Bizarre Situation. Request to tap your knowledge base.

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching the location of a flour mill in my area. The flour mill was built in 1645 and was in operation for 250+ years.

I am sure I have found the correct location. I began hunting the perimeter today. The area is on the shoreline of a creek and the ground is primarily sand. The only time I can get to the area is at low tide. At high tide the area is submerged by 4 1/2 feet.

Anyway here is the bizarre situation.

Approximately 50 feet from the wood pilings I ran across a mucky area with no growth whatsoever and a few inches of water in some spots. This mucky area is surrounded by thick 1 1/2 foot beach grass and was dry. In and immediately around this mucky area I found numerous wood pilings. I decided to run my Minelab 305 in the water and an inch or two above the muck. On all settings AM, 1 and 2 I got a aolid 4 and in some spots a 16 and 32. I then set the 305 to pinpoint mode. The entire area was triggering the 305 with two circles. I then went back outside the muck and the 305 went back to normal. I retested the muck with the same results. To make matters worse I marked the coordinates with spyglass an app on my iPhone that I have been using for many years. I have never received inaccurate coordinates using spyglass. I have some land navigation training from when I went to the military SERE course in 2007. Anyway I marked the spot X2 and both times the GPS marked me 590-600 feet away. I ran across a similar situation during SERE training in Spokane Washington using a compass. We ran into a Mesa with a lot of iron in it at which time the compass was acting erratic. But I am unaware of any ground condition that would effect a GPS.

So my questions to you experienced guys are:

1. If the Millhouse was located on top of the area in question would the foundation cause the non vegetation and mucky wet surface.

2. Is there and natural condition in the ground that would cause the 305 to read the entire area as 4, 16 and 32 and the pinpoint function to alert strongly on the entire spot.

3. Has anyone ever seen two different GPS readings being so inaccurate?

I am not a believer in the occult or any other paranormal things. I don't believe in ghosts. I am not afraid of the dark. I don't believe people are following me. And I don't don't hear voices. No alcohol or mind altering drugs.

Can anyone give me a logical explanation of the above? Is there a natural anomaly that can cause this occurrence?

Help please. I don't want to go for a psychological.

Thanks
Zman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I can not explain the GPS issue. I will go back to the same spot when tides permit and get coordinates again. I will use Spyglass and another app I have. I will advise of the new coordinates.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Terry. I can not explain the GPS issue. I will go back to the same spot when tides permit and get coordinates again. I will use Spyglass and another app I have. I will advise of the new coordinates.

Get the coordinates again, confirm they are correct, advise us of your findings but don't post the coordinates here! If you do post the coordinates here or anywhere, it is likely that you will have unwanted company the next time you go there.

Frank

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was this mill on pilings? If the area was under that much water often, a bad place to put a building. I LOVE to hunt OLD, OLD sites like this one! TTC

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still trying to determine the exact location of the mill. From historic maps it appears that parts of it would have been on the Pilings.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!!! Additional research disclosed that the area I am hunting is a salt marsh. This may explain why there is unvegitated area. Does anyone have experience hunting in a salt marsh. Also I found several what appear to be rocks that trigger the Minelab 305. Will wash them and send photos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions