Ticks Ticks Ticks!!!! They are bad this year!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honey? I know it has serious antibiotic characteristics but had no idea it was being used like that. I will do some checking on it.

I love the Buckwheat and Wildflower honey's. In the mountains, the light clover honey is most common. The darker the honey, the more antioxidants.

"While darker honey is more flavorful and intense than light, it also contains more nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The University of Illinois scientists compared Illinois buckwheat to California sage and found the buckwheat to contain 20 times the amount of antioxidants." Difference between: light and dark honey - ErinNudi.com

My wife and I have used honey for it's anti-inflammatory properties as well. It is...the nectar of the gods. And tastes great mixed with peanut butter on toast.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the Buckwheat and Wildflower honey's. In the mountains, the light clover honey is most common. The darker the honey, the more antioxidants.

"While darker honey is more flavorful and intense than light, it also contains more nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The University of Illinois scientists compared Illinois buckwheat to California sage and found the buckwheat to contain 20 times the amount of antioxidants." Difference between: light and dark honey - ErinNudi.com

My wife and I have used honey for it's anti-inflammatory properties as well. It is...the nectar of the gods. And tastes great mixed with peanut butter on toast.

as a kid everyone ate peanut butter and jam sandwiches but I didn't like them, liked jam sandwiches or peanut butter but not together. Wasnt untill one of my customers mentioned peant butter and honey that i tried it and found out it was great.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other

interesting website but there are some inaccuracies. First one i noticed is they list clover as a light honey and alfalfa as an amber honey when both are exactly the same. All legume honeys are light in color and very mild tasting with subtle delicate tastes that vary with location and weather. Of the five antioxidents so far identified in honey one has been found no where else except in honey. I found that in the book, The Hive and the Honey Bee, in a study done via federal grant.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever they start bugging me, I get ticked off!

funny, thanks for the laugh. :occasion14:
Ticks, mosquitoes, imported black rats I dislike with a passion. Native rats are ok they have a place in the environment but the other's mentioned i would not mind seeing gone. Blood sucking ticks and mosquitoes make me think of politicians most of whom exibite the same traits. Rats make 8 to 16 new rats each month and can bred at one month old trashing their surrondings damageing everything they touch remind me of our race. We breed like rats without control and pollute everything we touch with little thought towards the future result of our actions. As individuals most are good and try to be responsible but as a group we are dispicable creatures worse than any spawned in hollywood.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Best solution you will find, and one that was already mentioned here is Permethrin. It doesnt "repel" ticks. It kills them after a few seconds after contact. The chemical works by attacking ticks nervous system, shorts out and fries their "brain" pretty much. Once they get on your pants and start crawling, you will see their legs start going up above their head, one after the other, then they die and fall off. Seen it many times, this year included. Permethrin is perfectly safe for human use WHEN DILUTED and once it dries. Our skin is easily able to metabolize it, some people might get some redness or irritation from it but I have never had an issue.

I bought a bottle of permethrin concentrate on Amazon, I just dilute a cap or so (specific measurement necessary) in a bucket, soak my clothes in it, put wet clothes in zip lock bags, leave it for a few hours. Hang it outside on a fence and let it dry thoroughly. Do everything with latex gloves on, outside or in a well ventilated area. The good thing is that a treatment like that lasts a few months and a few washes, so you can do a few pairs of pants/shirts, etc. and switch them out every month or so. Do it once and you have tick proof clothing for an entire year. Best stuff ever.

Yes, watch what it does to bugs after a few seconds exposure and then think about what it may do to you after years and years of exposure. Your skin is porous and anything you put on it will get inside your body.
This chemical's long term effects and potential dangers are well documented. Just because it is approved for human use does not mean it is safe. Radium was once approved for human use by the the FDA so was DDT, tobacco, agent orange which is the old name for roundup, the list goes on and on. You only have one life, do you want to take the chance of spending it in a wheel chair or six feet under?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy raw honey 3 pounds at a time, it is considered a super food. I love the Gullberry honey, eat it straight and I mix it with cinnamon, considered another super food. I also eat the bee pollen.....

Ok so what is the daily amount to eat of honey? What's recommended? Any particular good way to eat the dose?
We use to eat a tablespoon before football games to get a boost of energy, our coach was into the honey thing too but that was almost 30 years ago and can't remember it all.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't eat it. You soak your clothes in it so the ticks get stuck.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats nice. Want it or not, you too, my friend get your fair dose of Permethrin since it is used as an insecticide on farms. I see you have your own farm, you ought to know. Also, ingesting it is a whole lot worse for you than coming in contact with your skin. Absorption through skin is minimal, in fact, according to FDA guide (http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Permtech.pdf) to reach a "Low Toxicity" level you would need to absorb 2 grams (I took the lowest number, they give a range of 2 grams to 5 grams) of Permethrin per 1 kilogram of your body mass. Which means that a 200lbs individual would have to absorb 180 grams (6.35 ounces) of PURE Permethrin through skin. That being said, I dont even know where to get pure Permethrin, the concentrate I have is 36.8%. Keep in mind that you use a bottle cap of 36.8% concentrate per few gallons of water.

...All that being said the amount of actual chemical getting onto your clothes is miniscule. Even less gets absorbed into your skin.

Not arguing the fact that chemicals can be dangerous, yes they can, but so can everything else, such as oxygen, if you breath pure oxygen for too long it can reach toxic levels in your body. To each is own, but I am willing to risk a skin rash if that means I wont get limes disease. Carry on.

What you say is correct. I was one of the guys working in the environmental field, in research and compliance testing helping to establish real limits.
However there are things involved here that most are not aware of. For one many standards are not backed by any scientific research but are simply numbers picked out of the air to provide a starting point until science confirms or refutes that published limit. Second and most important is the fact that manmade chemicals are not good for your body and you only will ever have one body. Do you want to take a chance with your future health just because big brother says it won't hurt you? Remember big brother said DDT, agent orange, radium, etc. wouldn't hurt you just like they are currently saying about all the new poisons. When DDT was new it was billed as 100% safe and you were given a dusting of it for lice back in the fifties. Look at PCB's,< polyclorinated biphenlols>, there is still a permissable exposure level published for them and science has proven that even at levels of a few parts per billion PCB's are not safe.

My point is we can't afford to take chances with the only living body we will ever have.

My farm has never had chemicals applied on it. I bought it from the family that pioneered the land in the 1880's. I worked for EPA for 24 years and am well aware of the methods used to set exposure limits for chemicals by our government. Exposure limits never go up over time always down as the limit is adjusted under pressure from the scientific community and people like me that don't use any manmade chemicals.

Wishing all a great day.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coming back to the original theme of this thread, yes - ticks are bad this year. Our story from this week:
When my son and I go out hunting (for shiny stuff, not animals - not that there's anything wrong with that) we're usually well protected: long pants, cuffs tucked into socks, bug spray all over pants, shoes and socks. This year I even invested in gaiters for us, I'm that paranoid about ticks.
But, this past Thursday we made an "unscheduled, unplanned" stop to do a quick search and we were only wearing shorts and sandals. I should have said "no" as the parent, but I didn't. We were in the field (a path with leaves and occasional low grass, with just a few tufts of knee-high brush). We were out for 30 minutes, maybe 45. We checked ourselves afterward visually for ticks and didn't see any, so we thought we were OK.
And we woke up on Friday with one tick each; mine was on the back of my knee and his was...somewhere more sensitive. We got them off quickly, probably 12-18 hours after they got on, so I think we'll be fine.

The moral (for me at least): NEVER go unprepared into the woods/fields. Prepare however you think you should prepare, every time. No exceptions. A stupid little silver coin (or clad, or junk - which is much more common of course) isn't worth being sick for the rest of my life with Lyme.
For me preparing is long pants, gaiters, boots, socks and bug spray. (I kind of feel like I'm going into combat...which in a way I am).

Happy - and safe - Hunting.

Brian

lazabert

May 11, 2015
Broad Brook, ct
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE 250 & 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the country-- got a shepard as well-- we use bug spray ..It's not just for mosquitos....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm currently still on antibiotics from a tick bite. Darn thing must of fallen off a leaf or from brush onto my head & attached itself to my scalp in the back of my head. I felt an itch in that spot & removed properly. Not sure how long there, just a few minutes...he was still flat. Anyway, 2 days later my right side lymph node swelled, then 3 days after that I had a knot the side of a walnut in the tick bitten site. OMG, I nearly had heart failure feeling that knot. Needless to say, I've not been bitten in years & years. Never had a knot either. Heck, I even raise guinea fowl to control the ticks. LOL!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming back to the original theme of this thread, yes - ticks are bad this year. Our story from this week:
When my son and I go out hunting (for shiny stuff, not animals - not that there's anything wrong with that) we're usually well protected: long pants, cuffs tucked into socks, bug spray all over pants, shoes and socks. This year I even invested in gaiters for us, I'm that paranoid about ticks.
But, this past Thursday we made an "unscheduled, unplanned" stop to do a quick search and we were only wearing shorts and sandals. I should have said "no" as the parent, but I didn't. We were in the field (a path with leaves and occasional low grass, with just a few tufts of knee-high brush). We were out for 30 minutes, maybe 45. We checked ourselves afterward visually for ticks and didn't see any, so we thought we were OK.
And we woke up on Friday with one tick each; mine was on the back of my knee and his was...somewhere more sensitive. We got them off quickly, probably 12-18 hours after they got on, so I think we'll be fine.

The moral (for me at least): NEVER go unprepared into the woods/fields. Prepare however you think you should prepare, every time. No exceptions. A stupid little silver coin (or clad, or junk - which is much more common of course) isn't worth being sick for the rest of my life with Lyme.
For me preparing is long pants, gaiters, boots, socks and bug spray. (I kind of feel like I'm going into combat...which in a way I am).

Brian

Brian, I think I posted this already but for your safety and your sons please don't believe for o e second that because u got those ticks off in a short time you are Ok. As soon as a tick bites and starts to feed it regurgitates what's in it's stomach back into the hole it created in you thereby dumping its stomach content into you which could very well contain the Lyme spirochete. I'm sure its too late now to have the ticks tested as u may have disposed of them. Please check out a Lyme disease website and educate yourself on symptoms and only 10-15% of the time does the bull's-eye mark show up. There are over 160 symptoms

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other

Brian
Out west I get by wearing crew or higher cotton socks and shorts without ever getting bitten. I find ticks hiding in the crew socks near the top but never on my skin. Your problem came about because you didn't read my earlier post regarding 65 years of dealing with ticks and what I have learned. Because you had no socks the ticks were on your skin and then they travel to the first place with a fold they can hide then sink their teeth in your flesh. The trick is to give them some place else to bury there heads and they will. Spays are never necessary with proper precautions and only expose your body to carcinogenic materials that will eventually allow cancer to develope. Why take that chance when there are safe alternatives. tick sprays use neurotoxic poisons which kill brain cells! I know you have tons of those to spare so they are not important right? Neurons do not regenerate unfortunately.

ToniWalker

Jun 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks can cause various problems, therefore it is recommended to chose best pest control services near your area.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guinea fowl actually cause the Lyme disease ticks to spread. They don't eat them!

I use pyrethrin horse spray. Kills everything! Even stops stable flys that other bug sprays don't!

ThomasJames

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many products that are available in the market that can help to get rid of ticks. Ticks can be controlled either by trying some pesticide sprays or by calling a professional. Ticks are the problem that should be controlled as soon as possible because they spread from pets to humans. So if you have pets at your home, you should take care on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each their own but I for one am not into dowsing myself or my property in poison.
When I bought the place we are now it was completely overloaded with ticks.
I drug a sheet in circles around the house moving outward toward the woods, had the kids in the driveway with jars of alcohol pick the ticks off the sheets and drop them in the jars.
That netted 5 or 600 hundred ticks. Then I burned off 3 acres closest to the house. Have had maybe 3 ticks since then.
If I have to go somewhere I will encounter ticks, I lather up with bath soap and leave it to dry on my skin, works good for me. Check you local area, I'm sure you can find older ladies that make all kinds of good goat soaps, some just to repel ticks and chiggers

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread