Ticks Ticks Ticks!!!! They are bad this year! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Ticks Ticks Ticks!!!! They are bad this year!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Just another Guy In Back

Feb 2007
    North Central Florida
    CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
    8526 times
    Fire Nugget Club Member, Deliverer of World Peace
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ticks- the quick Metal Detecting snack that goes with you wherever you hunt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 6.26.51 PM.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	1165587
    gleaner1 and bfloyd4445 like this.
    Get up late... Start slow... Taper off early...

I am a second level vegetarian. Cow's eat grass. I eat cows.

Half of everything I do today will be wrong. I just don't know which half yet.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    1015 times
    tectin crap
    Buy a 12.8 ounce bottle of martin's ten percent permethrin. How to tick proof your clothes at home with Permethrin .
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    Jul 2012
    MA
    Boxes on sticks, that go beep
    264 times
    Metal Detecting
    Tick population is out of control here in MA...though if this dry spell continues, it will have a big effect. Ticks thrive in a pretty narrow band of high humidity.
    Contrary to what some may think...the significant snow cover this winter, provided excellent insulation/protection for immature ticks and lots of moiture/humidity as it melted.

Permethrin is definitely the way to go...and clothing soak is very effective. Generally speaking, 2 types are available...spray bottle and liquid "soak".

The soak offers very good protection through at least several washes and the spray is great to hit boots and pant cuffs for some added insurance.

Gaiters are a HUGE help...especially when treated also. No need for the mack daddy top of the line gortex type...cheap stretchy ones marketed to trail runners are fine as long as they close/cover the gap between your boots and pant leg.

us
    May 2015
    Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
    Garrett AT Gold
    82 times
    gold
    your right. Out here in ca. i went for a walkin the Dick Fazio wildlife refudge wetlands area and at the end counted at least twenty ticks on me. I brushed them off but when i got home i found several more most teeny tiny but some big ones and not one bite. Chemicals are bad and may give you cancer or some other disease in time so should be avoided. The easy way to protect yourself is to wears boots with long pants with the shirt inside and you should be good to go. Ticks usually only travel a few inches and if they don't come to a hiding spot with flesh they then drop off and climb up another blade of grass to try it again. You don't need to tuck the pants into the boots just wear them over the top and crew socks. If you don't tuck your shirt they may get you around the waist. Most ticks won't make it to your waist before dropping off if you are in grass. Another trick i use which i didnt do today and should have is use walking sticks. I use the sticks to knock any vegitation in front of me that i may brush against before i pass. Shaking the bushes makes the ticks jump and since there is nothing there they end up on the ground instead of you. I'm 68 years old and have been fighting these critters since a kid.
    Please no chemicals
    I almost forgot. The reason for the crew socks is that if the tick gets to the top of your boot they will often bury into the cotton crew sock and thats were you will find them. Found that out wearing shorts in tick country.
    Last edited by bfloyd4445; May 27, 2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: forgot the reason for mentioning socks
    bill_wabo likes this.

Mar 2013
    Bounty Hunter
    288 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    ticks, gypsy moths cattipillers, stink bugs, spiders getting over run
    ‘There once was a time in history when the limitation of governmental power meant increasing liberty for the people. In the present day the limitation of governmental power, of governmental action, means the enslavement of the people by the great corporations, who can only be held in check through the extension of governmental power.’

- Theodore Roosevelt, ‘Limitation of Governmental Power’ address at the Coliseum, San Francisco, September 14, 1912

Nov 2012
    1360 times
    Consumers report that arrived today has some tick data and recommendations as far as repellents. The wal mart stuff seems to be tops.

Apr 2005
    Ohio
    JW Fisher Pulse 8X
    20 times
    A non tocxic solution is Diatomaceous earth, I use food grade.
    Dust it on your pants and clothes before you go out, dust it on your everything that may be exposed to ticks, it kills bugs, ticks, ants, most anything with an exoskeleton. It is also is a good way to get rid of parasites and worms. If you feel sick from the Deet and the permethrin or your liver starts to complain of the poison it has to process, try the D-earth. As soon as an insect encounters it it will run away or die. It is super cheap so the big companies dont want us to find out about it and use it. Oh it works on bedbugs also.

us
    Apr 2013
    Andover, NJ
    Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition Garrett ProPointer
    77 times
    I hate the litte buggers. They are the only thing that really freaks me out. I picked up one yesterday. They seem to enjoy chomping on the back of my knees.

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    819 times
    Guys I've had Lyme disease with two co-infections for ten years. Its almost killed me. At 39 I had to have a pacemaker implanted on an emergency basis because the disease attacked my heart, it has attacked most of my organs and has caused so much pain that I take 30 pills a day for this.
    Don't mess around with these things, ticks will kill you and rob you of life in different ways. I got into metal detecting because my doctor told me if i didn't force myself out of bed and do something the disease would kill me. Not that I can get reinfected but I don't want to carry them into my house and get my family sick so I use this stuff and its a tick killer for sure.
    Take it from someone who knows first hand. You all would be really pissed if you found out where the disease came from and why there is no cure in the USA for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150529_001.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	1168078  
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    23195 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    I was out back yesterday and one fell out of the trees onto my arm,my Son said one fell on the back of His neck.

