Newbie question

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I noticed the start of a sewer project a couple of miles from me. There were huge piles of excavated dirt staged at one end of the site. So today I loaded up my equipment and pedaled over to see if I could find anything.
At one point I got a really solid tone (descriminate mode set at the nickel setting)A few inches down and the pinpointer was screaming a solid tone. Then NOTHING!?? I picked up the detector again and checked all around the area and still nothing.
The next good tone I got I made sure none of the displaced dirt trickled down the side of the pile as I poked around, and the same thing happened. First I had a target, then after I disirbed the dirt it was gone.
After this happened several more times I just gave up. I went to a near by park just to test my detector and all was normal. I found some clad and a few pull tops.
I'm not a total newbie, but for the life of me I can't figure out what was happening!
Any ideas?
Thanks

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sometimes when an old iron object is decomposed there is a halo left behind of metal particulate.when directly disturbed it is broken up into unreadable mass.not saying it happened that way but it does explain many targets that disappear after disturbance

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have mans the object stand up or in different way in which the detecter could not read. I suggest you read Charlie's garret book called NEW COIN SUCCESSFUL COIN HUNTING

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry meant Charles

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
honey-man, a question like this is this is hard for anyone here deduce what was going on. Because what you're describing is sound-specific. And no amount of printed text can ever convey sound. In the same way I can't describe to you the sound of C-major in printed text. It can only be heard.

Thus anytime someone talks of "disappearing signals", the really truly only way someone else is going to be able to diagnose it, is to be there to a) see what you're doing [how you're swinging, etc...], b) what you're hearing [there's the "sound" aspect], and c) variables like repeatability, x-ing the spot correctly, etc...

Let me give you an example (and don't get "lost in the example"): A guy on-line was complaining about "disappearing signals". A few people made feeble attempts to diagnose it in printed text. But to no avail. With all different settings, pinpointers, etc.., he still had "disappearing signals". Turns out this fellow is only 45 miles from me. So I agreed to meet up with this stranger (who is now a friend), to see if I could help.

In 30 seconds I immediately figured out his problem. And it was something that there would have been no way to figure it out, w/o being there in person. He had an XLT, which ...... as old-timers may recall, is a very fast motion detector. Each time he'd hear a signal, he'd "slow down to hear it better". Well as can be expected, when he'd slow the coil down to a crawl to "hear it better", the sounds (the deeper ones anyhow) would disappear!

The poor fellow had sent the machine back to the factory 2x for "repairs". And each time they'd sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. They insinuated/hinted to him that he "must be operating it wrong". The guy was fit-to-be-tied with anger, because he had read the manual through 3 times !!

When I pointed out to him his erroneous way of operating it, the light finally dawned! Later, when I asked him: "Hey, I thought you said you read the manual 3 times. Didn't you see the part about 'motion required' ?". To which he said "Yes. But I thought that just meant swinging from side to side, progressing/walking through the field. And I had thought 'gee that's a silly instruction. HOW ELSE is someone supposed to get any detecting done, unless they're progressing/walking/swinging the coil? So why even need to tell persons to 'move the coil' ? "

So too does yours sound like something where someone would have to be there (preferably with the same machine as you use), to compare in any such place where these "disappearing signals" occur. Watch how they swing. See how they isolate. Pay attention to what they're passing versus what they're chasing. Trade off flagged signals. Don't be afraid to ask "why or why not that signal?" etc...

I can give you many more stories like this, where the silliest of embarassing things (steel toed boots, guy wearing a wedding ring, etc.. blah blah) were the culprits. So try to hook up with someone in your area.

Last edited:

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had this happen the detector likes it when its in the original dirt then you disturb it and it disappears. Two reasons 1 your disc is too high if that happens again lower disc all the way down ..your notching it out when halo disappears 2 . its really small again lower disc it should resolve cuter problems besides what is nickel range anyway? Shields are 64 , buffs are 55 wars are 68 remember for every 20% you go up on disc your machine looses about 1" of depth

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
honey-man, a question like this is this is hard for anyone here deduce what was going on. Because what you're describing is sound-specific. And no amount of printed text can ever convey sound. In the same way I can't describe to you the sound of C-major in printed text. It can only be heard.

Thus anytime someone talks of "disappearing signals", the really truly only way someone else is going to be able to diagnose it, is to be there to a) see what you're doing [how you're swinging, etc...], b) what you're hearing [there's the "sound" aspect], and c) variables like repeatability, x-ing the spot correctly, etc...

Let me give you an example (and don't get "lost in the example"): A guy on-line was complaining about "disappearing signals". A few people made feeble attempts to diagnose it in printed text. But to no avail. With all different settings, pinpointers, etc.., he still had "disappearing signals". Turns out this fellow is only 45 miles from me. So I agreed to meet up with this stranger (who is now a friend), to see if I could help.

In 30 seconds I immediately figured out his problem. And it was something that there would have been no way to figure it out, w/o being there in person. He had an XLT, which ...... as old-timers may recall, is a very fast motion detector. Each time he'd hear a signal, he'd "slow down to hear it better". Well as can be expected, when he'd slow the coil down to a crawl to "hear it better", the sounds (the deeper ones anyhow) would disappear!

The poor fellow had sent the machine back to the factory 2x for "repairs". And each time they'd sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it. They insinuated/hinted to him that he "must be operating it wrong". The guy was fit-to-be-tied with anger, because he had read the manual through 3 times !!

When I pointed out to him his erroneous way of operating it, the light finally dawned! Later, when I asked him: "Hey, I thought you said you read the manual 3 times. Didn't you see the part about 'motion required' ?". To which he said "Yes. But I thought that just meant swinging from side to side, progressing/walking through the field. And I had thought 'gee that's a silly instruction. HOW ELSE is someone supposed to get any detecting done, unless they're progressing/walking/swinging the coil? So why even need to tell persons to 'move the coil' ? "

So too does yours sound like something where someone would have to be there (preferably with the same machine as you use), to compare in any such place where these "disappearing signals" occur. Watch how they swing. See how they isolate. Pay attention to what they're passing versus what they're chasing. Trade off flagged signals. Don't be afraid to ask "why or why not that signal?" etc...

I can give you many more stories like this, where the silliest of embarassing things (steel toed boots, guy wearing a wedding ring, etc.. blah blah) were the culprits. So try to hook up with someone in your area.

Excellent advice!

OP
OP
H

Honeyman

Apr 5, 2015
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thaks for all the great advice! I still have a lot to learn. I wish I could hook up with a "seasoned" detectorist in Northern Ohio for an apprenticship and partnership! Until then I'll keep reading this forum and plugging away on my own! This weekend my brother-in-law gave me permission to hunt his 4 acre lot that used to be farm field before they built their home on it. Practice, practice, practice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread