Ticks Ticks Ticks!!!! They are bad this year!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard of some chemical that you buy at tractor supply and dilute it down and spray your clothes with it and let it dry. Supposed to last a few time out as long as you don't wash your clothes. Supposed to kill them pretty quick. I also read that you are NOT supposed to spray it on your clothes while you are wearing them, hang them on a line to spray them. This product is not supposed to get on your skin when wet.

I don't recall the name of the product or if it actually works, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer.

HH

Vdubguy

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I treat my boots every spring with this stuff, Permetherin think it said on the spray can.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just out in the garage this morning, spraying my hiking clothes with Permethrin, as a deterrent against ticks, black flies and mosquitoes bites. Permethrin is the active ingredient on Insect Shield and Buzz-Off clothing. It is an insecticide that kills bugs that land on clothing treated with it, and not simply a repellent like DEET. I used this same strategy last year, in addition to wearing lightly colored long pants and shirts, and it worked quite well. I was also able to avoid applying DEET to my skin, but for a handful of occasions, all year long.

Monkworks

Jan 20, 2015
Ont
Detector(s) used
BH, ATP, Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a product called Thermacell. Check Youtube for reviews apparently its good for ticks, even though the box doesn't say so and its not cheap because its a unit you put on your belt and it runs a flame on a puck of ~stuff~, produces a smoke, keeps all bugs away ten feet square...

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Low Country South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
well, i moved to sc from ct. our inland season starts late sept. this year, i quit early may. we have no issue with ticks. no seeums--deet is like candy for them. mosquitoes--haven't really been to bothered--but bug spray works. another pest--fire ants--don't want to mess with those suckers. we also have our share of snakes--i dug an eastern diamond back out of a den in december--a small one and sluggish--but still has fangs. so-summers in the south are made for beach detecting and cold beer. :)

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1 for the ticks in Mass. Maybe something to do with the hard winter?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Set a friend up with some permethrin spray in the large pump bottle before his group headed to tickville at their property for a week.https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/
One person had a tick on them after arriving but had not treated their clothing yet.
There are cautions on it's use.
Keep away from cats when wet,don't huff the fumes,keep from direct contact, allow clothing to thoroughly dry,ect..
Their review of the Sawyer product in comparing to their last trips attempts was very good.
I am by no means pushing their brand, but offering a review of permethrin is all.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to let the hubs know about all of these and see what is readily available. I have used the skin so soft for myself for many years when we are out digging (its just not a man's thing according to hubs..LOL) but sure keeps the bugs and no see ums away. Thanks !!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can cover your body in an inch of axle grease and the ticks cannot get in
the clean up is another thing though

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got hit today with my 2nd tick in 2 weeks - both in my own yard! Never had an issue before and last fall I repaired a hole in the stockade fencing in the backyard that deer were using to cross through my yard and eat my plants. I also sprayed deer repellent on my plants in the front yard, which is working great. So the tick problem must really be bad this year after all that and I'm still getting bit.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 6.26.30 PM.png

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ticks- the quick Metal Detecting snack that goes with you wherever you hunt.

Screen Shot 2015-05-23 at 6.26.51 PM.png

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tick population is out of control here in MA...though if this dry spell continues, it will have a big effect. Ticks thrive in a pretty narrow band of high humidity.
Contrary to what some may think...the significant snow cover this winter, provided excellent insulation/protection for immature ticks and lots of moiture/humidity as it melted.

Permethrin is definitely the way to go...and clothing soak is very effective. Generally speaking, 2 types are available...spray bottle and liquid "soak".

The soak offers very good protection through at least several washes and the spray is great to hit boots and pant cuffs for some added insurance.

Gaiters are a HUGE help...especially when treated also. No need for the mack daddy top of the line gortex type...cheap stretchy ones marketed to trail runners are fine as long as they close/cover the gap between your boots and pant leg.

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
your right. Out here in ca. i went for a walkin the Dick Fazio wildlife refudge wetlands area and at the end counted at least twenty ticks on me. I brushed them off but when i got home i found several more most teeny tiny but some big ones and not one bite. Chemicals are bad and may give you cancer or some other disease in time so should be avoided. The easy way to protect yourself is to wears boots with long pants with the shirt inside and you should be good to go. Ticks usually only travel a few inches and if they don't come to a hiding spot with flesh they then drop off and climb up another blade of grass to try it again. You don't need to tuck the pants into the boots just wear them over the top and crew socks. If you don't tuck your shirt they may get you around the waist. Most ticks won't make it to your waist before dropping off if you are in grass. Another trick i use which i didnt do today and should have is use walking sticks. I use the sticks to knock any vegitation in front of me that i may brush against before i pass. Shaking the bushes makes the ticks jump and since there is nothing there they end up on the ground instead of you. I'm 68 years old and have been fighting these critters since a kid.
Please no chemicals
I almost forgot. The reason for the crew socks is that if the tick gets to the top of your boot they will often bury into the cotton crew sock and thats were you will find them. Found that out wearing shorts in tick country.

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticks, gypsy moths cattipillers, stink bugs, spiders getting over run

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread