Requesting permission to search church-owned property (not a church or cemetary)

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a large old home near me that predates the Civil War and might have been used as an overnight stop for travelers or a stage coach line going from Philly to NYC. It's been left to rot - windows left open 24/7, no attempt at any repairs, etc. - which in itself is kinda sad. (side note: I see too many historic homes/structures throughout NJ left to rot because of family squabbles over inheritance, abandonment, bankruptcy/foreclosures, etc.)

I spoke to one of the neighbors who said small church around the corner owns the property. The church's website addy doesn't work but I did find the name of the person listed (several years ago) as the Registered Owner of the url. I plan on calling the church's main office and inquiring about the property but first I thought I'd ask you all on T'net if I should be approaching the church any differently than I would a private home owner when asking for permission to hunt. Thoughts?

FYI - As much as I would LOVE to get inside the building, it's likely no longer structurally safe enough to attempt it. There is an elevated front porch that's about 3' - 3.5' off the ground which I will hunt under if I get the ok from the church.

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go for it! Directly to the church. You can't lose. Worst case, they can only say no. They can't hit you. Don't tell them you will be digging holes. Leave them to assume it. Tell them you are searching for items that will relate to local history, such as advertising tokens, newspapers with old dates, locally made items. Then when you get permission, RESPECT the site by filling holes dug and no permanent changes to the general lay of the site. Good luck! TTC

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted several church owned properties over the years.Usually there is no problem getting permission. The problem I have often faced is actually getting face time with the pastor or deacon of the church. I never like to ask over the phone. In smaller churches the pastor may have another job to supplement his income and may only be a church on Wed and Sundays. In a larger church you may have to make appointment since larger church pastors have lots of duties. But being persistent will pay off.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go to the church around the corner and talk with someone first. If there is never anyone there, check with the county tax records to see who owns the land. I'd approach them just as I would a private party. Be presentable, polite and offer to return anything that is known to be lost there and can be identified.

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Good advice! Thanks, guys. It does appear to be a small church (no denomination for the ministry listed on the sign out front) and I won't be around the next few Sundays so I might have to either stop there this evening or call the office.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everybody nothing to lose , worst case scenario , they say no
I have a blog it may be helpful
Metal Detectors - View Blog