked baggie and all over the display and housing. In the rush to run towards the condo i forgot to power off the DFX, the display took the first hit by flickering. I proceeded to open the DFX and remove the battery in the rain before causing massive shorts. Luckily it was rainwater, i dismantled the DFX and air-dried all the electronics with a blow drier and checked electrical tolerances with a multi-tester. Needless to say im glad some manufacturers are getting with the program in this respect and are weather proofing their machines, while others still don't get it. I don't see the logic in designing a high end detector and omitting some cheap basic O-Rings. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the problem, like you said at least its fresh water so drying it out should be enough.

I understand where your coming from, but It isn't just a matter of an o-ring, you have the the edges of unit, speaker knobs and the headphone jacks to deal with too.......Detector basically needs to be IP 64-65 rated at the least.........

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why you have the CZ isn't it? :laughing7:

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the problem, like you said at least its fresh water so drying it out should be enough.

I understand where your coming from, but It isn't just a matter of an o-ring, you have the the edges of unit, speaker knobs and the headphone jacks to deal with too.......Detector basically needs to be IP 64-65 rated at the least.........

DFX and many units like these have no knobs or buttons, simply a speaker opening and membrane based touch-pads. All very easy to weatherproof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why you have the CZ isn't it? :laughing7:

I love the CZ-20, but i love the ID capabilities and graph shown by the DFX more. Along with the tones available i get much more information, especially when dry sand hunting where garbage abounds. In the water my CZ-20, and BHID rule.:occasion14:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the CZ-20, but i love the ID capabilities and graph shown by the DFX more. Along with the tones available i get much more information, especially when dry sand hunting where garbage abounds. In the water my CZ-20, and BHID rule.:occasion14:
Not saying can't be done, I would love it, but if it was that simple don't you think one of the major manufactures would have done so a long time ago to give them a step above their competitors.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
When I bought my DFX, I bought a raincoat for it on ebay. It's made out of some type of canvas material. Great fit and looks good. I never take it off except for cleaning. I'm glad you were able to rescue your DFX. On a good note if you needed to replace it they seem to keep doping in price. I also love the DFX for dry and wet sand.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a sandwich bag in my pocket. If i get caught in the rain (which I have been almost every day here in Florida lately) I slip the bag over the main unit and keep going. No problems so far it fits pretty snug. I'll get a real cover eventually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread