400 Yr. Aztec Ring?

Louie02

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aztec Cult Ring found in Los Angles park 50 years ago. Top of ring image is the Aztec God Tlalteuctli/Quetzalcoatl and sides have two helmeted soldiers. Believe this was a cult of the Aztec's that believed Cortes was the returning God Quetzalcoatl. Ring looks as if it was casted in sand. Top and side images look as if it is gold, but when tested, shown it was not gold, but has not tarnished over the years. This might be the early native metal mixture called "Tumbaga". Any suggestions. ring3.jpg ring2.jpg ring1.jpg ring.jpg

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
no, not 400 yrs. old. Just someone using an ancient motif to put on a new ring.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely does not look like the buttery surface of Tumbaga. Unless the color is slightly off in the photos, I would think no. Additionally, most Tumbaga pieces I've personally seen (I've gone to a few exhibits) all seemed to be large in cast detail. the kind of fine detail on that ring is not something I recall seeing in any Tumbaga piece. Maybe the underlying ring part is? While I cannot dispute or validate any claim to age, it's definitely an interesting ring. Have you considered taking it to a museum curator for inspection? My first roman coin was authenticated at the Smithsonian (a pair of them actually). Was quite the experience, as I'd "saved" them since I was 8 years old. Who knew they were 1700 years old coins?

That being said, you might also consider calling around to various Universities. Your pictures are good enough they might be able to confirm/deny on those alone.

Interestingly theory about the sand cast, though. Definitely looks like it!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a different ring I have not seen one before!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the ring itself was cast, and the icons were attached later somehow. This makes me wonder. Cool ring!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unless they were able to solder 400 yrs ago this ring is a more recent reproduction.such items were widely reproduced during the archealogical rennaisance period..1930s-1960s.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking a souvenir from Mexico.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread