Requesting permission to search church-owned property (not a church or cemetary)
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TerryC
  • 1 Post By cudamark

Thread: Requesting permission to search church-owned property (not a church or cemetary)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2013
    NJ
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F22, Garrett Pro Pointer
    222 times
    Coin roll searching, MD'ing, gemstone & fossil shark tooth hunting, and drag racing

Requesting permission to search church-owned property (not a church or cemetary)

There is a large old home near me that predates the Civil War and might have been used as an overnight stop for travelers or a stage coach line going from Philly to NYC. It's been left to rot - windows left open 24/7, no attempt at any repairs, etc. - which in itself is kinda sad. (side note: I see too many historic homes/structures throughout NJ left to rot because of family squabbles over inheritance, abandonment, bankruptcy/foreclosures, etc.)

I spoke to one of the neighbors who said small church around the corner owns the property. The church's website addy doesn't work but I did find the name of the person listed (several years ago) as the Registered Owner of the url. I plan on calling the church's main office and inquiring about the property but first I thought I'd ask you all on T'net if I should be approaching the church any differently than I would a private home owner when asking for permission to hunt. Thoughts?

FYI - As much as I would LOVE to get inside the building, it's likely no longer structurally safe enough to attempt it. There is an elevated front porch that's about 3' - 3.5' off the ground which I will hunt under if I get the ok from the church.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger. Homemade re-circulator
    9407 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Go for it! Directly to the church. You can't lose. Worst case, they can only say no. They can't hit you. Don't tell them you will be digging holes. Leave them to assume it. Tell them you are searching for items that will relate to local history, such as advertising tokens, newspapers with old dates, locally made items. Then when you get permission, RESPECT the site by filling holes dug and no permanent changes to the general lay of the site. Good luck! TTC
    Loco-Digger and Sandman like this.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but it's about learning to dance in the rain.

I have hunted several church owned properties over the years.Usually there is no problem getting permission. The problem I have often faced is actually getting face time with the pastor or deacon of the church. I never like to ask over the phone. In smaller churches the pastor may have another job to supplement his income and may only be a church on Wed and Sundays. In a larger church you may have to make appointment since larger church pastors have lots of duties. But being persistent will pay off.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9300 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I'd go to the church around the corner and talk with someone first. If there is never anyone there, check with the county tax records to see who owns the land. I'd approach them just as I would a private party. Be presentable, polite and offer to return anything that is known to be lost there and can be identified.
    Sandman likes this.
    ​Avitech Associate

us
    May 2013
    NJ
    222 times
    Coin roll searching, MD'ing, gemstone & fossil shark tooth hunting, and drag racing
    Good advice! Thanks, guys. It does appear to be a small church (no denomination for the ministry listed on the sign out front) and I won't be around the next few Sundays so I might have to either stop there this evening or call the office.

us
    Dennis

Dec 2014
    MA
    Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
    473 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree with everybody nothing to lose , worst case scenario , they say no
    I have a blog it may be helpful
    Metal Detectors - View Blog

good luck let us know if you find anything
    Dennis Gareau
    Managing Director
    MetalDetectors.com
    dgareau@metaldetectors.com
    866-749-9506

us
    May 2013
    NJ
    222 times
    Thanks, Dennis. Some good info there.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links