I don't have to get into their territory,they come to me. Blood Suckin little Savages!

GOD Bless

Chris
    EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

​The Key...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-RjlJ6vWw

No one can be helped until he understands what he himself has been doing wrong and wants to change.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

​My Photos.....https://www.viewbug.com/member/alwayslookin

Nov 2012
    1360 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bzbadger View Post
    Guys I've had Lyme disease with two co-infections for ten years. Its almost killed me. At 39 I had to have a pacemaker implanted on an emergency basis because the disease attacked my heart, it has attacked most of my organs and has caused so much pain that I take 30 pills a day for this.
    Don't mess around with these things, ticks will kill you and rob you of life in different ways. I got into metal detecting because my doctor told me if i didn't force myself out of bed and do something the disease would kill me. Not that I can get reinfected but I don't want to carry them into my house and get my family sick so I use this stuff and its a tick killer for sure.
    Take it from someone who knows first hand. You all would be really pissed if you found out where the disease came from and why there is no cure in the USA for it.
    As with this fellow I to had a round with one of these critters. Mine was ehrichiosis and it effected my lungs, heart and diaphram and a number of years later I still have to live with these effects. Do not take a tick bite lightly. Every single tick bite should be monitored and if any ill effects are noticed make sure you seek help. Fast treatment works and late treatment still works but the damage has been done by that time and the results become permanent. These tick born diseases have mutated with time and like the new hospital infections, require some highly specialized treatments.

ca
    Mar 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    VLF
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bzbadger View Post
    You all would be really pissed if you found out where the disease came from and why there is no cure in the USA for it.
    Enlighten us BzBadger! I'm curious to know.
    Beav
    daemon1971 likes this.

us
    Scott

Jun 2013
    Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
    819 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Beav View Post
    Enlighten us BzBadger! I'm curious to know.
    Beav

During WWII the Germans developed this disease to use on the Russians to kill off their livestock and starve the Russians to death and was implemented however it took too long, the war was over and Germany had lost its livestock so they were supplied with the infected livestock so Germany and Russia are the starting grounds.
    Worst part is at the end of WWII the scientist that made the disease was brought over to the USA to work for us and his main research facility was Plum Island, a bio research facility off upper New York near the new England area. The disease was manufactured on plum island and some of their grey field mice escaped. They didn't bother to do a thing about it.
    Since WWII Germany and Russia have been working on a cure and owned up to the disease but the USA refused to acknowledge anything and since the 70's when the escape occurred and the first case came up in Lyme Connecticut the government still remained quiet until 2002 when the records became public they tried to downplay it. President Bush enacted a new law demanding a better testing procedure be done because the current test is 15% accurate at best, the "bulls eye" mark only shows up on 10% of the cases and you can be bit and it take up to 7 years to show up. There are over 160 symptoms of the disease so it takes a really good Infectious disease Doctor to diagnose it, PLEASE don't rely on your general doctor they don't know their butt from a hole in the ground. 400,000 new cases are documented each year but the CDC say that this is possibly only 10% of the real cases since the disease mimics many other diseases and the doctors order wrong tests or prescribe wrong meds and its their inexperience that's causing the death of thousands each year..more than AIDS does
    To Dig or Not to Dig-That is the Question.

ca
    Mar 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    VLF
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for all that info bz. Many theory's abound for this and many other diseases possibly concocted in labs across the globe. AIDs is another one I have heard theory's on too, but that is getting off topic, so I won't go there....someone may get "tic'd" off! LOL

us
    May 2015
    Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
    Garrett AT Gold
    82 times
    gold
    sorry to hear of your illness. Your doctor is right, stay in bed and die or get out and move and live. Permethrin has itself been implicated is several human diseases and is outlawed in Europe. Your advice about ticks is right on they are nothing to be messed with but if one take the time to learn a bit about there life history you will find it is easy to avoid being bitten. I am 68 and spend a considerable amount of time outdoors in tick habitat and I have never been bitten. I wrote in a post in this thread about a hike last week in which i ended with more ticks on me than i have had in 68 years total but was not bitten even once thank God.
    As for Lyme disease there are new treatments that show promise. If your current treatment isn't working please take the time and find another doctor more up on this disease. I have a friend that ended in a bed like you with lyme disease that his doctor had been treating as Lou gherrings disease. We thought he was a goner but his wife found a different doctor who said he had lyme disease and within three months he was out of bed and able to talk do things almost as good as before. Mike lives in Santa Cruz Ca. We all were amazed at his sudden recovery and I pray you will experiance the same

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links