Bizarre Situation. Request to tap your knowledge base.

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching the location of a flour mill in my area. The flour mill was built in 1645 and was in operation for 250+ years.

I am sure I have found the correct location. I began hunting the perimeter today. The area is on the shoreline of a creek and the ground is primarily sand. The only time I can get to the area is at low tide. At high tide the area is submerged by 4 1/2 feet.

Anyway here is the bizarre situation.

Approximately 50 feet from the wood pilings I ran across a mucky area with no growth whatsoever and a few inches of water in some spots. This mucky area is surrounded by thick 1 1/2 foot beach grass and was dry. In and immediately around this mucky area I found numerous wood pilings. I decided to run my Minelab 305 in the water and an inch or two above the muck. On all settings AM, 1 and 2 I got a aolid 4 and in some spots a 16 and 32. I then set the 305 to pinpoint mode. The entire area was triggering the 305 with two circles. I then went back outside the muck and the 305 went back to normal. I retested the muck with the same results. To make matters worse I marked the coordinates with spyglass an app on my iPhone that I have been using for many years. I have never received inaccurate coordinates using spyglass. I have some land navigation training from when I went to the military SERE course in 2007. Anyway I marked the spot X2 and both times the GPS marked me 590-600 feet away. I ran across a similar situation during SERE training in Spokane Washington using a compass. We ran into a Mesa with a lot of iron in it at which time the compass was acting erratic. But I am unaware of any ground condition that would effect a GPS.

So my questions to you experienced guys are:

1. If the Millhouse was located on top of the area in question would the foundation cause the non vegetation and mucky wet surface.

2. Is there and natural condition in the ground that would cause the 305 to read the entire area as 4, 16 and 32 and the pinpoint function to alert strongly on the entire spot.

3. Has anyone ever seen two different GPS readings being so inaccurate?

I am not a believer in the occult or any other paranormal things. I don't believe in ghosts. I am not afraid of the dark. I don't believe people are following me. And I don't don't hear voices. No alcohol or mind altering drugs.

Can anyone give me a logical explanation of the above? Is there a natural anomaly that can cause this occurrence?

Help please. I don't want to go for a psychological.

Thanks
Zman

Upvote 0

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love your picture, Have much luck with the ladies?

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have to put a mask on.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if you were in a location which is making it difficult to receive signal from the GPS satellites (foliage and trees) then yes it can be off that much. If you only acquired three satellites for example instead of 4.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, if you were in a location which is making it difficult to receive signal from the GPS satellites (foliage and trees) then yes it can be off that much. If you only acquired three satellites for example instead of 4. Weather conditions (clouds or moisture) can also cause this.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather was fine. No foliage and I took GPS readings no more than 25 feet away yesterday that were accurate. I will try again on Monday. The whole thing is weird. Unless the foundation is causing the water to pool there when the rest of the creek already is in low tide.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Wild guess long shot: the array pattern of the pilings throws the phase of the GPS signal off, resulting in oddball errors that don't seem to make sense and aren't of the kind you encounter due to ordinary "weak signal" conditions.

I didn't follow your entire post or description, and I'm no expert on GPS. But here's a way you can test the theory (and probably already have). If my theory is correct, then you will see oddball errors over the pilings. But if you add the width of the piling array to the depth of the pilings and then walk away from the piling array a distance greater than twice that number, the errors you see should be of the ordinary kind and not of the spooky kind.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Woof. I am going back next week. Because of the tide table I probably won't be able to to it till about Wednesday. However what would make that area lack any vegetation and make the ground so mucky. The ground outside the perimeter is damp sand at low tide with heavy beach grass growth. Also the Minelab seems to go off the chart when swinging anywhere over the muck. I am still thinking this all has to do with the materials they used for the foundation. If they used a lot of re-bar type material and a lot of concrete maybe the re-bar would make the make the Minelab act like that and the concrete would not allow the water to be naturally absorbed by the sand. Maybe even an oil or other steel underground storage tank. The GPS coordinates are a different issue and may be a fluke. This is easily re-checked.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe something way below ground coming up to prevent vegetation growth inside the circle.
Not trying to get occult but I saw a similar thing on one of the unexplained files episodes.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or it could just be a vault of some kind that was buried under the piling that have lots of lead in them making the signal act magnetic.....just a guess.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was built in 1645. It operated for 250+ years. It was burned down in 1935. I will research more. Will advise what I find.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds to me as if there may be a large buried Iron tank or other Iron containers under the muck that may be retaining Salt Water, causing an electrical current or magnetic charge and causing the GPS to go haywire. The lack of real drainage of the Salt Water by itself could be causing the lack of plant life but there could also be some contaminants that were buried in the tank or containers. There are a lot of things that come to mind that could possibly cause all of the things you noted. What if they buried a ton of coins in the muck inside Iron chests of other containers. The metal in the coins, combined with the Salt Water and possibly the Iron may be causing the electrical current or magnetic charge throwing off the GPS. I would advise obtaining or making a metal probe to probe the entire muck area to see what you hit. You can make your own by welding a T-bar onto the smallest Steel Rebar available, then sharping the probe end but then blunting the tip to prevent damaging valuable items. Who knows what is down there but hopefully you will hit the jackpot and come out with a nice treasure! My nephew David lives on his grandparent's farm on his Dad's side. In the woods above the home, an old Wagon Road runs through the property and there are the burnt out remnants of an old barn, out buildings and an old Bootlegger's home. While poking around there one day, David stepped into what he thought was a hole. When he got his' booted foot out and inspected the hole, he found a rusted out 55 gallon drum buried in the ground and it was 3/4's full of Nickels. Being poor, he pulled out all of the Nickels that he could, rolled them and cashed them in at the Bank. Hell, I could have strangled him for doing so as I am sure that there were many Semi-Key and Key Date coins that he took to the Bank as the Nickels ranged from Liberty "V" Nickels, to Buffalo Nickels to early Jefferson Nickels.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Huntsman

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just today the locations on my mapping on the I-pad listed businesses not where they actually are, I am familiar with the area and know where the businesses are. Maybe a satellite thing, IDK.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I go with Huntsman. The use of rebar wasn't perfected until the beginning of the 20th Century. That does not match the age of the site.

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I thought about some sort of storage tank. I will try again on Wednesday. That is the next low tide.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks I thought about some sort of storage tank. I will try again on Wednesday. That is the next low tide.

If you are working alone and in a remote area, safety is a concern for unknowns such as the muck area. I carry ropes to tie myself off to a sturdy tree some 20 to 30 feet from where I am working. My' secret Gold spot is a stream with an underground stream flowing into it. I have been told that the underground stream may be flowing through an eroding Volcanic Pipe and is bringing Gold into the stream I prospect on. However, where it enters the flowing stream, it is plugged with big boulders and if I ever get one or more out, who knows what might happen. At least if I am tied off, I don't have to worry about falling to far into a hole!

Frank

OP
OP
zman1403

zman1403

May 2, 2015
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pinpoiten
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks huntsman. Excellent advise. I will keep you advised and send photos when low tide permits.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks huntsman. Excellent advise. I will keep you advised and send photos when low tide permits.

That would be great! It is hard for us to envision the spot without seeing pics and besides, it has peaked our interest! In fact, I would love to run an old White's analog Metal Detector across the spot! Back in my early days of metal detecting, I found many a piece of large degraded Iron in the ground as well as voids in the ground and even the entrance to an underground bunker dating to the Civil War that was just off the entrance way into a Fort and which held 3 cases of Brown Bess Rifles, gunpowder, bullets and more. When encountering these and with the Threshold set to where you could slightly hear it, if you came across these and the signal made a "Vooop" type sound just before going totally silent, this indicated a large piece of degraded Iron, a void in the ground or even a tunnel.

Frank

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not think the pilings or underground structure could affect the GPS. The reason the world went to GPS was to be sure the system was not disturbed by earth-based anomalies. Assuming. of course, you have a clear pic of the sky. (incidentally, clouds and moister have no effect on GPS) TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread